Fallout 4 - A Final Goodbye

I only somewhat enjoyed Fallout 3, I mostly enjoyed Fallout New Vegas (not Bethesda), and I very much enjoyed Fallout 4. Fallout 4 is the first of the 10 or so Bethesda open-world RPGs that I enjoyed from beginning to end without getting bored halfway through.

To each their own, I guess.

I see lots of Bethesda Boys here defending their popcorn fun :devilish:

Of course it is.

For starters, pretty much all Fallout 4 sales at this point are based on franchise or developer reputation, not the actual game itself. After all, Fallout 4 got very bad reviews compared to all previous Bethesda games. (Metacritic: Morrowind 89, Oblivion 94, FO3 91, Skyrim 94, FO4 84.)

But secondly, the direction they're moving the game in - towards the mainstream and away from its RPG roots, is intended to create more sales than before. That's the whole point.

So, saying it's doing "quite well" really has nothing to do with anything being discussed in this (stupidly short) article.

Oblivion 94......... well, so obviously Bethesda knows how to hack metacritics... perhaps the security flaw was discovered and fixed before the FO4 release ?

This article reminded me of the Resident Evil series.with Capcom making Resident Evil :Code Veronica,Remastered and Zero faithfull to original games and all in all good Res. Evil. Games but they didn't sell.
So they decided to make them more action oriented with each new addition and from what i know the sales were far better.
The difference is that Bethesda never really tried to make a faithfull to the spirit of the originals Fallout game and -unsurprisingly- took the mass market option right away.
Just because something sells doesn't mean it's good.I 'm sure McDonalds sell pretty good but you wouldn't rank their food among the best you could eat,would you?

I do think that people often mix up the game quality with nostalgia.
Pretty much every old classic game is unplayable by today's standards.
No matter how good the game was in the year 1995, it looks like a total crap in year 2016. Interface, visuals, plot, quests, everything is mediocre at best, except for nostalgia - your memory about your excitement that you first saw that game in year 1995.

I can imagine the disappointment of a young person who can decide to give a try to FO1 instead of getting right into FO4. I would not recommend to anyone any of those old classic games no matter how great my excitement was when I first saw such classics as Wizardry 7 or Worlds of Xeen or Dark Queen of Krynn.

No matter how good the game was in the year 1995, it looks like a total crap in year 2016. Interface, visuals, plot, quests, everything is mediocre at best, except for nostalgia - your memory about your excitement that you first saw that game in year 1995.

I can imagine the disappointment of a young person who can decide to give a try to FO1 instead of getting right into FO4. I would not recommend to anyone any of those old classic games no matter how great my excitement was when I first saw such classics as Wizardry 7 or Worlds of Xeen or Dark Queen of Krynn.
You have no clue what you are talking about. Graphics and UI have improved, but nothing else.

Here watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJJaGSV75y0
Fo1 and 2 are used to show good quest design, not modern crap.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Graphics and UI have improved, but nothing else.

What about voice acting? What about the size and the various backgrounds of the developing teams? In the "good ole days" (and I mean way, way back), games were being made by young nerds. What kind of writing skills are we supposed to expect from yound computer nerds? Not much, I'm sure, though some might have surprised.

Yeah yeah, and Fallout 3 destroyed the Fallout series. And Oblivion destroyed the Elder Scrolls series

I hated OB when it came out …. HOWEVER… as it stands today , its 10x the better game and 10x more an RPG than the trash we usually get. Oblivion is great in fact

Last edited:
There's one thing I must admit the Bethesda-hating-trolls have: they are unusually stubborn. They won't give up. They'll shoot in all directions, they'll search for every thread, every post about the games they hate and they will persist until everybody else gives up. I'm giving up for now. See you later.

In the past 3 years i have finished for the first time Wizardy 8,Might and Magic 6,7 and 8 and i have enjoyed them very much.
More so than a lot of modern games even if some parts of them are dated.
So my nostalgia is rather recent.

Just finished my playthrough with about 170 hours of playtime and doing all 4 factions. I mostly enjoyed the game but I never felt like my choices really made any difference. While I will probably play the DLC addon's I can't imagine replaying the game again like I do so many other RPG's - there is no reason to.

What about voice acting? What about the size and the various backgrounds of the developing teams? In the "good ole days" (and I mean way, way back), games were being made by young nerds. What kind of writing skills are we supposed to expect from yound computer nerds? Not much, I'm sure, though some might have surprised.
Voice acting is usually bad and limits games due to its cost. It also made players get used to not reading.

Background of the development team?! What are you about? I don't care if the game was made by monkey if the game is good. Newer fallout are surely not a sign of that.

I really do not understand why there is such backlash against this game. Sure, NV was a much better game with regards to RPG mechanics (but had a poorly designed world, much inferior to the Capital Wasteland or the Commonwealth).

But compared to F3? It had ridiculous quests, no real choice to speak of and was even more linear than this one. Don't want to search for your father? Tough luck. The last DLC was basically just a corridor shooter. Really enjoyed the Pit though.

What about voice acting?

Yeah, what about it?
I have nothing against it, if you can get right what's more important first… If you have shit story, generic quests, bland fake world, there's no amount of voice acting that can fix it….
Even if they get like ten AAA actors

What about the size and the various backgrouds of the developing teams?

History clearly demonstrates that a smaller, malnourished band of people working in modest conditions , who don't know what they're doing , can easily outperform most big AAA publishers (except maybe CD RED)….
its very funny to watch how 1 student gamer from a country people didn't know existed made a better Fallout than this multi-million corporation Betheda rofl…
or those 4 Finns locked up in a damp basement who resurrected a dead genre no one have had the balls to try to…. That's what I want to talk about, not voice acting or if there'd be a transsexual alien to romance in the new ME… (that's joxer's job :p jk)

In the "good ole days" (and I mean way, way back), games were being made by young nerds.

What kind of writing skills are we supposed to expect from yound computer nerds?

Not much, I'm sure, though some might have surprised.

That is just uninformed as hell…. So young people are inherently doomed from good writing skills ? … biggest load of bollocks I heard today ….. there's still room to match it though , its only 1 PM in Italy

There's one thing I must admit the Bethesda-hating-trolls have: they are unusually stubborn. They won't give up. They'll shoot in all directions, they'll search for every thread, every post about the games they hate and they will persist until everybody else gives up. I'm giving up for now. See you later.

Ok Mr Gib…. If you want to get better titles eventually you ought to up your standards as a consumer and stop defending shit products and companies that are manipulating you …. Don't be a Bethesda bleeding-heart drone brigade that will joyously swallow anything with a famous brand on it….If someone is hatin' its probably due to being forced to watch their childhood franchise monetized and ripped apart… It's a love thing.

Last edited:
I would not recommend to anyone any of those old classic games .

Why dude… do you think classic games are not worth trying? … I just don't understand you
There are classic games I played a year ago for the first time and had more of a blast than with Fallout 4 or most of the new titles… There's also a local cinotheque I visit at least once a month and watch some classic film I missed due to my age…Nothing wrong with it
Friend asked me for a good story novel… I wanted to give him Jack London's Iron Heel , or should I just force-feed him Dan Brown to get him off my back?

Just finished my playthrough with about 170 hours of playtime and doing all 4 factions.
I mostly enjoyed the game but I never felt like my choices really made any difference.

That's because most of the time dialogue leads to the SAME result no matter what you say
Most attributes have NO consequence, you can have 1 in intelligence and still hack computers or have most dialogue options.

Last edited:
That is just uninformed as hell…. So young people are inherently doomed from good writing skills ? … biggest load of bollocks I heard today ….. there's still room to match it though , its only 1 PM in Italy

I didn't write that, did I? But you are not above distorting others posts if it fits your objective, right? I just said that a couple of young computer nerds aren't expected to have better writing skills than people who write for a living. I once wrote for a living (not a real writer, mind you, I was a journalist) and even though I couldn't write a proper book or script even if my life depended on it, I can recognize bad writing when I see it. And most of the old games writing - when there was any writing at all (and when I say old, I mean old as in not only middle 90s but also early 90s amd early 80s) was as good as fan fic crap. A lot of the new retro-nostalgic games are on the same vein. Wasteland 2 comes to my mind when I think of a perfect exemple of what could be compared to fan fiction.

Ok Mr Gib…. If you want to get better titles eventually you ought to up your standards as a consumer and stop defending shit products and companies that are manipulating you …. Don't be a Bethesda bleeding-heart drone brigade that will joyously swallow anything with a famous brand on it….If someone is hatin' its probably due to being forced to watch their childhood franchise monetized and ripper apart… It's a love thing.

Yeah, yeah, right. But don't expect me to take your word for it. You are not the type I would take recomendations seriously. Take care, don't hate too much, it's bad for your health.

Why dude…. do you think classic games are not worth it ? …. I just don't understand you ….

Why bother if you have much better games nowadays? They are much more comfortable, they are much more user friendly. There's no reason for me to play Daggerfall when I have Skyrim, except for nostalgia. If I get tried of Skyrim I can chose Drangon Age Inquisitor or The Witcher 3, but I never get back to Daggerfall, except when my nostalgia gets me.

I can recommend old classics to experienced fellow RPG players, no problem. But I would never recommend it to overage person. Let them play FO 4 or Witcher 3 instead I say. That's the right way in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom