Witcher 3 - Made for $81.000.000

I'm happy about all the good things that happen to DC Projekt. They deserve it.

Game of the Year 2015 without any remotely close competitor.

That is quite cheap for an AAA game.

Most AAA games are trash anyway. CD Projekt Red being an obvious example. But Id still give more credit to the likes of Almost Human or InXile.

Witcher3 would've been sooo much better if they had just spent that extra million…
Ok, maybe not. :)

It's sad that AAA games cost so much money to make. I can see why studios and publishers are so averse to taking risks with new IPs and niche genres (e.g. hardcore RPGs)… hence Call of Duty XXV. As RPG fans, we can all be thankful that crowdfunding has successfully resuscitated our dying genre. Less than three years ago traditional RPGs were all but declared dead. GamesRadar wrote "I'm sad to see traditional RPGs fade into obscurity" and "RPGs are dying because, at this point, everything is an RPG." It's amazing how fast crowdfunding has turned this around… and my must-play backlog continues to grow.

Games like Madden and CoD and BethSoft stuff topped 100 million nearly a decade ago. For the level and quantity of content ... bargain.

I'm happy about all the good things that happen to DC Projekt. They deserve it.

Game of the Year 2015 without any remotely close competitor.

Well, this year is not over yet. We still have Fallout 4 in November and possibly Torment: Tides of Numenera in December. But still, you're probably right.

To put it in perspective, GTA V cost 265 million, Elder scrolls Online was 200 million and Destiny was $140 million

Jesus F. Christ, the source for this news is a video posted by CDP themselves from investor meeting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MyMiT4OUy4

All information is there including net profit and their current cash balance. They also released detailed info in text:
https://www.cdprojekt.com/resources...ary_of_Consolidated_Reports_of_CDP_SA_eng.pdf

I really hate this trend of posting news without actual sources which then leads to stupid speculation.

TLDR: Witcher 3 paid for itself on day 1, already made more than 60 million USD in pure profit and continues selling incredibly well, due to its extremely high quality, effective marketing and word of mouth.

thanks for sharing, and praise be Jesus H. Christ that i didn't care enough to dig for that info when it should have been presented up front for any kind of informative information.
Well, that's why we have links in a news post. People are supposed to educate themselves by clicking on it and reading the actual contents of which only a part is copied here on RPGWatch.
The article linked to contains the information on the profit of CDP and also a video from the investor meeting.

Nah, I think he meant it should have been written as 81,000,000.

Well, that's why we have links in a news post. People are supposed to educate themselves by clicking on it and reading the actual contents of which only a part is copied here on RPGWatch.
The article linked to contains the information on the profit of CDP and also a video from the investor meeting.

I don't think many of us expect the newsposters to have time to conduct a journalistic investigation into each news bit.

Well, this year is not over yet. We still have Fallout 4 in November and possibly Torment: Tides of Numenera in December. But still, you're probably right.

Fallout might be nice, but The Witcher 3 went the extra mile. I'm afraid Fallout 4 will feel bland and dull after CD Projekt's masterwork.

Torment I'm pretty sure will be very well done game, much like Shadow Run: Hong Kong has been, but it's more of a niche audience. I agree that for oldschool RPGers (such as me) the game will rate very high, but it won't keep up with TW3 in GotY awards.

Based on the actual game, that budget was either hugely mismanaged - or 90% went into marketing.

Back
Top Bottom