Dragon Age 2 - 8 Reasons Why It's Good

I think Purple kind of nailed it, in a way that should be quite clear to anyone. It's like eating mud, one person out of a hundred might enjoy it, even love it, but the other ninety nine simply don't care about it. Oh, and if you remind them about it, they just might re-inform you.

This is pure hyperbole. Where are your facts and data? If you accept the DA2 user ratings on metacritic as a reasonable metric, then 61% will dislike the game and 39% will like it or have a mixed experience. That's not one in a hundred; not even close.

Oh it is Dart because it's amusing to read the hundredth post from the same members with the same complaints over, and over again. It's quite hilarious actually.:lol:

It seems Bioware personally did something to destroy each of their lives. I'm thinking of making a new video about the effect of Bioware games on the gaming community.

Oh well to each his own as the saying goes.:)

To me, it's amusing to see the samne handful of blind people defending the indefensible over and over in almost every thread.

It kinda goes both ways.

You keep posting news about a company that used to be in love with gaming and which produced some true classics. Now it's but a shadow of its former self, producing average games with strong production values and shit writing.

You're surprised that fans of games keep talking about it? You clearly don't how people operate.

Core gamers are fans of games. They care about them.

Mainstream gamers don't care to the same extent. They just want to "have fun" - and they don't really think striving for greatness is interesting or worth talking about - and there's no such thing as a bad game, as long as you can kill stuff and have a few laughs. That's fair enough.

But, when you push news about their lost love in the faces of core gamers over and over - they repeat their feelings about that.

Remember, this site is not a mainstream site. It's a core gamer site.

Again, hardly rocket science.

I enjoyed the game, but the game just might have barely met the "good" rating for AAA games. And it was definitely not in the "good" rating for Bioware standards.

Although if I had learned that DA2 was developed by an indie studio I'd be amazed at how good the game was. It just depends on what standards you use to judge the game by. By Bioware standards it felt repetitive in the scenery/enemies and mild in the adventure.

I simply judged it by the previous game, I couldn't care less what anyone else thought or said about it before it was released. For me, compared to Dragon Age Origin, it was a dismal failure....and that's being kind. And subtle.

I don't consider DA2 a letdown, because I chose to not play it after the huge letdown that was DA:O. That most seem to think DA2 was even worse doesn't matter to me since I didn't have any expectations anymore when that game shipped.

Although if I had learned that DA2 was developed by an indie studio I'd be amazed at how good the game was. It just depends on what standards you use to judge the game by.

That's not true. People dumped on Beyond Divinity because it deserved being dumped on, and there were /are hoards of Divine Divinty fans.

As just one simple example. The statement you used is what people call a fallacy.

My2c

This is pure hyperbole. Where are your facts and data? If you accept the DA2 user ratings on metacritic as a reasonable metric, then 61% will dislike the game and 39% will like it or have a mixed experience. That's not one in a hundred; not even close.

I don't think Carnifex had meant for that statement to be taken literally, and linking to Metacritic and showing how low the user score for DA2 is doesn't help your case.

It's probably because Bioware used to do a lot better - and that makes people sad to think about.

It's not really rocket science.

Exactly. This is the company that made Baldur's Gate 2. They had a LONG way to fall to get to average, and (from everything I've ever heard or read of DA2) they got there.

Yeah, the BioEAware that did Dragon Age 2 is not even the same company that did DAO, no way in the nine circles of anything they are the same company that did Baldur's Gate 2.

Objectively speaking, DA2 is not exactly a that bad - it may have some redeeming qualities, though I am at a loss to point out any right now - the my brain blocking the whole experience of DA2 is just working too good. On the other hand, it's a horrible game for a sequel to DAO, not to mention it was rather half-baked on any front, and this particular combo ticked off a lot of people. I have this theory that if the title wasn't Dragon Age 2 but rather Dragon Age - Anything else it might not have been as reviled as it is. A number in the title brings a certain amount of expectations.

Despite their past record of great games, they have two series strikes against them DA II and ME III. Additionally iirc both were the last two games they made, which does NOT bode well for the future. Let's not forget the complete crap record of ea and DLC :raincloud:

Wow, this thread gets me really excited to finally play Dragon Age 2! I'm planning on starting it for the first time ever next week in anticipation for DA:I. I can't wait to see if I totally despise it or have the more sensible view that it clearly is flawed but has good parts. Who can say!? Regardless, I will force myself to finish it even if I loathe every moment!

DA2 was OK. I would put it at the level of the Risen games or Two Worlds. For Bioware that's pretty pathetic but, for the RPG fan, I think it's worth playing. (Probably in the summer when there's hardly any games showing up.)

P.S. Posting about DA2 seems about the same as handing over a box of salamanders to Sandal.

Wow, this thread gets me really excited to finally play Dragon Age 2! I'm planning on starting it for the first time ever next week in anticipation for DA:I. I can't wait to see if I totally despise it or have the more sensible view that it clearly is flawed but has good parts. Who can say!? Regardless, I will force myself to finish it even if I loathe every moment!

Good luck. I've tried several times and end up losing interest every time. I'm going to give it one more shot before I play DAI which looks significantly better.

AS for the article I assume it was written to generate hits.

I recently completed DA2 as well, and I still don't think it's a bad game. It's just a bad Dragon Age game. Origins and Awakening are both much, much better. Vastly superior.

Ok, I know I can't be the only person here who has no idea what that means. :)

"Sandal: Can I have some Salamanders, please?
Bodahn: Don't do it, that's where the boom comes from, I think"
I admit that I had to google it though :biggrin:

"Sandal: Can I have some Salamanders, please?
Bodahn: Don't do it, that's where the boom comes from, I think"
I admit that I had to google it though :biggrin:

Ah...ok. I remember Sandal now in DA:O - although I can't recall that particular line of dialogue. I'm guessing that must be from DA2.

What is really going on here in some cases, is that BG2 was Bioware's Magnum Opus. When they were small and cool and run by the doctors, and had homeless people living in their office stairwell (true facts!). And now because they're big and are with EA, they're not indie cool anymore, and their games are "crap" or "garbage", when really they're great games, they will just never give them the Blue Sky high of their masterpiece.

Ah…ok. I remember Sandal now in DA:O - although I can't recall that particular line of dialogue. I'm guessing that must be from DA2.

It is.

What is really going on here in some cases, is that BG2 was Bioware's Magnum Opus. When they were small and cool and run by the doctors, and had homeless people living in their office stairwell (true facts!). And now because they're big and are with EA, they're not indie cool anymore, and their games are "crap" or "garbage", when really they're great games, they will just never give them the Blue Sky high of their masterpiece.

So, because you think their games are great - you create a fantasy about other people who disagree?

Sure, why not.

As for their masterpiece, I consider NWN and KotOR to be closer to that description, though I realise it's a matter of personal preference.

Modern Bioware games are streamlined - which is not a subjective observation. The writing is different, which is not a subjective observation.

As for good or bad? I don't know that it's important.

I just know that their factory line products with teenage soap opera drama isn't enough to constitute "greatness" from my point of view.

I'd say average to decent - depending on how generous I feel like being.

I can't pretend it's not a massive decline from their past work, though. I wish I could - but I'm not good at the whole delusional thing.

Back
Top Bottom