Getting a PS3...

We bought a new PS2 for my younger son for his upcoming birthday ... maybe I should start a new thread to talk about that since I'm new to the whole PS2 world ...

The PS2 is probably the best system you can buy new for games. There's just such a huge library, with very, very, very many solid titles to choose from.

If you like cars, get Gran Turismo 4. I nearly burned up my PS2 playing my copy. I spent untold hours upon hours, to the point that my garage had over 300 cars, and I had some 70% done. And mostly all I did was challenge series at a forum I moderate at.

Onimusha is similar to earlier Resident Evils, but more action oriented. It's also fun as all get out, though again, I suck at it.

Wizardry and HOMM are good as well; old school in the extreme. HOMM is basically King's Bounty (the original!) with the names changed up.

I have some 60 PS2 games, most of which range from decent to outstanding.

The only downside to the PS2 is finding a lot of those titles now. Most places like Gamestop, etc, don't carry many PS2 titles anymore. I've purchased most of my PS2 games off Ebay.

The only downside to the PS2 is finding a lot of those titles now. Most places like Gamestop, etc, don't carry many PS2 titles anymore. I've purchased most of my PS2 games off Ebay.

That is why I love using Goozex. His primary desire is Kingdom Hearts (he and a few friends are huge fans), so I have already gotten that, and am waiting on KHII and the Chain of Memories remake.

In addition, I have a huge Sonic Chronicles, FF XII, and Dragon Quest VIII. And just requested Gran Turismo and will have it prior to his birthday ... and all of it for less than I got trading out my spare copy of Divinity II ... :)

Well, since we're going, any suggestions? I know both kids will use it heavily, so most genres are fair game - but they have to be T or below.

I bought a PS2 for the Metal Gear Solid series and Final Fantasy, so those are the ones I have played.

Thanks, but since I barely use the Wii I'm not really looking for anything for me.

I thought you were going to get a ps2? That is a ps2 rpg game. Story in the same vein as SMT devil survivor for the DS.

EDIT: "for your younger son", i didnt read that bit before. Move along...

Both Gamestops near me have several large bins full of used PS2 titles,

Same here, but it's 99% shovelware. It's very unlikely that you're going to find any quality titles there, especially if you're looking for RPGs. You have to go with Ebay or Amazon to get the good stuff.

Only 2 Gamestops near you? You truly do live in the Middle of Nowhere. ;)

I've read that PS2 sales are finally dropping off. The console had an amazing run, selling in truckloads for years, and then continuing to sell very well even for years beyond the launch of the PS3 (often outselling the PS3). It seems to finally have come to an end. It is still selling, but the numbers are dramatically down over the last several months.

What a run... I even bought two of them myself, at various points, though I always ended up selling them back. Most of the time, I don't play games for enough hours in the week to make having two consoles necessary.

Only 2 Gamestops near you? You truly do live in the Middle of Nowhere. ;)

"Near" is relative; it's a 15 min drive for me (I plead the 5th on how long it is for other people). They're also both within walking distance of each other, under a mile and a half or so. At least, if you're fast and lucky enough to not get run down crossing the road. Stop lights around here were made to be run, apparently.

I actually got quite a few good RPGs out of those bins in the past. DQVIII, Valkryie Profile 2, the aforementioned Wizardry and HOMM games, etc... Even got the GTA box set, with all three PS2 GTA games. Of course, as time wears on, the good stuff will become rarer, as people like me never trade good games in. Especially not to a scam outfit like Gamestop; I never trade anything there, and never buy "new" since you're just getting a copy that's been played by half the staff there anyway.

Sadly, there's no where to go for PC games at all. Both Gamestops have abandoned the market. There's one small rack, shared with the Gamecube games, in the one in the mall. The other one offers nothing. Amazon is my only recourse there. I guess I could try Best Buy, but I haven't been back to that once since I walked in at Christmas a few years back, and there was a half dozen employees standing around chatting while only one checkout was open. The lnie wrapped around the building.

Are you talking about Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land? If so, then you were fortunate indeed to find that at a Gamestop. It's a fairly rare title, and I paid a decent price for mine on Ebay.

Regarding Best Buy: I despise that place, and try not to buy anything there unless I have no other alternative. I'm not a big fan of Gamestop either though...

Could be where you live.

Here in NYC there are 5 Gamestops I usually go to and they have a ton of PS2 games and even a decent selection of Gamecube games. Xbox games are very hard to find though.

I'm actually excited since a new store opened by where I live that sells used titles for much less than Gamestop - but I'm excited because they have a nice selection of BRAND NEW PS2 games that I've missed. They had Digital Devil Saga 2 and a bunch of other usually hard to find Japanese RPGs along with a bunch of games I've actually NOT seen in a Gamestop since getting the PS2 2 years ago (late adopter here as well).

But yeah, I agree the PS2 is still such an excellent system. SO many great games.

I thought you were going to get a ps2? That is a ps2 rpg game. Story in the same vein as SMT devil survivor for the DS.

Yeah, we *have* a Wii, and I only use it at family gaming times, despite having a few games such as Residen Evil 4 for myself ...

Are you talking about Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land? If so, then you were fortunate indeed to find that at a Gamestop. It's a fairly rare title, and I paid a decent price for mine on Ebay.

Regarding Best Buy: I despise that place, and try not to buy anything there unless I have no other alternative. I'm not a big fan of Gamestop either though…

I'm not a fan of either. I go to a local place called Replays. They have everything from Atari 2600 games up to current. No PC stuff though, and it's all used. So for new titles (that haven't been used and then repackaged as new) it's Best Buy or online for me. For newer used stuff (PS2 up) Gamestop is really it (or online). Replays is good for tracking down hard to find older stuff, and the occasional import.

That is the Wizardry I referred to. I didn't know it was rare; I found it in the $5 bin. Still with the original case sleeve and everything. I wouldn't know the going price though, since this has been a couple of years, and I never resell anything unless it's absolutely horrid *coughSonic2006cough*.

I bought a PS3 too, especially to play the ucoming Heavy rain.......Can anyone recommend me some good PS3 games ????

I bought a PS3 too, especially to play the ucoming Heavy rain…….Can anyone recommend me some good PS3 games ????

I think Heavy Rain is going to be a lot of fun. Did you play the demo yet?

Games that I'd recommend include Uncharted, Uncharted 2, and Sonic's Mega Collection. If you like first-person shooters get Resistance: Fall of Man, and Resistance 2. Valkyria Chronicles is good if you're looking for a tactical turn-based RPG.

We gave my son his PS2 yesterday ... he was totally amped.

Games he got:
- Kingdom Hearts
- Final Fantasy XII
- Dragon Quest VIII
- Sonic Mega Collection +
- Katamari Damacy
- Gran Turismo 4

Any other thoughts for someone who isn't into shooters and is restricted to T-rated games and below? (I'm waiting for Kingdom Hearts II and the KH:Chain of Memories remake)

Back
Top Bottom