Visiting Australia.. possiblity in August need travel advice!

Yep looks good. IMO you come here to see the natural environment, arts and culture aren't our strong suit compared to Europe.

Go Kakadu while you're in Darwin (quite a small city, more of a town really). Don't swim in any of the rivers or creeks, the croc warning signs are there for a reason.

Go out to the reef while you're in Cairns. As long as it's not too cold my suggestion would be to either get your diving license (it's not very difficult) on a boat out whilst on the reef or if you're already qualified join a boat going out to the reef. Stay out on the reef for at least 3 days if you can. Also the Daintree national park north of Cairns has some of the oldest rainforest in the world IIRC.

Main sites in Sydney can be done in a couple of days, the major sites are all around the harbour bridge and can basically be done in a day. Otherwise if you wanted just to hang out and/or party a bit it's probably a good option, if a bit pricey. During August Sydney will be a bit under 20 degrees on average.

If you can swing it go and see Uluru/Ayres Rock.

If you end up in Melbourne go and watch an AFL game at the MCG.

One thing to be mindful of is that compared to Europe Australia is quite big so a small looking trip on the map might actually take hours by car. It's a 3 hour trip between Sydney and Canberra if you drive, about 8 between Sydney and Melbourne.

Can't say Adelaide is a must see, it's a nice enough small city but I can't think of anything spectacular. Never been to Kangaroo Island and I think the Bike GP has already been on this year. It'll be cold that time of year I think.

Anyway, have fun =)

Last edited:
In that case, we'll stick to that plan. Thanks a lot for your advice :)

We'll be sure to check out the Daintree national park, I love rain forests so this suggestion is much appriciated!

well 3 nights, but the flights are such that it is 5 full days almost.

Few other places to visit:
australia-map-accurate.jpg

That map is outdated. The stingrays have expanded their kingdom to the south.

Try the Kuranda Skyrail while in Cairns. The drive from Cairns to Port Douglass is stunning as well.

Hey, GG. Hope you will enjoy your stay in Australia! I think if you have time, you should check out Melbourne, depending on how long you want to spend in Sydney :)

No-one should be forced to spend 4 days in Sin.....er I mean Sydney!! :)

Obviously you must join a charter out to the reef at Cairns and do some skin/scuba diving, before it's decimated.

Yup, I agree. I did the 5 day PADI opendiver training or whatever it's called and it's amazing.

I certainly recommend it.

We just did the "resort" dive training for a single excursion. But most of the life is in the first 4 feet deep of water, so diving isn't required to see the most color and diverse and active communities.

In 4 days as much as I prefer and live in Melbourne Sydney is enough. For me in Sydney do the toursit things, opera house, manly beach, zoo, rocks, etc. If you have time & inclination lots of friends speak very highly of walk across top of Sydney harbour bridge!

Back
Top Bottom