Ubisoft - Calls The Division an RPG

The more I look at this game, the more interested I get, too. It looks like it could be really good.

Too bad it's Ubisoft. :(

Even though its kind of offtopic: I loved Might and Magic X and Heroes 5, but I don't understand why Ubisoft doesn't sell the Might and Magic label. I resent them for holding on to one of the greatest RPG series of my youth and doing next to nothing with it. Just like I resent the Japanese company which bought the Wizardry name only to make an mmo out of it.

I really don't like it how much RPG and Ego Shooters are nowadays lumped together in electronic sjhops - sometimes (though not often) even under the umbrella term "Adventure" ... *shudders*

You are certainly a cunt, no matter what others might refrain from saying.

Mark....I tried this dance you are doing for awhile and realized it was a lost cause, much easier to ignore it. feel much better now:)

As for this game, I am excited for it because it looks good. Reminds me a bit of dying light in the graphics department and I wonder if the mission layout will be similar.

As for this game, I am excited for it because it looks good. Reminds me a bit of dying light in the graphics department and I wonder if the mission layout will be similar.

It does looks. So good that I suppose, at this rate, soon I won't be able to play anything - until I buy a new desktop.

Mark….I tried this dance you are doing for awhile and realized it was a lost cause, much easier to ignore it. feel much better now:)

I just watched angryjoe's hour long gameplay exclusive video and I have to say… it looks and plays like a shooter. In his brief summary near the end he says it's a bit like Modern Warfare: Destiny edition. There were a grand total of three different enemy types in the area he was playing and he asked if the enemies get more exciting later (getting worried about repetition) and the guy said yes, but no aliens or monsters or whatever, because its Tom Clancy. He looked quite bored and embarrassed by the end of the video, I don't envy reviewers who cherish their freedom having to go to preview sessions like this, such a double edged sword.

I just watched angryjoe's hour long gameplay exclusive video and I have to say… it looks and plays like a shooter. In his brief summary near the end he says it's a bit like Modern Warfare: Destiny edition. There were a grand total of three different enemy types in the area he was playing and he asked if the enemies get more exciting later (getting worried about repetition) and the guy said yes, but no aliens or monsters or whatever, because its Tom Clancy. He looked quite bored and embarrassed by the end of the video, I don't envy reviewers who cherish their freedom having to go to preview sessions like this, such a double edged sword.

Oh I definitely think it is more of a shooter, but I'm hoping it play a lot like dying light.

He didn't look any different at the end of the video than he did the beginning IMO. Yes, he did say he was worried about enemy repetition right after he said how exciting high level gameplay was. I guess if you watch the video looking and hoping for negative you can find it.

The game looks and plays like a shooter because it is one. I can't believe how worked up people get over a stupid label.

Last edited:
He didn't look any different at the end of the video than he did the beginning IMO. Yes, he did say he was worried about enemy repetition right after he said how exciting high level gameplay was. I guess if you watch the video looking and hoping for negative you can find it.

The game looks and plays like a spotter because it is one. I can't believe how worked up people get over a stupid label.

You and me both.

To be honest I think its a case of the opposite. If you actually watch the thing through you don't get any sense of excitement, you get a sense of someone trying really hard to find the right way to say something negative while playing the game with the game's creators. Joe is a very expressive person, but he was was like a polite Englishman at a distant friend's wedding all through this video. I suspect its you who are seeking out any possible morsel of positivity, because you've set your heart on it. I wasn't watching to look for negatives, I was just watching to see what all the fuss was about.

To be honest I think its a case of the opposite. If you actually watch the thing through you don't get any sense of excitement, you get a sense of someone trying really hard to find the right way to say something negative while playing the game with the game's creators. Joe is a very expressive person, but he was was like a polite Englishman at a distant friend's wedding all through this video. I suspect its you who are seeking out any possible morsel of positivity, because you've set your heart on it. I wasn't watching to look for negatives, I was just watching to see what all the fuss was about.

My heart? Lol. Sorry I don't get that involved. It's just a game, if it sucks I'll move to the next one. No worries.

You and I are just different. I watched the video so I could see the gameplay and form my own opinion. Not so I could try and decipher how the reviewer feels about it. I couldn't care less what angry Joe thinks he won't be playing the game for me.

But yes I suppose you weren't looking for negative considering you've only posted negatives and none of the positives angry mentioned.

figures… another overhyped turd for the masses.... stick an RPG label on it to draw more people... hihihihi

Um what? What does this even mean....this is subjective at best.

Angryjoe's closing summary:

I'm encouraged, but I had to bring down my hype a bit, it wasn't this big epic thing. It sucks that I can't have clans, it sucks that I can't open car doors and use them for cover and all that kind of stuff, and I'm a little worried about enemy variation, you know, aliens etc, I mean, I don't want there to be aliens and shit, Just, you know, some variety, but don't worry you haven't seen everything, so we'll see.

To which, as the video as a whole gave the impression of him being someone toning down their hype. I have no idea about reading people, but maybe it's now in writing you can read it and tell me where I went wrong…

I've seen part of the same video and got the same impression. He is a bit like a child and gets carried away, so if he's not jumping ecstatically then it's no good.
Division seems too... plain. Even AC or Far Cry have a few elements that sets them apart and the only thing that could pull it above average, is the central story...it has interesting, somewhat 'Last of Us" feel to it.
But I don't get the impression they are going in that direction.

I only skipped through the video but that looked like complete garbage to me. How are you supposed to get immersed in a game where the HUD is so super-mega-busy? There is a tag on everything, bling-bling and blong-blong all over the place. WTF?

Secondly, what is up with the guys wearing gangsta clothes eating half a clip of submachine ammo (to the HEAD) before finally going down? WTF? Does this game even have hit boxes or a damage model where a head shot is more damaging than a shot to the groin?

Thirdly, this might have been partially an issue with this being a demo but the game really seemed to be lacking a "flow". The constant back and forth between map, set a waypoint, action, map, check a waypoint, action etc. would irritate me big time after a short while. It's very anti-immersive when the game doesn't allow you to just get into it but always rips you out of the experience.

So I don't really care whether they label this shooter or RPG or Mickey Mouse adventures. I label it crap! :biggrin:

Angryjoe's closing summary:

To which, as the video as a whole gave the impression of him being someone toning down their hype. I have no idea about reading people, but maybe it's now in writing you can read it and tell me where I went wrong…

toning down their hype and being embarrassed and bored is a big divide imo.

I've seen part of the same video and got the same impression. He is a bit like a child and gets carried away, so if he's not jumping ecstatically then it's no good.

This is the first angry joe video I've watched. I never knew he had so much pull. We can shut down all the video game websites and we can all just watch angry joe. he can tell us what we like. if he gives us the thumbs up then we will all open our wallets if not, well then it's no good.;)

I only skipped through the video but that looked like complete garbage to me. How are you supposed to get immersed in a game where the HUD is so super-mega-busy? There is a tag on everything, bling-bling and blong-blong all over the place. WTF?

Secondly, what is up with the guys wearing gangsta clothes eating half a clip of submachine ammo (to the HEAD) before finally going down? WTF? Does this game even have hit boxes or a damage model where a head shot is more damaging than a shot to the groin?

Thirdly, this might have been partially an issue with this being a demo but the game really seemed to be lacking a "flow". The constant back and forth between map, set a waypoint, action, map, check a waypoint, action etc. would irritate me big time after a short while. It's very anti-immersive when the game doesn't allow you to just get into it but always rips you out of the experience.

So I don't really care whether they label this shooter or RPG or Mickey Mouse adventures. I label it crap! :biggrin:

Finally someone that watched the gameplay and gave their OWN opinion. I can respect that.

I actually agree with everything you typed except the part about it being crap. It looks very similar to borderlands imo, which I had quite a bit of fun co-oping and I'm hoping i'll get the same experience here. Borderlands had a busy HUD, enemies that could take a ton of damage and numbers poping everywhere but it was some good fun with friends.

I actually agree with everything you typed except the part about it being crap. It looks very similar to borderlands imo, which I had quite a bit of fun co-oping and I'm hoping i'll get the same experience here. Borderlands had a busy HUD, enemies that could take a ton of damage and numbers poping everywhere but it was some good fun with friends.

Yes, I'm mostly a single player guy. If I play multiplayer games at all these days then usually MMOs where I also just go solo most of the time.
I've heard that Borderlands is good fun in coop but it has never interested me personally (also because of the setting and the art style).
As a single player this has zero appeal to me but I could see The Division be kind of fun in coop so I'm hoping that Ubi doesn't mess it up for you guys! :)

By the way, Angry Joe can be pretty funny sometimes. If anyone is seriously bored today then check out his Star Wars Battlefront review. It has some very amusing parts like the re-enacted lightsaber battles or when he imitates the sound of a TIE fighter :) .

toning down their hype and being embarrassed and bored is a big divide imo... This is the first angry joe video I've watched.

*facepalm*

I never knew he had so much pull. We can shut down all the video game websites and we can all just watch angry joe. he can tell us what we like. if he gives us the thumbs up then we will all open our wallets if not, well then it's no good.;)

Yes, why does anyone read anything anyone else has to say, we should all buy everything and make up our own minds... wait a minute... oh... *facepalm*

Finally someone that watched the gameplay and gave their OWN opinion. I can respect that.

I withheld my own opinion because I suspected you would go insane. But if you insist... it's a shooter that's had the "open-world RPG" window dressing treatment because that's a buzzword that sells and for no other reason, the same as Dragon Age Inquisition. The world looks fake, the premise stereotypical beyond mundanity, Duckhunt had a greater sense of tension and anticipation, crafting is possible because that's a buzzword that sells and for no other reason, it looks like one big trash-mob maze from the 'grind' levels of any random aRPG. I could go on, but I'm actually dying of boredom thinking about why this game exists and what the mindset of a typical player must be beyond drunk friends doing something because it's better than staring at a wall during a power cut... no... wait... you must have power if you... nope, there must be something people can do that's more enjoyable than this... there must be...

Ah yes, Borderlands, that other awesome RPG... ah yes, I remember now, that's why I went to look at the video... for no other reason than to see if it was an RPG... to see where the world of RPG is at...

Back
Top Bottom