Broken Roads - Review @ TBL

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Turn Based Lovers reviewed Broken Roads:

BROKEN ROADS - REVIEW

Broken Roads has been awaited by fans as a post-apocalyptic CRPG in the vein of classic Fallout. Now that it's here, the game may not be quite as deep as players were hoping, but there's a beauty in its simplicity that makes it a memorable experience regardless.

A POST-APOCALYPTIC OUTBACK

Broken Roads takes place in Western Australia, some four generations after a nuclear war. The devastated world is less Fallout and more The Walking Dead, with survivors banding together in tight-knit communities or turning to banditry to survive. A feeling of tribalism and distrust pervades the setting since resources are scarce due to a fifteen-year drought, and anyone could be a spy or a thief.

At first, the world seems fairly grounded in reality, but some supernatural elements slowly start to creep in. A few hours later, characters with strange powers are introduced - not necessarily magic, but close enough for that to be the best term for it. Learning this power for yourself adds new builds and options in combat. There are also mutated animals roaming the Outback, from bloodthirsty dingoes to ravenous koalas and kangaroos.

The Australian setting is always front and center, and Broken Roads is clearly made by people who love their country and culture deeply and can poke fun at it. There are even tooltips to translate Australian slang for players who don't hail from the Land Down Under.

[...]

The tree of possible outcomes isn't anything revolutionary, and in most cases, boils down to whether you want to complete a quest this way or that way, but it's executed well enough that consequences down the line feel organic. That's really in keeping with Broken Roads as a whole; it doesn't do anything that's really new, but it also doesn't try to overcomplicate things or reinvent the wheel. It's not the second coming of Fallout 2, but rather a fun, contemplative RPG that's more compelling in the quiet moments than in the midst of battle.
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

I am a couple hours in and enjoying the game. If you are looking for old fallout this is not it. But the setting and some of the writing is very good,,Imo

i am shattered by all the reviews, was so looking forward to this game. Still gonna try it, perhaps it aint that bad.

Last edited:
Good to hear it might not be a complete total loss. If patches can get it up to an "average" game I will give it a shot. Still, most of the reviews I have read so far are generally negative.

Back
Top Bottom