Microsoft - Win 10 Gaining Traction

About six weeks into owning it, all the Win10 stuff like Cortana and the appstore stopped working, and for me like many others, all the online fixes don't work. Only fix is to create a new user account and copy all my docs and stuff to that new user account, but I haven't done it because I am afraid I will miss something and because I don't miss the appstore stuff anyway.

Did you do a clean install or did you upgrade? I upgraded 3 computers to Win10 and like you had all the problems you mentioned plus some other strangeness like long delays when creating a folder (you'd create a folder and 30 seconds later it would appear).

I went down the path of creating a new user. All was good for a little while and then it all started happening again… plus new weirdness.

My advice is that if you do anything at all (and if you haven't already) is just bite the bullet and do a complete fresh format/reinstall. Historically, going all the way back to post Win95 releases, upgrading has never been very reliable for me.

Since I clean installed Win10 on my PCs 5 months ago, none of that weirdness has happened... yet anyway. Time will tell for sure. But with the upgrade path, the weirdness started in a matter of weeks.

Any way to turn off the notifications? I like to be on the tail end of OS's to avoid bugs. Will probably stay on 7 till I get a new pc

Did you do a clean install or did you upgrade? I upgraded 3 computers to Win10 and like you had all the problems you mentioned plus some other strangeness like long delays when creating a folder (you'd create a folder and 30 seconds later it would appear).

I went down the path of creating a new user. All was good for a little while and then it all started happening again… plus new weirdness.

My advice is that if you do anything at all (and if you haven't already) is just bite the bullet and do a complete fresh format/reinstall. Historically, going all the way back to post Win95 releases, upgrading has never been very reliable for me.

Since I clean installed Win10 on my PCs 5 months ago, none of that weirdness has happened... yet anyway. Time will tell for sure. But with the upgrade path, the weirdness started in a matter of weeks.
Well, mine was a new computer so the Win 10 was OEM or whatever (pre-installed by Falcon Northwest).

I have rarely tried upgrading an OS in the past - due to fear of the issues you brought up. However, I assume it is not possible for free to do a clean install of Win10 is it? Would I have to buy it for each computer?

The computers are my sons' and my wife's - I dread having to somehow backup everything they want to keep before doing the Win10 thing.

About six weeks into owning it, all the Win10 stuff like Cortana and the appstore stopped working
Cortana is spyware. Disable that b*tch.
Appstore is phone bloatware clone. Ignore that garbage and buy software in proper (PC) stores. If fetish on phone appstores is your thing, install android emulator Bluestacks that is free and works not only with google appstore but also runs phone software.

Dunno what made those things nonworking on your side, but consider yourself lucky!
I don't get why any home user would use MS Office ?
Because Ami Pro is not available any more so we switched to Microsoft's solution from 2007 and we like it.
Any way to turn off the notifications? I like to be on the tail end of OS's to avoid bugs. Will probably stay on 7 till I get a new pc
Absolutely yes, there is notifications option in settings where you can disable (or enable) those for almost anything. You'll definetly want to disable "windows tips" there as it's notorious for hammering CPU.
Almost as some applications need to be set inside their options (for example to disable VLC notifications you need to run VLC then go tools, preferences, all, main interfaces, qt and there set notifications on "never").

Ouch I thought he's asking about notifications in win10, sorry 'bout that.

I also didn't notice:
"mine was a new computer so the Win 10 was OEM or whatever" what do do now.

New windows 10 installation allows you to use win7 or win8 key to perform a clean installation. Previously you had to upgrade first then do clean install after at least one upgrade, but Microsoft sorted it out.
If you don't have a sticker on your PC with windows 7/8 key or you never received it on a guide or paper that was packed with PC, then it's "burned" in your BIOS.
To see such key, use this freeware utility that will read it for you from BIOS (you'll spot that Product ID in this case has OEM word in it):
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
If even that doesn't help, and you don't know where the sticker/paper with your key is, you'll have to do it the classic way, first upgrade existing 7 or 8, whatever it is, then boot win10 installation from USB drive, format c: and do the win10 install on it.

I'm using SoftMaker Office - it's everything I need. I prefer it even over the slow and sluggy LibreOffice.

Well, mine was a new computer so the Win 10 was OEM or whatever (pre-installed by Falcon Northwest).

I have rarely tried upgrading an OS in the past - due to fear of the issues you brought up. However, I assume it is not possible for free to do a clean install of Win10 is it? Would I have to buy it for each computer?

The computers are my sons' and my wife's - I dread having to somehow backup everything they want to keep before doing the Win10 thing.

Congrats on your Falcon NW. I bought a Falcon NW Mach V last year and love it.

Typically, it's not that hard to backup your data. If you follow along with Microsoft's paradigm, just backup everything in each user's folder (i.e. C:\Users\Username). If you backup data outside of Microsoft's paradigm, then you have to backup those locations as well. I usually make two backups on two separate storage devices of each user's data just to be safe.

The bigger pain is reinstalling all your programs but there's no way around that.

My Falcon NW came with a bona-fide Win10 Disc and a printed license key that came with the Win10 disc. If yours did not, look for a Win10 sticker on your computer that should have a license key on it. If that doesn't work, call Falcon NW and ask about it. I've found their tech support top notch.

If your computer didn't come with a Win10 disc (but you have your win10 license) You can download Win10 here. It's easiest to download Win10 to a USB stick and install it to your computer from there.

The only mildly 'scary' part is changing your boot order in your BIOS… and it's really not scary at all. When booting up your computer you should see something that says Press F2 or F11 or DEL key to enter BIOS Setup. Depending on your computer it could be one of those 3 keys or some other key, you just have to pay attention when your computer reboots as to which key to press.

Once in your BIOS navigate around in your menus until you find something similar to 'change boot order.' What you're trying to do is tell your computer to boot from your USB stick. Once you've found the area where you can set up the order of which devices should be used to boot up your computer, disable everything you see in the list and make the first boot device a USB stick device… the nomenclature for 'USB Stick' may be different but there are typically only a few options such as Hard Drive, CD ROM, and USB.

Once you've got your boot device list cleared out with only USB as the device to boot from, save the settings in your BIOS, make sure your USB stick with Win10 on it is plugged into your computer (any USB slot is fine), and then reboot your PC.

You'll need to follow the Win10 setup instructions to install Win10 but it's really not very hard and if you need a little hand holding you can always watch a YouTube video such as this one.

Also just as a side note, the Win10 installation will revert your BIOS boot device settings back to your hard drive as part of its installation, so you don't have to worry about doing that after Win10 has been installed on your machine.

Once Win10 is installed, you will have the joys of Windows Update patching Win10 (which depending on your internet speeds can sometimes take an eternity), setting up your users, restoring their data, and reinstalling all your programs. This is really the most cumbersome part of doing a fresh install as, unlike in the past, the process of installing the o/s is fairly quick these days.

I've had well behaved PCs since I did a clean install and simply re-creating user accounts (which by the way has a lot of the same hassles that a clean install has) didn't seem to do much for me while costing me a good chunk of time to execute.

Good luck.

Thanks MadGamer! I think I'll probably just live with my slightly less functional Win10 on the FalconNW - but I will likely have to follow your steps on the other computers. I guess it didn't occur to me that some people might not be upgrading at all. I suppose there is no real reason my kids and wife need Win 10 - none of their computers even have a graphics card, so they won't be able to run latest and greatest anyway.

And thanks to you to Joxer - I seem to recall it was a pain trying to find my kids' Win 7 keys when I poked around for them earlier, so I may have to try that freeware to read it from the BIOS.

Everything I have ever learned about computers has been solely to support my PC gaming habit... but it is easily worth the hassle.

Open office is fine for anything a home user would want to do I guess??
IMO, only real reason your avg Joe would "need" MS Office at home is if you have to exchange source files (ie: not PDFs) with someone else who uses MS Office. Otherwise OpenOffice or LibreOffice work perfectly fine as you said, and they have the advantage of not having the retarded "ribbon" UI.

This just in... always nice when a company like Microsoft listens to user feedback :biggrin:

http://wccftech.com/new-low-for-microsoft-windows-10-forced-upgrades-continue/

We recently posted about a scathing user report where Microsoft had changed the behavior of the X (close button) on the Get Windows 10 app. Instead of closing the process, the app started taking the NO as a YES and started downloading and installing Windows 10 without any further interaction. After a flood of criticism, Microsoft reviewed the newly changed behavior and introduced a second popup that would allow the user to confirm or delay the installation process.

Turns out, that was only a temporary happiness that Windows 7 and 8 users shared, because the company is again in the news, annoying users. Microsoft is making it extremely difficult to avoid automatic Windows 10 updates now, and is removing the option to cancel the update altogether. A report claims that there is no cancel option in the update dialog box anymore, as the user is presented with choices to either upgrade instantly or choose a upgrade time. As you can see in the screenshot below, there is no X button, and only two options. Reports claim that users also aren’t able to re-schedule the chosen upgrade time once they have selected a date and time to upgrade on this dialog box.

the-shining-scene-woman-hammer-get-windows-10-your-pc-is-ready-for-your-free-upgrade.jpg

Henceforth, I shall be trolling any and all mentions of Microsoft Windows with silly gifs. Thank you for your understanding.

lol!

It's amazing how you can start to "gain traction" when you basically beat people over the head with your product on a daily basis. :p

Uninstall Windows Update KB3035583 and reboot. Or if you want to just disable the pop up customize the task bar icons and choose hide icon and notifications for the GWX icon.

-kwm

Open office is fine for anything a home user would want to do I guess??

Long story or short one? O.k. the tldr version:

I work in a business school where we exclusively use and teach MS Office because it is "industry standard". We also get full software support directly from MS, while we would have to employ a third party software service company - too much bother.

I regularly get a licence for a new version for very, very cheap and I don't have to bother with branching open source projects (OpenOffice vs LibreOffice etc.) and the permanent compatability issues especially with PowerPoint clones.

Back
Top Bottom