Mass Effect: Andromeda - Single Player Support Canceled

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Bioware cancels the support for the single player part of Mass Effect Andromeda:

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Update from the Studio

Since the release of Mass Effect™: Andromeda, we’ve worked hard to address feedback from our community. From improving animations to expanding customization options, we looked to respond to your concerns, and build on what you loved.

With each patch, you let us know we were heading in the right direction, and we're grateful to everyone who joined us on this journey. We're proud of what we created, and we hope you enjoyed it as well.

Early in development, we decided to focus Mass Effect: Andromeda’s story on the Pathfinder, the exploration of the Andromeda galaxy, and the conflict with the Archon. The game was designed to further expand on the Pathfinder’s journey through this new galaxy with story-based APEX multiplayer missions and we will continue to tell stories in the Andromeda Galaxy through our upcoming comics and novels, including the fate of the quarian ark.

Our last update, 1.10, was the final update for Mass Effect: Andromeda. There are no planned future patches for single-player or in-game story content.

In the coming weeks, our multiplayer team will provide details of their ongoing support and upcoming content, including new multiplayer missions, character kits, and what’s in store for N7 Day.

We appreciate all the millions of people who came with us to the Andromeda galaxy. We hope to see you again in the Mass Effect universe.

The Mass Effect Andromeda Team
Thank RPGFool!

More information.

So... does it make sense? Or is it still full of bugs?

That some things (like the horrendous UI or some of the writing) are not fixable with patches is clear - at least if you consider a company like EA is concerned, which abandons every game as soon as possible.

All Hail Multiplayer !

The planned quarian ark dlc is recycled into a comics.

So… does it make sense? Or is it still full of bugs?
It makes sense.
While I was still caring following news, just a few irrelevant bugs were unfixed and that was IIRC patch 1.06, they're mentioning 1.10 up there.

I remember these:

- environment puzzle not working in unmarked dungeon on desert planet - it's solved already when you enter :D

- Mako floating achievement not possible with K+M, only with mushrooms - I posted on EA answers they need to rename the achievement into "used mushrooms in ME4"

- Running for Fever quest doesn't trigger - as you can 100% the game without doing it and it's stupid fetch quest, perhaps it's better it wasn't working

- ancient AI disappears postfinale if you kept it for yourself, it's still available if you gave it to Angarra - which is also pretty irrelevant

Well, I dunno what was happening in 4 more patches they made after I moved onto other stuff, but I assume they managed to address these few things.

The planned quarian ark dlc is recycled into a comics.

Quarian Ark DLC was never planned. That and some other stuff "unanswered" in ME4 were left for ME5.
Comics, precisely ME: Discovery, are about Geth involvement in Andromeda Initiative BEFORE the flight even started. Sure, some quarians do appear in the comic, in fact the protagonist who is not quarian is searching for a quarian, but the rest of quarians they stumble upon all end up dead. And this quarian they are trying to find is irrelevant, in fact he's presumed dead by everyone they talk to, what they're actually after is the Andromeda galaxy data heretic Geth gave him! This presumably dead quarian was so thrilled by the data he tried to hack quarian fleet, not ark, the whole fleet as arks still didn't exist - to travel to a specific point in Andromeda galaxy, probably the same part of that galaxy ME4 is happening in.
There is not even a single mention of quarian ark in comics.

I guess you saw some nonsensical garbage stream about the comic. Next time instead of believing in rubbish streams, get the comic (final fourth issue will be released in two months):
https://www.darkhorse.com/Search/discovery

Last edited:
So… does it make sense? Or is it still full of bugs?

That some things (like the horrendous UI or some of the writing) are not fixable with patches is clear - at least if you consider a company like EA is concerned, which abandons every game as soon as possible.

I played it months ago and, apart from a couple of optional side quests that didn't leave the journal after completed, I didn't experience any bugs that I remember. Certainly nothing game-stopping.

I suspect that this could signal the end of all single player support for BW games; i.e., no future single player games from BW.

BW has pushed the DLC model for years as the only way for SP rpg games to be profitable. This announcement seems like abandonment of the DLC model, particularly since the current announcement acknowledged sales in the multi-millions ("We appreciate all the millions of people who came with us to the Andromeda galaxy."); and since BW does plan continued support for multiplayer ("The game was designed to further expand on the Pathfinder’s journey through this new galaxy with story-based APEX multiplayer missions").

Stuff happens... <shrug>

__

I suspect that this could signal the end of all single player support for BW games; i.e., no future single player games from BW.

BW has pushed the DLC model for years as the only way for SP rpg games to be profitable. This announcement seems like abandonment of the DLC model, particularly since the current announcement acknowledged sales in the multi-millions ("We appreciate all the millions of people who came with us to the Andromeda galaxy."); and since BW does plan continued support for multiplayer ("The game was designed to further expand on the Pathfinder’s journey through this new galaxy with story-based APEX multiplayer missions").

Stuff happens… <shrug>

__

That's a stretch.

That bad, huh? Time to cut their losses and move on, I guess. Just last month they were claiming it was a sales success. Now its a sweaty turd.

It wasn't long ago that BW was my favorite developer. Now they are my least favorite.

That bad, huh? Time to cut their losses and move on, I guess. Just last month they were claiming it was a sales success. Now its a sweaty turd.

I suspect the game was a finantial success. There's evidence that sales were in the 3-4 million bracket, and company management have stated publicly that the game has been a moneymaker (if that statement was false, it could cause huge liability issues).

Seems to me the real story here is move to multiplayer. This game continues multiplayer but abandons sp support. BW Montreal studio merged into different EA studio reportedly working on Starwars Battlefront multiplayer game. Next big BW IP -- Anthem -- to be multiplayer. Pretty strong multiplayer trend overall.

__

Aye I am pretty done with this company I think. I enjoyed my one play through with MEA but have no desire to play again ... and zero interest in MP of this type. Just empty combat - that seems like the trend for many MP styles these days. I wonder if there will be another DA game (certainly they left a large plot line open in the last game Solas) and if so will it be SRPG or not. I played DAI but only the base game and only once (versus DA2 which I played 3 times and DAO which I played 5-6) and never finished the last DLC. I had fun with it but for they did something I really disliked in the DLC which made me just quit in disgust.

Not many game developers left that I like these days. Only two really come to mind as BIO has been dropped from the list.

Seems to me the real story here is move to multiplayer. This game continues multiplayer but abandons sp support. BW Montreal studio merged into different EA studio reportedly working on Starwars Battlefront multiplayer game. Next big BW IP -- Anthem -- to be multiplayer. Pretty strong multiplayer trend overall.

__

Motive is actually working on SW Battlefront II single player campaign (and I personally believe it's in trouble otherwise EA wouldn't have moved half a studio to help them finish it).

As for Anthem, EA is putting basically everyone at BioWare on it (minus a small team on DA4 and another one on SWTOR) and that also smell like there is development trouble there.

Could very well be, since Multiplayer is THE PERFECT form of DRM.

They finished patching the single player side...that's all I see, I don't see them abandoning single player games.

Quarian Ark DLC was never planned. That and some other stuff "unanswered" in ME4 were left for ME5.

That would mean they teased content for ME5 in ME4 one or two years in advance and that in the between, any DLC made bridge could not have been Quarian DLC.
That would be a very surprising business decision.
Beside, ME5 was not supposed to be the same generation of protagonists but their descendents.
And they wrote a note to announce that the fate of the ark will be revealed in a comics.

After Andromeda was shot down in flames by people who were enraged because of ME3 endings, enraged because they lost their Sheppard, enraged because they see ME series as pursuing an agenda, enraged because EA bought Bioware, players who spent hours manufacturing bugs instead of playing ME4 properly, the conclusion was reached.
They wrapped it all up. The awful reception was motivated by unrelated to ME4 concerns.

They will use ME4 as a testing ground to developp skills for their next IP and how to do things they are unused to. It is over, they are recycling what they can.

enraged because EA bought Bioware
The name Bioware was shit before ME:A came out. "Bioware" has been nothing more than a name.

ME:A was a terrible game on its own merits, not because of some meta-gaming idea.

After Andromeda was shot down in flames by people who were enraged because of ME3 endings, enraged because they lost their Sheppard, enraged because they see ME series as pursuing an agenda, enraged because EA bought Bioware, players who spent hours manufacturing bugs instead of playing ME4 properly, the conclusion was reached.
They wrapped it all up. The awful reception was motivated by unrelated to ME4 concerns.

Nonsense. Psychological projections based on only a small percentage of actual player base. I know a number of huge ME/BW fans, who were disappointed and it has not even the slightest to do with anything you mentioned.

As for this, BW needs to restore goodwill of their fanbase...that matters more than short term sales.
Large expansion, Blood&Wine tier, decent price, with focus on problems with the main game, would make for a huge turn around in public reception.
Always seemed odd the IP is not more $ successful.

To me, part of the lack of appeal was that it looked like more of the same, with a less interesting story. I wish they'd tried to evolve the gameplay a bit, in particular by giving more direct control of the ship, space battles and so forth.

Our last update, 1.10, was the final update for Mass Effect: Andromeda. There are no planned future patches for single-player…

In the coming weeks, our multiplayer team will provide details of their ongoing support and upcoming content, including new multiplayer missions, character kits, and what’s in store for N7 Day.

Greedy cunts. They deserve all the heat they're getting, and more.

Back
Top Bottom