RIP Gordon Moore

RIP Moore, another legend...

He observed, in the 1965 article, that thanks to technological improvements the number of transistors on microchips had roughly doubled every year since integrated circuits were invented a few years earlier.

That's only the half of it. ;) Since there was very little hindsight, he later revised his estimation to 2 years. I still have this old article and a later interview (see p. 5).

EDIT: removed the annoying PDF highlighting.

Attachments

• gordon_moore_1965_article.pdf
    659.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder if these current times are as or less likely to produce intellects the like of which the first half of the twentieth century birthed.

Every time I see some lass or bloke stumbling around with a screen in their face I'm simply amazed they managed to get out of bed. We, as a species, seem to be rapidly devolving.

Nah, that's what adults have said in different ways about youth since forever. A Cambridge University dissertation from 1907 by Kenneth John Freeman claimed this about how youth were described in ancient greek (600-300 BC) texts:
The counts of the indictment are luxury, bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect to elders, and a love for chatter in place of exercise. …
Children began to be the tyrants, not the slaves, of their households. They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room; they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up the dainties at table, and committed various offences against Hellenic tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the paidagogoi and schoolmasters.

This has wrongly been credited to Platon or Socrates, (which I also believed until I just now looked it up :p ).

Every generation will have people ranging from brilliant to intellectually disabled, from extremely hard working to extremely laid back, from very lucky to very unlucky. Most end up in the middle.

If we survive as a species we will get more geniuses eventually. I think we as human beings tend to think that now is the peak of human existence, and as we get older the time of our youth was. But little evidence exists for that. :)

Rest in peace Gordon Moore. We all die and hopefully we've done some good for the people around us before that time.

Edit: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01/misbehave/

Recently I wondered whether Moore's Law could be applied to the hunger for current of PC machines as well ... ?

Back
Top Bottom