The TV Series discussion thread

We finished Season 1 of Homeland tonight. Verdict: 2 wouldn't watch any further seasons, 1 said they would. I thought it was mostly time-wasting crap. I see it got Golden Globes... jeezus...

I loved Peaky Blinders, just finished season 2 and I'm looking forward to the next.
Atm I'm watching The Knick, season 2, and Real Humans, 'Äkta människor", a Swedish series, season 1. Both fascinating!

I loved Peaky Blinders, just finished season 2 and I'm looking forward to the next.
Atm I'm watching The Knick, season 2, and Real Humans, 'Äkta människor", a Swedish series, season 1. Both fascinating!

"Äkta Männsikor" is really amazing and scaringly relevant!

Sci-fi thriller in which a group of teenagers wake to a world where the adults have mysteriously disappeared and all technology has ceased to function.
-
Rose and Lucas set out to track down a mysterious military transport plane seen in the skies above the city. Meanwhile, Jack, Eliza and Tom encounter a terrifying creature.
-
Rose, Lucas and Doni find themselves trapped deep underground in a nest of Creepers. Meanwhile, Jack, Eliza and Tom are forced to defend the house.
13.jpg
01.jpg

Potential kids' garbage that I'm not really sure is garbage or worth watching, as based on at least one pic, no, all adults are not gone and ep2 suggests not all tech went dead.
imdb doesn't even have an entry on this brand new TV show titled The Cul De Sac.
http://www.australiantelevision.net/newzealand/cul-de-sac/series1.html
Anyone who isn't from New Zealand caught it somewhere? I mean, is it worth the wait?

I've loved Peaky Blinders to date. Cannot wait for more.

Am currently catching up on Vikings Season 4 (http://www.history.com/shows/vikings) -- Great series. I was surprised in episode 3 of this season when the series introduced a Viking Berserker. I hadn't known that Berserkers were actually real; but as it turns out "Berserkers (or berserks) were Norse warriors who are primarily reported in the Old Norse literature to have fought in a nearly uncontrollable, trance-like fury, a characteristic which later gave rise to the English word berserk. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker -- Probably not news to most others here but it was to me.

Just finished watching the wonderful 50 episode Korean Drama "Six Flying Dragons" http://asianwiki.com/Six_Flying_Dragons -- cannot recommend it highly enough. Liked it so much I followed it with the earlier 24 episode Korean series "Tree with Deep Roots" which follows (historically) the events of "Six Flying Dragons." Another great series.

Am also following "The Blacklist" Season 3 (Highly recommended) and Elementary, Season 4 (great actors, Jonny Lee Miller, Lucy Liu, Aidan Quinn)

A new season of Orphan Black begins tonight. First two seasons were superb. Last season not so good. But the new season is said to return to the creativity and freshness of Seasons 1 and 2. Fingers crossed.

Regards to all.

__

God, how do you people have time to play games, watch movies and TV-shows?? :S I feel so hopelessly behind these days, as I don't have nearly enough time to stay up-to-date.

Easy.
Don't watch everything, don't play everything.
Search for quality and not quantity.
If series are boring, don't waste your time, don't expect that season 2 will be better, just stop watching. If series are dragged, say them goodbye and switch to condensed miniseries.
If a game stinks, don't force yourself into playing it, just uninstall it. Avoid MMOs and grinds, you don't have enough time for second job.

Money lost? Believe it or not, I never regret money wasted, but time wasted I do.

Easy.
Don't watch everything, don't play everything.
Search for quality and not quantity.
If series are boring, don't waste your time, don't expect that season 2 will be better, just stop watching. If series are dragged, say them goodbye and switch to condensed miniseries.
If a game stinks, don't force yourself into playing it, just uninstall it. Avoid MMOs and grinds, you don't have enough time for second job.

Money lost? Believe it or not, I never regret money wasted, but time wasted I do.

But, but, but, I am already doing all of those things.........

In that case, you're not behind much.
I definetly am because I still have a few installed titles to play and haven't touched them yet (PoE, AoD, Grimrock2, Blackguards2) but I'll catch up hopefully soon.
Also I have a few animes on to watch list. Comics are pretty much on hold, I rarely buy any past few years. Books are completely gone from my life. I'm ashamed because of that, in my youth I was practically a bookworm, but a time came when reader's passion inside me couldn't click for years, something happened with my emotions I guess or new books are just too crappy. I still do read a book here and there, but it's not fiction but work related.
The rarest thing I do is movies. I usually rent something suggested by someone else as a great watch, just can't risk watching everything especially when most of it are rehashes and remakes of a cool thing I've already watched or materials for braindead people.

Maybe this is also important. I don't have pets. Also I stopped getting drunk every day, it's not that I'm too old to continue with it but it isn't fun anymore. Well, it is, but sporadically, not constantly.

Erm... I'll stop here, I think this went too much off topic.
To cover for it, on topic, BBC America started airing 4th season of Orphan Black. I hate the fact it's not available worldwide yet so I have to wait till another network license it. We're saying it's digital era but in fact we're still in ice age where video materials seem to travel on a donkey.

Finished S1 of The Expanse. Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Last space series I watched was Battlestar Galactica and a new one has been overdue for a long time.

Liked it a lot and am looking forward to the next season. Although..
that dude from Lost makes me wonder if we'll ever get satisfying answers to some of the questions at all. ;)

Just finished 9th season of Doctor Who

Over all the episodes were okay. It was nice to have the Game of thrones girl (Ayra) in the season for an extended stay. I thought they had some very original time ideas in the last three episodes worthy of Time traveling.

As far as new canon, I like the brittle new sunglasses-nice touch. They once again hinted at why the Doctor has went beyond his allocated regen but nothing feels definitive yet. They also weirdly hinted that the Doctor may have been a woman in some prior Regen.

Nice touch dept. The doctor had to kill a fellow Galifreian but before he offed him, He asked how many regens the guy had left. In my 40 plus years of watching the show, I can not recall the Doctor ever saying that.

However what distinguishes this season above all others is the acting. Everyone was on their "A" game for this season. Probably the most memorable was Davros in Heavens Sent. In the pop-up version of the episode the exchange between Davros and the Doctor had people crying. Amazing acting from probably the most evil villain in the Doctor Who Universe. Throughout the season there were a number of soliloquys by Capaldi that punched an emotional wallop. Tom Baker may still be my favorite Doctor but Capaldi may be the best actor of the bunch.

I can hardly wait for the next season.

Yes, season 9 was great, especially refreshing after a season 8 that I didn't like at all.

I haven't watched The Expanse, but I'm interested to hear it mentioned alongside Battlestar. I think that, along the way, Battlestar achieved real quality. But, I think it had a fatal flaw - it was mythic in its nature, but the show runner said that it wasn't focussed on the plot, but rather charater-driven. I think that created an unsatisfactory resolution, because something that is mythic in its structure needs to have its plot resolve to a point, which it failed to do.

I haven't watched The Expanse, but I'm interested to hear it mentioned alongside Battlestar. I think that, along the way, Battlestar achieved real quality. But, I think it had a fatal flaw - it was mythic in its nature, but the show runner said that it wasn't focussed on the plot, but rather charater-driven. I think that created an unsatisfactory resolution, because something that is mythic in its structure needs to have its plot resolve to a point, which it failed to do.

I thought BG had real quality from the start. The problem was that they lost it somewhere in the second half.

The first 2 seasons of BG are among my favorite of any sci-fi series. The 3rd and 4th seasons however… well, let's just say I'm still scratching my head to this day.

I think they tried to be a little too clever for their own good.

- Shannara Chronicles

I'm interested to know how that one is? Any good?

Rewatching:
- Star Trek TNG (on last 4 episodes of the series)
- Star Trek DS9 (finishing season 2).

DS9 is my fav Star Trek series. I love how there is a bigger overarching plot that is actually developed over a few seasons (starting from S3, IIRC).

Shannara Chronicles was decent. It was on MTV so they were going for the younger audience. I will watch the 2nd season if there is one. They did shoot it in New Zealand so the scenery was nice. The two female actors they had in it were so good looking it was almost distracting :) Side note: they were in a hot tub together and I paused the show. I told my wife if they would have sex right now, that God could strike me down, and I would die a happy man hehe.

Starting to watch the 2nd season of Daredevil. First episode was pretty good. Game of Thrones starts Sunday. WOOT WOOT.

Mini Marathon of Star Trek Voyager over the weekend
watched about 10 plus shows from the 7 seasons.

Two things about the show:
One - Janeway was annoying and I hated how they continually freezed framed her face for dramatic effect at the end of a segment.
Two - This series was very very good

Some noteworthy episodes
1) Voyager encounters the dinosaurs that left earth millions of years ago before some type of cataclysm. They are now very very advanced. Superior episode with melancholy ending.

2) Tuvok crash lands on a planet where he encounters a species that ages backwards (Like Benjamin Button). Another melancholy ending

3) Voyager is trapped in a gravity well above a planet, whose society ages 1 day for every second Voyager is trapped in the sky above. A happy ending that was thought provoking.

Voyager encounter a race that has control of time and is wiping out the existence of entire species. Thankfully this was a two part episode that explored a number of fascinating concepts.

The first 3 episodes could have easily been a movie. They all had great writing and acting and surprisingly good special effects. I think I might have to devote some time to re-watching the whole series.

Back
Top Bottom