Hellgate London - Successor announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IGN reports that a successor of Hellgate London is in the works:

17 Years Later, Hellgate: London Makes Surprise Return With New Game From Original Developer Bloody hell.

Remember Hellgate: London? The dark fantasy action role-playing game came out in 2007 for PC, a year before developer Flagship Studios went bankrupt. Since then, various free-to-play and online revivals have come and gone. Now, 17 years after the release of Hellgate: London, it's back.

Hellgate: London chief creator Bill Roper, via his new studio Lunacy Games, has signed a licensing agreement with HanbitSoft (HanbitSoft acquired the rights to the Hellgate franchise from Namco Bandai in 2020) to create a new AAA Hellgate game, codenamed Hellgate: Redemption. It's due out at some point for console and PC, and is set in an as-of-yet undisclosed part of the alternate-history, demon-apocalypse world.

"I've dreamed of returning to the franchise we created back in 2007 for many, many years," Roper said. "I've always felt I had unfinished business with the Hellgate IP, which is why our codename for the project is Hellgate: Redemption."

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Glad to hear this, I really enjoyed the Hellgate universe, read all the novels that were released at that time. The battle between humanity using their Tech vs demons invading the world I loved. Played for years using the mods at Hellgate Revival site.
Super pumped..

I liked the original game, especially the gameplay, but whoever did the writing was high on something. The text and a lot of the voice acting is at least half gibbirish and is supposed to be funny, which contrasts with the extremely dark setting. Its jarring.

Was an amazing setting and potential for great first-person Diablo gameplay when such games were still isometric... and the promise about ended there. The NPC dialogue was atrocious and the class skills were incredibly bland and boring to use. Bill Roper truly squandered his credibility on this launch; the only Collectors Edition I ever resold on Ebay out of dissatisfaction.

Triple A??? Who is funding this?

Heh I thought the first game never really got finished so was surprised a sequel is coming out. Think it was the bankruptcy that made me think that. Like it came out sort of half-done when released. It was a cool idea and setting. Maybe this time they can do a better job with it.

The original was a cool spin on the genre. I was surprised it didn't do better. Hopefully this studio has more success.

If I recall, the original was a complete mess on release, and the single player aspect was really restricted and the multiplayer highly flawed ... and it took a couple of massive patches and many months to get into a reasonable state.

Personally I had a bunch of fun playing it as single player, but my understanding was it hemorrhaged money.

Probably only person here but i never liked the game. I purchased it from somewhere - i think one of those download thingy that eventually went out of business (in the early days steam was not the only option); anyway i no longer have access to the game but never had a desire to play it again - as i note i'm in the minority but i prefered diablo ii by a wide margin at the time. Of course around the same time i got titan quest and that was the game that grabbed me when it came to hack and slash.

Of course around the same time i got titan quest and that was the game that grabbed me when it came to hack and slash.
I'd absolutely choose Titan Quest 100/100 times! Haven't even looked to see if I still own Hellgate somewhere I can access in more than a decade, so ... :D

I was so hyped for this game back then and was utterly dissapointed when i finally got to play it. The gameplay and animations were so dull and the gameplay systems were not interesting enough for me.

To me the issue with Hellgate London is that I always viewed it as a shooter, and that's a type of game I've never been interested on. I had the same issue with games like Bioshock and other so-called "RPGs" that were really shooters. It's not that they weren't good games, I just never gave them a chance because I always had something more interesting to do.

If this new game is indeed coming out, I'll give it a chance. Games like Borderlands, Remnant or Returnal proved to me that I can enjoy a "RPG shooter" if it's well done.

Back
Top Bottom