Parents name child Dovahkiin and earn …

The Wanderer

in paths untrodden
a lifetime's worth of Bethesda games.

Sorry if this has already been posted.

I think it's dumb.
It's potentially going to attract unwanted attention to the kid.
He'll probably get bullied, teased, etc.

Anyway, I think that there's a better way to show humanity your appreaciation of pc games than to impose it to your progeny.

What if the kid never shows any interest for Skyrim?

Oh and I just wish I meet him. I'd ask if he was bugged. :)
Poor kid.

I think the parent's are being thoughtless/oppurtunistic - true, Dovakhiin may have faded from public memory by the time he's old enpoug to know where it came from ("yeah darling, you're named for a PC game character"), but I do think your name is important. I'd hate to be named that way. Incidentally, my oldest childhood friend named his daughter "Cenedra Blue" :rolleyes: after the David Eddings character....I was not impressed, but he's my friend so I didn't go on about it, and she's turned out OK. And it is a melodic kind of name.

In Norway we can't name our children whatever we want. Maybe the rules are to strict (I'm sure some of us - not i - thinks so). But it does protect against the more extreme choices.

I think sometimes parents are too short-sighted (correct English?) when making choices like this for children. The chosen name, while appearing to be funny and cute when the children are small, is also the name they'll be stuck with (unless they change it) for their adult life. We don't own our children, we borrow them for 20-25% of their lifetime, and they should be respected as indivivuals.

BTW: We run into some funny situations due to immigration. As far as I know "Musa" is a common name in Turkey. However, in Norwegian it's a 4-lettered word for the vagina.

pibbur who doesn't think he'd be allowed to call any of his daughtesr "Moon Unit". And who (not seriously) regrets that his wife would not let him call one of them "Ane Mia", which is a perfectly legal norwegian name.

BTW: We run into some funny situations due to immigration. As far as I know "Musa" is a common name in Turkey. However, in Norwegian it's a 4-lettered word for the vagina.

That's radical - thanks for the information.

Did a bit of search, and Musa is the Arabic word for the name Moses.

Kid will be fine; in 10 years' time, he and his classmates won't know jack about Skyrim. Additionally, non-conformist names generally lead to non-conformist people - so good on him!

While you can't name your kid however you wish here as well, there still are some names around that are ... well ... interesting, to say the least.

And while I would have loved to be named after a video game (character), there were none back in the days, and my parents never appreciated them much. Pinball machines, mmmkay, so perhaps I might have been named Rancho, Zodiac or Messalina. All of them rather unfortunate IMO, but not worse than my actual name, either ...

Naming a child Dovahkiin is going a bit far in my opinion, as it just seems more like a stunt than anything else. That being said, it's nowhere near as bad as some of the names celebrities give their children..

Here the first name can be changed later on, for a price. So it's no catastrophe.

The thing is I'm having a hard time understanding that a video game (and books, movies) has enough impact on people that they do this.

Meh, its not a big deal. My real name is Toff but no one in the US knows what the official meaning is. Neither did my parents. I even grew up In hickville and my nickname back then was Tuff.

I think the parent's are being thoughtless/oppurtunistic - true, Dovakhiin may have faded from public memory by the time he's old enpoug to know where it came from ("yeah darling, you're named for a PC game character"), but I do think your name is important. I'd hate to be named that way. Incidentally, my oldest childhood friend named his daughter "Cenedra Blue" :rolleyes: after the David Eddings character….I was not impressed, but he's my friend so I didn't go on about it, and she's turned out OK. And it is a melodic kind of name.

Oh boy at least name after a Silmarillion character. Who cares about David Eddings?

I don't see a problem with this at all. Children have been named after all sorts of characters from books etc. A lot of peoples sir names were based on their trade year ago.

Shame they didn't pick a better game but oh well.

Stupid, imo. I mean the game won't be remembered as one of the true classics (it's one thing to name your kid Zelda..) When the kid and other people learn about the origin of the name (and yes people will ask) and learn that he was born at the release date of the game and the parents got games for free because of it, it's not likely to "impress"..

Have they done it for the love of their child or the love of games?
They have been manipulated by consumerism.
They blow.
I can't help but think that they made a bad choice.

Back
Top Bottom