So the largest hand crafted open world for an RPG happens to belong to Xenoblade X

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Xenoblade Chroncles X is roughly 3 times bigger than Witcher 3 and 4 times bigger than Fallout 4 and it is on the weakest console this gen. So what does this mean? We are going to get smaller games in the future? Is Xenoblade a little too big? I really dont know.

Size means little without meaningful content. I thought the first Xenoblade game was decent for a JRPG, but it only managed to hold my interest until about the half-way point. The sequel will need to be significantly better if it's really going to be that large.

It is a shame really the story was very good in the first one but i couldnt get past level 40, there were so many meaningless quests etc. But i feel that way for Fallout 4 too. Witcher 3 less so but it is still there. So... Will Tides of Numanera save us from boring RPG's?

After almost loosing my mind when playing es:daggerfall I lost my interest to big worlds. Im currently playing xeno through off screen with wii u gamepad. Almost to level 50 now. Interetings story and world. Hopefully X will continue the same tradition. I see the big world as a risk. So far X has gotten good reviews.

Xenoblade?
Never heard about that.
Is that a movie? TV series?

If it's a phonegame, then that's probably the reason it doesn't exit here where I am.

About biggest crafted something, I think I said it sometime ago. What Ubisoft did with AC2 and AC:Brotherhood, no other game can't come close. Perhaps not bigger than other openworlds - horizontally, but that architecture? In a game?
IMO nothing can compete with that currently. Not even other AC sequels.

Xenoblade Chronicles is a Wii game released a few years ago. It go quite the critical acclaim.

1. It seems top me that games are becoming smaller ans a released quicker. I am no sure if i appreciate that.

2. There are many more dull missions in rpgs like kill all bandits in an area or get x items from some bandits base.

I'm not so sure... not if you include MMORPGs, anyway. Asheron's Call took place on a huge continent. It's tricky to measure, too. If you're exploring a world with fast-flying robots, it would have to be bigger than one when you explore on foot. If you go by shear area, something like Star Control where you explore multiple planets would leave both games in the dust.

1. It seems top me that games are becoming smaller ans a released quicker. I am no sure if i appreciate that.
They were for a while but I sure don't see that now. Heck, I'm in my 130th hour of Dragon Age: Inquisition.

2. There are many more dull missions in rpgs like kill all bandits in an area or get x items from some bandits base.
There are a lot of those but there have always been a lot of those. Try starting the first Baldur's Gate again and you'll see what I mean. Sometimes those 'fetch quests' are good for getting you to explore an area you need to know but in that case? Nope.

One question: How does one measure the size of a game (world)?

I guess we can safely say that game taking place in for instance just one city has a smaller game world than a huge open world game. But how can you really compare the size of games like Skyrim, Fallout 3 and 4 and the Witcher 3? And Xenoblade X?

pibbur who has questions

Xenoblade Chronicles is a Wii game released a few years ago. It go quite the critical acclaim.

Wii had two outstanding rpgs. Xenoblade and last story. Xenoblade is based in the old xeno-series, while I think last story is new series. Xenoblade was priced high as used, luckily its now available for wii u as cheap digital download. Im still waiting for last story to come to eshop also.

So far Ive put 51 hours into xenoblade and Im at level 51 (for some reason levels and hours match).

Elite Dangerous simulates the Milky Way at 1:1 scale...

One question: How does one measure the size of a game (world)?

I guess we can safely say that game taking place in for instance just one city has a smaller game world than a huge open world game. But how can you really compare the size of games like Skyrim, Fallout 3 and 4 and the Witcher 3? And Xenoblade X?

pibbur who has questions

I had explained this in another thread. For a 3d game, in order to get sizes more or less correct, you use the real metrics system. So for example, you decide that 300 game units equal = 1 meter in real life metrics system. Than you can measure the game size just like you measure real-world stuffs. Of course this will not measure the cubic size, so if it has a lot of vertical space it would not get included.

It also wouldn't measure either density of activities nor time required to complete the activities. You could have the largest world ever, but have no content and complete it in hours or you could have a tiny world choc full of action, puzzles and interwoven alternate realities folded into the existent tiny world, such as Icewind Dale 2's time travel puzzle or Fell Wood maze.

That's procedurally generated though. Daggerfall was also much larger than these games, but of course that was procedurally generated as well.

Oh nvm then.

Elite Dangerous simulates the Milky Way at 1:1 scale…

How? With 4 light years of emptiness between us and alpha centauri?

pibbur who is still confused regarding size of game worlds. The size of his monitors are however known, and fixed at 24".

How? With 4 light years of emptiness between us and alpha centauri?

pibbur who is still confused regarding size of game worlds. The size of his monitors are however known, and fixed at 24".

Good article here. It's partially hand-built, and partiality procedurally generated.

The game has a fictional hyperspace drive for interstellar travel, but if you tried to fly from Sol to Alpha Centuri at subluminal speed in-game, I understand that it really would take over four years.

Back
Top Bottom