Skyrim not digging it

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Fail troll Blizzard fanboy is fail. Comparing Skyrimjob with Diablo is retarded.
Somebody doesn't like a game I like and points out the negative aspects of it, IT MUST BE A TROLL!
-10 posts later, still haven't made any valid arguments for why it is a good game-
Why do u even care? if u hate fun so much jsut don't play it.
U are just jelly of my fun!

*Yaaaawn!*
*Wanders of for more awesomehappyfuntime in the land of Skyrim*

If you don't like it don't buy it.
Don't plan too, as I wasted $50 on Oblivious and decided this time around to wait for various threads to popup(and vids now too) BEFORE buying their next Toddled/Peteyed attempt.

As it's and adventure game now with action and VERY light RPG elements and since I'm not really into adventure games much any longer I'll be skipping it for actual RPGs.

Don't plan too, as I wasted $50 on Oblivious and decided this time around to wait for various threads to popup(and vids now too) BEFORE buying their next Toddled/Peteyed attempt.

As it's and adventure game now with action and VERY light RPG elements and since I'm not really into adventure games much any longer I'll be skipping it for actual RPGs.

Good for you! For me on the other hand, the videos and various threads made me believe in this game. They improved on the things I didn't like about oblivion and I love the setting. Morrowind perhaps had me abit more enthralled but I was younger(17) back then and my mind has grown dull about enthrallment over the years.

Not many games gets me going nowadays, this year only deus ex and skryim has subdued my gaming needs.

Discuss the game, or rather, how you perceive it. Don't discuss the personalities of other posters, or rather, how you perceive them.

That said, I do enjoy it so far. Feels like so much land to explore. The Skyrim setting is more mainstream than that of Morrowind so I didn't experience the same sense of wonder so far but it feels a lot more 'natural' and less fairy-tale than Oblivion. It even brought back memories of Daggerfall (well, I'm one of those who still play that one) ... if it continues to please me the way it does, I'm content.

There's me put in my place.

I can almost see you chewing purposefully on the tip of your glasses while you stare down the end of your nose and press submit, you smug twit.

Nothing could possibly be more smug than the rest of your post after you said this, which I find very amusing.

I don't know about your other statements. But you are completely right about the graphics.

Well, I like world graphics. It's the characters which are fugly which was always one of Bethesda's weaknesses. But, in previous games, moders eventually come to the rescue. Can't wait for "Skyrim - Better Bodies" and various beauty projects…

Hahahaha, "Expect more of yourself." Gold! What are you selling? :p Lay off the infomercials, pal. :)

Why do you guys bother responding to trolls like this anyway?

Because they're so cute and entertaining, especially when they appear to think that their obviously artificial post has any effect. :)

As has been said before, the strength of an ES game is exploration and world building, not combat, character development, and dialogue. Thus one may easily come to the conclusion that it is not a very good RPG. But Skyrim seems to be a more reactive world than previous efforts, in particular reacting to your PC roleplaying choices. Need to see more to properly evaluate.

Last edited:
Losing spell crafting was a bit annoying, but I definitely find Skyrim enjoyable.

Does Skyrim follow Morrowind's formula of not giving character-related rewards (stat boosts, skill boosts, etc) for completing quests? I understand the theory behind a "non-XP" system, but I found Morrowind's implementation terribly disappointing.

I've always got something. Just recieved a rather powerful mace for doing a bear hunt. Another one a woman will now teach me restoration now (not really that big a deal since I went to the college), a khaaji will follow me now since I helped him out. Got a great resist to magic amulet from another. They're pretty much like that, but so far magic items have been very hard to come buy so this time it actually is worth doing the quests to see what you get. The last one I got was a nice magic mace. I'm going to test that sucker out right now :)

I say each to his own. I think it's one of the best games ever. I'm playing the PC version on my 32inch HDTV with the xbox controller and loving every second of it!

Although the graphics are not top of the line for 2011, they are still good enough to immerse me into the Elder Scrolls world.

I'll admit it does need a few patches to fix a few things, but I'm still loving evey second!

I also got a permanent +1 skill boost on a couple quest rewards. I think the best rewards are gaining your first follower. Having a meat shield to soak up attacks is more powerful than anything else, I think.

Not sure if I'm understanding your answers, gents.

Without spending too much time on my soapbox, I hatedhatedhated the fact that Morrowind allowed you to get the same character development by saving the world or by killing 10000 rats without ever leaving Seyda Neen. Sure, there were some loot differences between those two paths, but your skills and levels could be identical. The vast majority of quest rewards were pure loot, so there was absolutely no character development motivation to do anything in the game. Is Skyrim the same?

I ask you, is it mechanically fun for you to play Skyrim? By this I mean, are your hands having fun while you play? Is your brain having fun?

Is your mind engaged with the plotting of strategies to overcome difficult obstacles? Is the combat causing you to think and plan and prepare? To try different combinations and approaches? Are you discovering and solving mysteries in the plot and story? Are you truly involved?

A game that cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 million dollars to develop, should not have to rely on the modding community to satisfy you.

I'm having more fun with this game than any other game I've ever played over the course of the past 30-odd years.

Incidentally, my understanding is that the budget was a bit higher

The vast majority of quest rewards were pure loot, so there was absolutely no character development motivation to do anything in the game. Is Skyrim the same?

IMO the NPCs and factions are a lot more engaging than oblivion and morrowind, and the questlines relating to the MQ, major factions and civil war are quite compelling.

Also, once you start to learn some dragon shouts, that is a tremendous motivator to explore every dungeon you find, as there are some 60-70 different dragon words to be found.

I have had some great moments in this game. Most of the following is very spoilerish, so be warned.

Just last night, I finally got to a point where I felt like I had completed all the side quests I wanted to around Whiterun, and figured it was time to go talk to the Greybeards and advance the story a bit. I needed to sell stuff, so I popped into the bar to find the local drunk, so I can give him 1 gold and get a temp +10 to my speechcraft and get a slight bump in prices. There at the bar was somebody I hadn't seen before, so I talked to him.

I'll skip what happens next, but the conversation ends with me waking up in a temple in a completely different city (forgot the name - Mar-something?), and the local priest pissed off at me because I've trashed the place.

Ok, I thought, I'll get my bearings and figure out what happened and where I am. It's dark when I leave the temple, so I figure I'll find an inn and explore by day. When I find the inn, somebody outside the door starts a fight, and the guards take him down. I talk to people, and they mention that he was from the Foresworn, whatever that is. One guy stops me and expresses dismay that anybody could do such a thing, but then he also slips me a note. Meet me in the Temple of Talos, it says.

Ok, so I stay at the inn, get some local rumors from the barkeep, and then head over to the temple. On the way there, I pass a house where one guy is asking some guy about who lives there, how long the place has been abandoned, etc. This was one of the rumors the barkeep told me about, that a seer or somesuch was investigating a local abandoned house. The guy tells me he's investigating Deadra-worshipping activities, and wants to check out the house. So I offer to help, and follow him inside.

We eventually get to a locked door, and when I try to open it, the guy freaks out about a very powerful Deadra and runs off. Then a deep, disembodied voice says to me, "He is weak. You are strong. Kill the weak. Kill him." (or something like that, you get the point).

Haha, nice. Ok, I'll play. So I kill the guy as he's waiting for me by the exit (my character is definitely no saint). I get a nice, spooky congratulations from the voice, and it beckons me further for my reward. The door's open now, and I eventually make my way to the basement where I find a Daedra altar plus a bit more that I won't give away. I click on the altar, which causes me to kneel, and suddenly iron grates come up around me and trap me in a cage. I get a nice little pep talk from the Daedra about how rewards aren't so easy to come by, but I will be well rewarded if I can help him accomplish his goals (which again, I won't give away).

After getting the quest to help this Daedra, I reached the point where I had to quit for the night. The point of explaining all this is that just as I was feeling all comfortable and the master of my domain in Whiterun with my fully furnished house, the game threw me an awesome curveball that totally engrossed me, and I'm now in a completely new place with some veeeerry interesting prospects for advancing my character. And it all happened so naturally, so organically…

And I still need to meet that guy at the temple. This game is overwhelming me, and I love it…

Not sure if I'm understanding your answers, gents.

Without spending too much time on my soapbox, I hatedhatedhated the fact that Morrowind allowed you to get the same character development by saving the world or by killing 10000 rats without ever leaving Seyda Neen. Sure, there were some loot differences between those two paths, but your skills and levels could be identical. The vast majority of quest rewards were pure loot, so there was absolutely no character development motivation to do anything in the game. Is Skyrim the same?

Well as I understand it, there are some UNIQUE abilities one gains (i.e. shouts) as one progresses through the main quest. I wouldn't be surprised if you gain other unique abilities (or spells or …) in some of the other quest lines, too, but it's a guess as I haven't done them, yet. :)

ok, about to play my 4th session. I followed a suggestion from some site to reduce the sound quality in the Windows control panel to fix the crashing (don't ask me why I would need to change my Windows settings for a game), and didn't crash in my next two gaming sessions (4 or 5 hours each).
Sort of got used to the tab thing, but I keep pressing ESC once in a while. I don't care if it's closer to WASD, but the standard is ESC, it's too ingrained in my mind.
I still hate hate hate that they removed spellcrafting, oh but they added cooking! (sarcasm intended). It really was my main playing point in all the previous TES games, so that alone puts it in the bottom of my TES 'like list'.
It's an enjoyable game, but the fact that I'm wasting my time posting this instead of playing tells you how excited I am about the game (i.e. not really that much). Which is a pity as Morrowind and, yes, Oblivion, are two of my favorite RPGs.

Yeah, I think mages got shafted in Skyrim without spellmaking. You're at the mercy of what spells you can find. Spellmaking was one of the things that made Elder Scrolls unique. :(

Back
Top Bottom