The TV Series discussion thread

As I understand it, the way they did that was because Andrew Lincoln wasn't interested in continuing to do the TV show, but he does have interest in potential movies down the line.

Yeah, that seems to be it. But it's still pretty shitty. You feel left hung to dry, as a viewer. At leas I did.

EDIT: Man, S9 is really starting to drag start with ep 11-12. It's getting into the minutia of ordinary life within the camps. So boring.

Last edited:
Scott has been a very mixed bag for me. I was really disappointed with what he did with the Alien Covenant and Prometheus. Aside from looking great, having nice atmosphere and a strong cast, they were very uninspired and had loads of idiotic plot points and stupid characters. And then hearing what he did with the various cuts of Blade Runner. As I understand it he was the one pushing for the Harrison Ford voice overs.

I did like his recent Last Duel, but disliked and was bored by House of Gucci. I also liked Raised by Wolves, for as much as I saw of it. But I'm not sure how much he was involved aside from directing the pilot, and being credited as a producer. As I understand it a producer is a very non-descript job, and can mean a lot of things.

I don't think films and television series are the same beast, so what he's done with recent films is irrelevant to me in regards to a Blade Runner series.

I just finished the second season of Raised by Wolves, and I thought it was pretty good. I definitely recommend watching that when you're in a sci-fi mood. I hope it did well enough for a third season because it has a lot of questions to be answered.

I've had given it my best. I was talked into trying the second series of Picard and, nope, I'm just not that desperate. It's simply beyond awful. If you can manage four episodes, congrats, you're tougher than I!

I've been digging the most recent series of Snowfall, which I think is building up to a violent conclusion. I'm three episodes in and things are looking rather grim. I've also started a re-watch of Atlanta, since the last time I checked out the show was when I was in Canada. I watched the first episode last night and barely remembered a thing so I'll keep going.

I've finished Vikings. There are ups and downs but overall a solid series inspired by a few famous characters, legendary or not.

The series mixes up a few things (like making Oleg of Novgorod a Christian…), struggles a little with the successive raids on Paris and it dissipates in the last season but it features great characters with a strong personality. I really enjoyed it!

I've finished Vikings: Valhalla too. The first season is quite good, even if the characters are more predictable and less interesting than the earlier series. I hope it will develop in the next season.

I'd love too hear some comments on Season 2 of Resident Alien since I'm really enjoying it, though it can be an acquired taste!! :)

I reached around the middle of season 10 of TWD, and these two have certainly been the most drawn out and boring of all of them. And I just realized the Whisperers are very similar to the crazy skinheads in Days Gone.

I think one bad thing about these latest episodes is how they pretty much took away all the tension behind the whisperers, but just displaying too much about them. I think they could have used a lot more mystery about them. But I still kind of like how the actress plays Alpha.

Oh, and I also don't like what they're currently doing with Negan. :(

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the second series of Resident Alien, for the most part. Some of the humour is....quite silly, the overall story is keeping me interested, for now. I've seen four episodes in the current series to date.

Well, I finished season 10 of TWD, and am pondering if I should just wait until 11 is all out before starting it.

Overall impresions, some very nice moments in the last few seasons. Some very meandering. Some great episodes, some not so much. But I’ve got to say they did a good job with Negan’s arc. He among my favorite characters. His origin story episode was a bit of mixed bag. It was too literal and cliched as far as his personal drama with his wife. But even so I enjoyed him. He’s always fun on screen.

We have become Vera addicts but we have to wait, season 11 and 12 are not yet available in my country.

Started with Shetland, after @Qayto; mentioned it to me. The first episode was a real bore (my god, such a slow pace compared to Vera) but ofc we tried the second one which turned out to be a bit better and since then things have improved.
The main character is not as captivating as Vera but now with him trying to solve the mystery around Michael Thompson and Robbie we are once again dying to know what is going on. And I think the makers deserve a compliment for the way they are telling the sad story of what happened to Tosh.

O and the Shetlands seem even a worse place to be than Northumberland, not a tree to be spotted, and nothing but wind and cold. Though the cliffs are magnificent.

We're watching Succession series 3, modern day sweary shakespeare (imo).

Recently enjoyed Holding, a 4 part who/why done it set in Ireland which went from comical to sinister over the story.

Stumbled accross What We Do in the Shadows (the series) which made us do actual lols. From it's synopsis I wouldn't have gone near it, but watched a bit on youtube and got intrigued.

I tried the first Succession series, I bailed on I think the third episode. Those kids were all just too whiny for me to tolerate.

What We Do in the Shadows is quite the gem! Sometimes the humour isn't truly all that amusing, for the most part though it's pretty hilarious. Right now I'm two episodes into the third series. I think my favourite episode was the one with Hamil in it, he can be quite the funny bloke!

While waiting for S11 of TWD to finish, I decided to start looking at Fear the Walking Dead. I saw episode 1, and it's pretty decent. I like the premise of showing actually how the zombie apocalypse starts. The only kind of off, was the main family's reaction after their son hits Calvin with the car, and the undead dude is still getting up. I mean, the mother's reaction "What is going" or something along those lines, is not exactly the reaction you'd imagine from seeing something just not die.

Anyway, I hope it gets better. It obviously feels of a lower budget than the main series start off as, which was pretty fantastic. I wonder if this also has the equivalent graphic novels to back them up, as the main series does? Does Kirkman cover this period in his comics?

Anyway, I hope it gets better. It obviously feels of a lower budget than the main series start off as, which was pretty fantastic. I wonder if this also has the equivalent graphic novels to back them up, as the main series does? Does Kirkman cover this period in his comics?

It gets *much* better. The first season, which is only 6 episodes iirc?, is kind of boring until the last episode. The following seasons, or at least the ones I've seen, are a lot more interesting. I really need to get back to it at some point.

There's no graphic novels for FtWD. It's an original story from those writers.

Kirkman was involved in the show, but no, there is no equivalent comic book covering those characters/stories.

It does get better. For my money, season 3 of Fear is better than 90% of Walking Dead. Then it shit all over itself after that and I bailed. Worth watching for those first three seasons.

I much preferred Fear the Walking Dead over The Walking Dead. Even the first season I thought was pretty good - it was nice to see the very start of the apocalypse.
Then they killed off the most interesting character, and my watching stalled. I stalled with the main series around season 9 or so - the one where the bad man who likes baseball bats is imprisoned.
Intend to start up again, but there is only so much time in the day and I keep finding other things to watch.

I heartily recommend Peaky Blinders. It's a series of a gang in Birmingham trying to take control of the illegal rackets in the area. First season is a bit slow, but the characters do grow on you after that and the stories are quite fun to watch.

The plot and characters aren't as strong as Sopranos in my opinion, but quite good nonetheless.

Oh man, Peaky Blinders is damn-near perfection! I love that show to tiny bits!

Fear the Walking Dead started off ok, then went into all sorts of tangents that made no sense to me. I stuck around till Madison vanished, then I think the son got wacked by some teenage girl, I bailed. Figured at that point they were just killing off the main cast for some reason.

I canned FtWD after watching the first 2-3 episodes. If it does pick up like what you guys have said then I guess I should try again. Would you lose anything by jumping straight to Season 3 or do you need to have seen them all to get the full payoff i.e. emotional attachment to characters etc?

I canned FtWD after watching the first 2-3 episodes. If it does pick up like what you guys have said then I guess I should try again. Would you lose anything by jumping straight to Season 3 or do you need to have seen them all to get the full payoff i.e. emotional attachment to characters etc?

I definitely wouldn't skip Season 2. It's pretty solid. It's just the first season that's kind of slow.

Maybe start from the last episode of Season 1. That way you'll understand how they got to where they are at the beginning of Season 2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom