Fallout Fallout Travel Logs

I screwed up the Modoc and Ghost farm quest, and they killed each other while I was away searching for Karl the farmer.
But before that I had found Karl, but couldn't understand why I could get him to come back home, so that the people in Modoc wouldn't attack the people under the Ghost farm.
I guess I'm missing something, because the guides say that I should be able to tell him the people of Modoc want him back. But god knows what I'm missing. And I had 30 days to find out, and didn't.
I guess that's it for that community. :(

I've reached the Gecko town, just to the north of Vault City and got myself into some weird quest of needing to share some economic data with Vault City, in order to help an underground cult lead by a talking mole rat.
While the game is still decent, I do find Fallout 2 to be a lot more wacky and unserious. Like they decided to not take themselves that seriously in this sequel. Fallout 1 felt a bit different and it really took itself seriously. And I very much appreciated that.

I liked the nice touch of meeting a ghoul that was apparently present back in Fallout 1, when I saved the Necropolis's water supply.

I'm curious, what's been the overall opinion on Fallout 1 vs Fallout 2? Which one's the more appreciated one?
Is it a case like with Gothic 1/2, where while 2 expanded considerably on the world and content, there's still a good crowd appreciating the first one more? I'm personally in that crowd, liking Gothic 1 a lot more. At least in terms of story and world.

I can't get a feel for how this turned out for the Fallouts. Which one was the more crowd pleaser? I assume the first one surely had and still has its diehard fans.

Man these rpgs are absolutely brutal. I’m trying to get into Vault City, and was hoping Vic the trader would help with that. So I paid 1000 dollars for his release. Only to find out I simply gained a follower that also wants to get into VC, but with no real option himself.

So I’m back to Wallace’s quest of searching for some raiders to get a day pass. Raiders which I’m pretty sure Wallace said were to the north west of VC. Well after doing circles across all north cells on the map, and not finding anything I checked a guide. And apparently the raiders are to the south, not thr north. Dammit!

I’m pretty sure it said north. Good thing the journal tracked that. No wait, it didn’t. The one main quest I’d’ve loved tracking doesn’t.

Nevermind that apparently an even easier way to get is in, according to the guide, stripping down to the Vault suit I started the game in, and completely forgotten about that. Brutal :(

I'm curious, what's been the overall opinion on Fallout 1 vs Fallout 2? Which one's the more appreciated one?
Is it a case like with Gothic 1/2, where while 2 expanded considerably on the world and content, there's still a good crowd appreciating the first one more? I'm personally in that crowd, liking Gothic 1 a lot more. At least in terms of story and world.

I can't get a feel for how this turned out for the Fallouts. Which one was the more crowd pleaser? I assume the first one surely had and still has its diehard fans.
Personally, I liked FO1 more. I remember FO2 being buggier, and I didn't care much for the aforementioned wackiness which is more present in the sequel.

I don't think Gothic 1/2 is a good comparison. Some fans prefer Gothic 1 because they played it first, but Gothic 2 is objectively better in a lot of ways. I don't think FO2 is an improvement over FO1. It's just bigger.

Bigger and with a lot more curated content, like quests and whatnot. There's considerably more quests especially. I was actually surprised how light Fallout 1 was on just random quests, at least in terms of numbers.
I can't say the quality of the ones in Fallout 2 is significantly better, but there are a lot of them, comparably. And I love the random NPCs you find that are somehow related to the world and plot of Fallout 1.
I found some super mutants that speak of the Master. Found a ghoul that's apparently the son of Set, who ruled Necropolis. And a few others. Sure, they might be cheap nostalgia pulls, but I like it. It makes it feel like a unified world.

Yeah, in terms of systems and gameplay, I can't say I noticed any significant improvement. Maybe the "collect all" button when looting.

I do like the increased number of towns and dedicated locations on the map. And some of them not even important hubs or anything.
But aside from the numbers, I've really not seen anything as amazing as the Glow. That's probably the moodyest and creepy location ever.

Speaking of locations, I had a really weird interaction with the only Brotherhood knight I saw so far, in the Den I believe it was.
He was out in front of what seemed like the entrance to a BoS underground vault. But it really felt weird that it's in the middle of a town of illegality.
Anyway, the weird thing was that he talked like he knew who I was. I hope that ties into something, otherwise it was a really weird interaction.

And I love the random NPCs you find that are somehow related to the world and plot of Fallout 1.
I found some super mutants that speak of the Master. Found a ghoul that's apparently the son of Set, who ruled Necropolis. And a few others. Sure, they might be cheap nostalgia pulls, but I like it. It makes it feel like a unified world.
I also really liked some of the random encounters too even though some of them are silly.

There's the crashed UFO. I think that was actually in FO1. Then there's one where you find a police box that looks like the Tardis from Doctor Who. There's one with a bridge that's a reference to Monty Python. There's also one with a giant claw print that I think is a Godzilla reference.

There's probably a bunch more I'm forgetting.

Back
Top Bottom