BGEE: Siege of Dragonspear - Interview @ PCGamesN

Uh oh, seems I missed something pretty important. Looking forward to it. One thing is for sure, many people are going to be disappointed it isn't going to match their nostalgic expectations.

Uh oh, seems I missed something pretty important. Looking forward to it. One thing is for sure, many people are going to be disappointed it isn't going to match their nostalgic expectations.

And it won't. NOTHING can match nostalgic expectations :)

Pillars of Eternity seemed to do that for a lot of people, though.
"Initially" I would say. Metacritic (I know, I know) gives BG2 9.3 and PoE 8.4
I wonder how people would have rated it if it was called Baldur's Gate 3.
I wonder about that as well... As BG3 it could have suffered fate similar to DA2 though.

PoE is definitely one of the best rpgs in last 10-15 years but it iz still not close to bg1 bg2 or pst (well bg1ee or with mods)

You could also ask yourself how Baldur's Gate and similar classics would be rated today. It swings both ways...I've only recently played Kotor for the first time and the writing at times, felt like something put together by a pair of teenagers.
"Carth looks like he has something on his mind. Maybe you should poke him around a bit."
"What's on your mind, Carth?"
"I don't want to talk about it!".
And BG II, would be crucified today for a huge amount of gameplay flaws and balance issues...anyone rolled a Kensai/Mage lately?

You could also ask yourself how Baldur's Gate and similar classics would be rated today. It swings both ways…I've only recently played Kotor for the first time and the writing at times, felt like something put together by a pair of teenagers.
"Carth looks like he has something on his mind. Maybe you should poke him around a bit."
And BG II, would be crucified today for a huge amount of gameplay flaws and balance issues…anyone rolled a Kensai/Mage lately?

Point is that PoE is new and BG is 17 years old. One of them can be expected to have serious issues with a modern audience.

You could also ask yourself how Baldur's Gate and similar classics would be rated today. It swings both ways…I've only recently played Kotor for the first time and the writing at times, felt like something put together by a pair of teenagers.
And BG II, would be crucified today for a huge amount of gameplay flaws and balance issues…anyone rolled a Kensai/Mage lately?

Someone would crucify a single player game because of balance?
Only people with mental problems and those should be ignored.

Then why is PoE is criticized for the same problems that ignored with the classics?
Like the attribute system...compare this to that tedious, mindless clicking at BG character creation screen.

When BG EE was released I wanted to give it another go. I didn't get very far… BG2 EE feared much better but, of course, nowhere near the excitement levels from all those years ago. But it's not possible or useful or fair to compare those games to the more modern ones. They are classics and not eternal masterpieces.
Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

Then why is PoE is criticized for the same problems that ignored with the classics?
Like the attribute system…compare this to that tedious, mindless clicking at BG character creation screen.

Is it?
I don't remember much of those criticism, most were about general design decisions or problems with encounters and other such. Not many people really care if fighter does 10 damage more than a paladin.

Hmm...well, honestly I "did" find that it's missing "something" and tries to be several IE games at once...but it was still overall a very good opening into a new series. Older games definitely had more a sense of character.

Yes it is. Most of us here considered that PoE wasn't a bad game but that it was underwhelming…

How is that connected with balance ?
I am not sure you know what you are talking about when you talk about balance. Balance problems are a very specific thing that is not connected with basic designs of the game or its features.

I've started PoE three times now. Every time I get about 5 to 8 hours in and then start thinking, "I really want to play an IE game now."

After this is released, I wonder how long a full playthough of BG1EE, TotSC, BG1EE: SoD, BGIIEE, and ToB will take?

Also, try saying that last sentence 10 times fast.

I've started PoE three times now. Every time I get about 5 to 8 hours in and then start thinking, "I really want to play an IE game now."

After this is released, I wonder how long a full playthough of BG1EE, TotSC, BG1EE: SoD, BGIIEE, and ToB will take?

Also, try saying that last sentence 10 times fast.
Try PoE with that Bester's mod, it makes it much better.

Pillars of Eternity seemed to do that for a lot of people, though. I wonder how people would have rated it if it was called Baldur's Gate 3.

I would crucify Obsidian for ruining my favourite franchise of all time. People say PoE is similar to BG series but I disagree with it. For one, Obsidian and Bioware has quite different style, which is one of the reason I refuse to play Beamdog's upcoming BG:EE expansion.

I found PoE extremely underwhelming, and I had issues running it. So many crashes and some days it's like playing slide show rather than a game. Loading time was excruciatingly long as well.

Back
Top Bottom