The Science Thread

...Need to solve the light speed problem to be able to visit any stellar neighbors with a single lifetime.

I'm working on it. After finishing the cure for cancer.

pibbur who wishes that what he just said was true, at least half of it. Most likely he'll need other excuses to visit Stockholm.

Actually Alpha Centauri (closest known star) is only 4.37 light years away. We should be able to get to it without breaking the speed of light maybe even within a generation.

Using spectroscopy the mean radial velocity has been determined to be around 20 km/s towards the Solar System.

By about 29,700 AD, in the present-day constellation of Hydra, Alpha Centauri will be 1.00 pc or 3.26 ly away.[61] Then it will reach the stationary radial velocity (RVel) of 0.0 km/s…

Last edited:
I just recently ran into this site: https://curiositystream.com, a site with a lot of good quality science stuff. Available at a fairly cheap price, from 29.95 USD pr year and upwards depending on quality (SD, HD and 4K). First month free. Lots of very interesting stuff, highly recommended.

Just saw a programme about little Betelgeuse, a red giant in Orion. At around 10 solar masses it isn't exactly small, but it's only around 10 million years old (quite young compared to the (fat old) sun who these days celebrates its 4.6 billionth birhtday). And since giants burn their fuel extremely fast, it's already dying, likely to enter the iron age, going supernova anytime soon within the next 100 000 years (a short time compared to our (black hole) sun which has yet another 4 billion years to go)

pibbur who has three wishes for Betelgeuse: That it went supernova between 620 and 640 years ago, so he'll be able to see it. That there are no inhabited planets in the neighbourhood. That it will release no gamma ray burst in the earth's general direction (it's close enough to cause our 6th major mass effec.. sorry … extinction event, but fortunately it's rotation axis deviates by 22 degrees)

Last edited:
NASA's Kepler Mission Announces Largest Collection of Planets Ever Discovered

NASA's Kepler mission has verified 1,284 new planets – the single largest finding of planets to date.

kepler_fig10.jpg

Last edited:
The smell is what bothers me. Castor Bean oil. Yuck. Isn't ricin poison in castor beans?

I've had to stop buying Hershey, Cadbury, and Mars products. Godiva, Ghirardelli, Lindt, didn't use PGPR the last time I bought them.

Back
Top Bottom