Music is the Universe

There is only one Band.."Opeth"

They have done something no other band for me has never able been able to do for me that is....

Complete change who they are and still have me loving them. From Swedish progressive Death Metal band…do Prog Metal band.

Mostly Polish black metal…but Opeth…

Ever since I was a kid, I have always been attracted to instrumental music and never cared for lyrics. (…)
My favourite composer is Wagner with Beethoven being a very close second. But I also love other composers (…)
Then be sure to check out Anton Bruckner. A Wagner enthusiast, and most of his stuff is without voices. My favorite Bruckner symphony is No. 8.

Hello Jaz! Thanks! These suggestions are great. And listening to Anton now, I really like it.
Movie scores are great. I will have hours to listen from your list.
I could only suggest Two Steps From Hell or Thomas Bergersen, Epic Score, City Of The Fallen. I find them very, very good.
Thanks for the suggestions, I definitely will check them out! I'm ashamed to admit that I forgot to list one of my favorite 'classical' composers ever - Franz Schreker. He was one of two extremely popular 'modern' composers in Germany/Austria (the other one was Richard Strauss) in the early 20th Century … from WWI to 1934. Then his music was blacklisted because he was Jewish, and it was nearly forgotten.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, were I to travel to the past and meet young and foolish Asdraguuhl in high school and tell him that Jean Michel Jarre can't hold a candle to Beethoven, he would probably kick old and wise Asdraguuhl's butt :).

You must take in consideration that, without that young and foolish Asdraguuh, as you say, there would not be an older and wiser Asdraguuh.
Those phases we all must go.
And thanks for your story! Really great journey.

I was listening to all kinds of junk before I get to known better and better music.
We don't get served on a plate. We must discover.

There is only one Band.."Opeth"

They have done something no other band for me has never able been able to do for me that is….

Complete change who they are and still have me loving them. From Swedish progressive Death Metal band…do Prog Metal band.

Mostly Polish black metal…but Opeth…

Opeth is quite a good band. Thanks!
Will spread word about them.

I just like what … I just like. ;)

Mostly that is how I do it as well. :)
What feels good I like.

A fan of "How to train you dragon"? Hence your profile picture. :)
Surprisingly it was a very good movie.
And I liked the sequel as well. They did not ruined it. As it is the case with most off sequels.
Nice music in it yes. The sound was OK off the link you shared.
And, Oldfield, a musical mastermind.

Asdraguuhl, I would highly, highly suggest you check out some library music. It's nearly all instrumental, and there are some amazing composers who have done some wonderful pieces in the '60s, '70s and '80s.

I listen to classical library music myself, it's one of my favorite genres, and I think you should check out this album I just ripped from vinyl. Let me know if this is something you dig. It's a baroque LP by The Mayfair Baroque Orchestra, and is quite lovely stuff.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/cxnyfk

You're not going to find really intense orchestrations like Beethoven, but you will find some short, sonnet-like pieces that set a nice mood. Just don't expect "super-epic" but more like a light, easy listening, and you should be happy :)

Here's a few more recent rips of mine.

Cam CML 214 - Luigi Ceccarelli - Dark > https://www.sendspace.com/file/n246u2 (this is an electronic/ambient album)

Patchwork MC 55 - Various - Classique > https://www.sendspace.com/file/v8hbaa (classical pieces)

Spectrum SPEC 208 - Bobby Heath, Eric Peters, Robert Hunter - Nature (Static); Nature (Movement) > https://www.sendspace.com/file/3m39uh (electronic ambient music for nature documentaries)

And I do believe this is all legal, because these albums were never released to the public, and they were given free to TV studios, etc., back in the day, so ripping them now and sharing them should be okay. :)

Mostly that is how I do it as well. :)
What feels good I like.

A fan of "How to train you dragon"? Hence your profile picture. :)
Surprisingly it was a very good movie.
And I liked the sequel as well. They did not ruined it. As it is the case with most off sequels.
Nice music in it yes. The sound was OK off the link you shared.
And, Oldfield, a musical mastermind.

Thank you. :)

Well, I didn't buy the s"soundtrack" of the second movie yet, because I felt that ... it was like ... everything from the first plus a little bit more ... I could somewhat kind of feel the border of "if they had elaborated on that a bit more, then it would have been too much and destroyed it) in both movie and soundtrack ... It was like the music got things added to it like the Baroque did not use single themes, but elaborated around them, thus making everything much more ... elaborated. Sophisticated. Err, I hate it when I just can't express what I mean because English isn't my first language ! I think that ... "embellished" and "varnished" might be the words I'm looking for ... Like in Rokoko architecture there are always embellishments of simple objects which through this become more elaborate and varnished ...

(In German language : Ich hatte das Gefühl, als ob sie sowohl in der Musik als auch im/dem Film immer etwas mehr, immer ein bißchen mehr hinzugefügt haben, Themen variierten und ausbauten, und somit immer barocker machten, so, wie im Rokkoko und im Barock Dinge immer weiter ausgeschmückt wurden ... Sozusagen.)

Then be sure to check out Anton Bruckner. A Wagner enthusiast, and most of his stuff is without voices. My favorite Bruckner symphony is No. 8.
Yes, I know Anton Bruckner. Just like Gustav Mahler and Richard Strauss (not to be confused with Johann Strauss), he was one of the "post-Wagnerians".

I do enjoy him but I cannot say that he is among my top favourites. My impression is that he lacks the depth of Wagner but I have to admit hat I haven't listened to him as much as other composers. But, as it so often happens in classical music, in order to really appreciate and "understand" a composer, one needs to take time to listen (even repeatedly) to the music and it is not uncommon to not like a certain composer until literally years later when you suddenly *get* him. It is a pending task to delve deeper into Bruckner.

I have his Symphony Nr.8 but it has been a very long time since I last listened to it. Based on your suggestion I shall do so again during these days :).

… (the other one was Johann Strauss) in the early 20th Century …
Don't you mean Richard Strauss?

You must take in consideration that, without that young and foolish Asdraguuh, as you say, there would not be an older and wiser Asdraguuh.
Those phases we all must go.
And thanks for your story! Really great journey.

I was listening to all kinds of junk before I get to known better and better music.
We don't get served on a plate. We must discover.
Another interesting detail is that I owe much to one single friend. He was the one that introduced me to Jarre and synthesizer music. At one point, he decided to buy a 4-CD box of the OST of the Star Wars Trilogy, which triggered my soundtrack phase. And it was that same guy that bought an 8-CD boxset of a collection of classical music spanning all eras: Early/Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic and 20th Century. Although it was aimed at casual listeners, it was an excellent educational source and the booklets provided much information about the composers themselves and the style of composition that is associated which each era.

I often wondered how my music listening habits would have evolved if he hadn't been around.

(Note: The "Classical" era is a specific period and is actually a "subset" of classical music. The term classical music, is a 20th century term and sometimes causes confusion).

I listen to classical library music myself, it's one of my favorite genres, and I think you should check out this album I just ripped from vinyl. Let me know if this is something you dig. It's a baroque LP by The Mayfair Baroque Orchestra, and is quite lovely stuff.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/cxnyfk
I downloaded it and listened to it but I have to admit that it is a bit too "light" and "casual" for my taste. But if you like the Baroque style, then why don't you try listening to the "real" thing and go for Bach? He is widely regarded as one of the greatest composers ever, by some even THE greatest. He is the king of counterpoint, the compositional technique of simultaneously playing several melodies.
Here is link to the 1st movement of Bach's Double Violin Concerto. What I find interesting is that it is part of a set of youtube clips where the notes are graphically displayed while playing. I can't speak for others but I personally like it to visually see how individual melody lines are played.
Cam CML 214 - Luigi Ceccarelli - Dark > https://www.sendspace.com/file/n246u2 (this is an electronic/ambient album)
If you had caught me during my synthesizer phase, I would have dug several of these tracks :).
Patchwork MC 55 - Various - Classique > https://www.sendspace.com/file/v8hbaa (classical pieces)
It seems they are composers from the 20th century who make music in the style of the Baroque/Classical period. I have therefore the same remark as before. If you really dig this stuff, why not try Mozart or Haydn? (After all, one does *not* simply *imitate* the likes of Bach or Mozart and *improve*).
Spectrum SPEC 208 - Bobby Heath, Eric Peters, Robert Hunter - Nature (Static); Nature (Movement) > https://www.sendspace.com/file/3m39uh (electronic ambient music for nature documentaries)
I just listened to it but I am sorry to say that this one I liked the least. I can't help but find it too simple and I do think that there are better "contributors" to this type of music. If you like atmospheric electronic music then you may like Vangelis. Here is a link to the famous Blade Runner soundtrack.

The music is indeed light and casual, which is one of the reasons I think it's great. I guess some people will dig that and others won't. :)

Music is not universe.
Music is just mathematics.

Light and casual? I hate light and casual. I wish Bieber and such crap never existed. It's not music, it's children's play.
Gimme a fugue by Bach any day.

The music is indeed light and casual, which is one of the reasons I think it's great. I guess some people will dig that and others won't. :)
I remember you saying that you enjoy complex RPG systems, the deeper and more complex the better. Are you saying you are the opposite in music? :)

The music I posted is complex enough for me. I really don't require music to be overly complex, or have deeper meanings and what not. It's more about the mood, feeling, and general vibe of the track, for me. In some cases, the vibe of the entire album.

Even when I make music myself, I only make short, 2-3 minute tracks, and they are simple beats designed to just set a little scene. That's why library music resonates with me. It's mood music designed to set a scene, not redefine existence as we know it. :)

Vangelis is okay, but I find them boring. I'd much rather listen to an electronic library. Bach is great, but still, I would prefer the 2 classical LPs I posted much more.

I guess this is one case where I don't think that complex = better. :)

Here's an example of the style I like. It's simple, catchy, has nice melodies, harmonies, and sets a mood oh-so-beautifully. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZJFgpgZFF0

One of my favorite tracks by one of my favorite composers.

So, to each their own. Sorry you didn't like those albums...

Last edited:
Another interesting detail is that I owe much to one single friend. He was the one that introduced me to Jarre and synthesizer music. At one point, he decided to buy a 4-CD box of the OST of the Star Wars Trilogy, which triggered my soundtrack phase.

I had a similar experience as a teenager when I wasn't listening to music except what was on the radio, and one day my father decided to bring me two LPs so that I could listen to some music : "Five Miles Out" by Mike Oldfield, and "Vulture Culture" by The Alan Parsons Project. "Chess" was coming not much later, and it started my "orchestral rock" phase.

Besides, if you do like Synthesizer music, you should imho take a look at the "Jon & Vangelis" duo.

Music is not universe.
Music is just mathematics.

I am no that stupid to just say that music is the universe. And really mean it. Just thought that it would be a nice title for my first thread.

Music is much more that mathematics. And indeed it is the universe in a way.
Alan Watts said " Life is a musical thing". And all our cells and atoms that we are made off do the boogie.
Music is not only Mozart or Bach. Music is a complex combinations off different and colorful sounds. If you haven't already, listen to sounds of the planets.
Here is a nice link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwLV5Ij2pUY

Besides, if you do like Synthesizer music, you should imho take a look at the "Jon & Vangelis" duo.
I know that duo but at the time I deliberately avoided music with vocals. I had this radical view where music with singing was simply "forbidden". I remember this time when I was at a friend's house and he gave me a CD with a soundtrack telling me it was good music and I should try it. At the front door, when I was about to leave, I realised it was a musical and thereby containing singing at which point I immediately returned the CD saying that I did not accept any singing :). Of course, it was just an ignorant viewpoint and I have very much matured by now.

Back
Top Bottom