Is Might & Magic VI the greatest game ever created?

My favourite M&M was the world of Xeen. I found M&M entertaining, but fairly shallow. Come to think of it, I've always regarded the M&M franchise as Wizardry Light.

pibbur who admits that ... forget it

I replay M&M VI, VIII and VII (in this order) every year, because it is so much fun playing them. There are other games, which I would call better RPGs with regard to their depth, but the simple fun of playing is what makes me replay M&M more often then everything else. The only other game I replay nearly as often is Spellforce.

Games like Gothic or VTM:Bloodlines, which are higher ranking on my Top Ten, I only replay every two or three years, because they are more demanding and cost me more energy (like reading a good book costs more energy then reading a simple crime novel or fantasy series).

Waiting for the Youtube playlist, "Fluent plays the greatest games of all times", updated weekly :D

M&M games were always pretty shitty balance wise, but they were a heck of fun to play. That atmosphere and charm is simply missing from M&MX, so while it's still a good game and follows the tried formula, it doesn't scratch my M&M itch. Reinstalling M&MVII every once in a while is a must.

M&MX is a good game, but it's not really a M&M game. It feels very much like someone played all the games in the series, took a 2 month vacation, and then built an engine based off what they could remember. We have the NWC games I-V, the 3DO games VI-VIII and then the indies.

I often play in the VII, VI, VIII order because 7 and 8 are almost the same game. Playing VI between them breaks that up a bit.

A number of changes they made to the formula were rooted in solid thinking though - I don't know if a game with the makeup of a 3DO game (and its flaws) by a different developer would have been received well. It's just that with these trappings, a lot of the fun of M&M went out the window, too.

M&MX is a good game, but it's not really a M&M game. It feels very much like someone played all the games in the series, took a 2 month vacation, and then built an engine based off what they could remember. We have the NWC games I-V, the 3DO games VI-VIII and then the indies.

To me, it felt like they were trying to find a middle ground between World of Xeen and its style of M&M and the later ones. Character development felt closer to M&M 6-8, as did the spell system, while the core gameplay was closer to WoX. Overall, I thought it worked quite well, and I greatly enjoyed M&M X. It might not have been the best game of all time, but I found it more enjoyable than M&M 6-9 (that said, more enjoyable than 9 is not much of an accomplishment...)

X felt tiny compared to 6-9. Kinda mini-M&Ms.

As others have already pointed out, MM7 is probably the best of the lot, but MM6-8 are all fantastic games, well worth playing even today, especially with the GrayFace patches.

Fluent, if you are going to go hard core then you just have to play M&M 1.
Then 2. Then 3.

get some graph paper and prepare to be slaughtered

Hah! I think I'm crazy enough to do that, and one day I just might. :)

MM 2 features time travel that alters the map (and you have no automap!) and fights against hundreds of enemies - the difficulty level is on par with Wizardry 4 - Good Luck!

I like the combination of MM4+5 best.

I think Bane of the Cosmic Forge was my favorite Wizardry. On M&M it is either 3 or 7, but sometimes 6 :biggrin:

The character leveling is the best part of m&m. I even loved number ix for that. When I finally got my first lich was pretty awesome and rewarding. Still waiting for a RPG that does this.

I spend the most time in 6, but never finished it. I only finished m&m 7 and that only recently.

Ps, I like all kind of m&ms

It indeed IS the greatest game ever, it is magical. There will never be a game world like it ever again. I love this game so much.

X felt tiny compared to 6-9. Kinda mini-M&Ms.

Yeah I didn't like this one that much, it was a labor or love but it felt too generic. The magic simply wasn't there.

As others have already pointed out, MM7 is probably the best of the lot, but MM6-8 are all fantastic games, well worth playing even today, especially with the GrayFace patches.

I remember that GrayFace added free mouse look to MM6-8 to his unofficial patch because we were on the Codex and were wishing for it and someone e-mailed him about it. Within a week or two he gave us free mouse look for all three games.

M&M V is the game that brought me back to gaming after I got tired of playing platformers on my SNES, so it will always have a special place in my heart.

Of the VI-VIII "trilogy", my favorite one is VII, because I found VI too long and got bored in the end.

I don't know if someone mentioned it, but the real-time combat option can become very useful when revisiting the early locations after you have leveled up a bit. If you use it when dealing with low level ennemies who can barely scratch you, it really speeds things up. :)

I've played III to IX, and would like one day to play them all again, from I to X. But since I never played the King's Bounty and Heroes of Might & Magic series, I'll probably try these ones before. I actually almost installed the original King's Bounty on my PC this week, but opted for The Magic Candle III instead.

If you never tried The Magic Candle btw, you've got to try the first one. It's probably in my top 5 games, and it's not nostalgia speaking, I discovered the game only a few years ago.

If you never tried The Magic Candle btw, you've got to try the first one. It's probably in my top 5 games, and it's not nostalgia speaking, I discovered the game only a few years ago.

I've been interested in The Magic Candle for awhile now, but haven't gotten around to digging for it yet. I do want to play it someday, though.

Thanks to everyone for the great posts! They are fun to read. :)

Back
Top Bottom