The TV Series discussion thread

Aye, the score has been excellent so far for Fallout, though I've not heard one signature song that I was expecting. Maybe I need to view another episode tonight!

I finished watching the second episode of Fallout, and while it's alright as a show (Walton Goggins is indeed probably the best part of it), it suffers from the exact things the later Fallout games suffer from (even Fallout 2 went a bit too far in my mind, but nothing compared to 3,4,76).
The wacky and unseriousness of the mood and characters. It feels like it's way easier to just fall on taking a wacky and outrageous approach than to do something serious. And I just can't attach myself or take that very seriously.
I can maybe enjoy it from a distance and take it for what it is, but I can't deeply attach myself to it, like I attach to other post-apocalyptic media: Last of Us, Fallout 1, Stalker, The Road, etc.

Some people on twitter were comparing the later Fallouts to Dr. Strangelove. But I really can't see it. It's been ages since I played Fallout 3 (that's the one I got furthest into, but haven't actually finished) and it never gave me the impression of serious satire like Dr. Strangelove is. It just felt uninspired wackyness from a developer that can't do better.

Back onto the show, I do find it interesting about the most notable actors:
The two most notable actors, aside from Walton Goggins, have been killed/taken off-screen in the first 2 episodes: Michael Emerson and Kyle MacLachlan.
Oh and I lolled at Michael Rappaport as the Knight Titus.

Last edited:
I finished watching the second season of Fallout
I assume you meant to say second "episode' there. I just finished watching it myself.

I thought it was all over the place. Some scenes were pretty good while other scenes just came off as campy and low-budget to me.

The highlight though was the revelation of who Titus was. Pretty slick move by the producers there. He's not even listed in the cast when you Google it which I'm pretty sure was intentional.

The little town they were in towards the end reminded me a lot of Megaton from FO3. I'm guessing that's what inspired the design there.

I saw the third episode of Fallout. It was ok. The same kind of wacky shenanigans as were seen in episode 2.
It's entertaining enough to watch, but I'm not the least bit attached to the story or characters.

The mention of the vault water-chip being destroyed, probably as a gag as I can't imagine that'll also take any importance, felt kinda condescending.
Like, fan-service of the cheapest value. There's just too many nods to things from the games. Like they can't make it their own.

At least so far, as much as I found the Last of Us tv series to be not very impressive due to knowing everything in too greater detail, I still can't see how some people are saying this is a better show than Last of Us.
There are moments in the Fallout show that I do like, and honestly most of the ones I enjoy seem to be in the flashbacks.

EDIT: interestingly, the show does kind of make me want to go back and finish Fallout 2. I never got very far into that one.
The music especially keeps tugging at my heart strings. It's interesting how something so obviously manipulative works so well.

Last edited:
I haven't started FO yet. I'm finishing another French series, Anthracite, which is OK-ish.

I also tried the film The Gentlemen for a 2nd time, just out of curiosity after watching the series, but I didn't like it more than before and stopped after 20 minutes or so.

I've also checked out the second episode of Fallout and yeah, it's all over the place with how characters react/comport themselves plus some of the lore seems altered or I'm mis-remembering things. Goggins is the best thing so far and too little of Kyle, imo. I'm not giving up on it yet, though.

I've watched episode 4 of Fallout, and it's the first one I truly enjoyed in its entirety. If it keeps this up and the ridiculousness to a minimum it has a chance to be good.
I hope I like it as much as you did. I'm forcing my way through Ep 3 right now, and it's not easy...

I hope I like it as much as you did. I'm forcing my way through Ep 3 right now, and it's not easy...
Episode 5 was also enjoyable. Seems that as long as they stay away from the wacky stuff and stick to the central story it's actually a good watch.
Also, Norm MacLean is slowly but surely becoming one of my favorite character.

I'm also watching Elsbeth and the third episode takes a break from laying out the crime beforehand, at least partially. You know who did it, yet you need to figure out with the police what exactly happened and how. This is much more preferred by me, and I hope the following episodes follow in this vein.

Saw episode 2 last night with the fam. I enjoyed it, except for the silly slapstick jetpacking shenanigans at the end.
That's the only thing I've seen so far that I've frowned at. Less of that, please.
Other than that, the tone and humour have been fine, to me.

I went back to 3 Body Problem tonight and watched episode 6. I still want to see how the season ends despite not having enjoyed it as much as I hoped. The 6th episode was just as absurd as the previous ones if not more so.

Thomas Wade wants to send a probe to meet the approaching San-Ti fleet, and time is of the essence. So what do they come up with? The probe will have a "radiation sail", and they're going to power it by placing 1000 nuclear devices in a line extending away from earth that will detonate as the probe passes them thus accelerating it to 1% the speed of light.

1712982076934.jpeg

It's interesting, IGN has a poll for what game franchise should be the next made into a show. Mass Effect is the runaway favorite. *fingers crossed*
That would be too cool for sure, but I would love to see a big budget movie production for Mass Effect, a triolgy of movies like they did with Lord of the Rings...

I went back to American Rust last night, up to the seventh episode now on the first series and the story keeps getting better, though with a bit of angst tossed in as well. I might do an episode of Fallout tonight.

Back
Top Bottom