Fallout 4 Utterly useless perks

That's like studying Fukushima - which was a leak.
Fallout didn't happen because plants' malfunction.

They should study Hiroshima/Nagasaki where actual bombs were used.

"During the Chernobyl disaster four hundred times more radioactive material was released than at the atomic bombing of Hiroshima"

Radioactive half-life of the bombs of WWII are insignificant in comparison. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are flourishing cities again only 75 years later. I've also noticed a distinct lack of trash lying around in those areas too. It must just be us lazy Americans that can't pick up after themselves for 200 years. :D

I'd hate to see Pete Hines and Todd Howard's homes. They must think it is really tough to clean and not worth the effort.

"During the Chernobyl disaster four hundred times more radioactive material was released than at the atomic bombing of Hiroshima"
Yea yea, sure, oranges and apples are the same thing.

It's like telling me if two particles collide when each travels half light speed, it's the same as if one particle with full light speed bumps onto a static object.
I mean, if that's so, dunno why don't we experiment with that instead of trying to get particles to lightspeed.

As for trash… I remember JDR mentioning some job in a city that looks like it escaped from Fallout.

Funny as me and a friend were just debating this off-topic subject of realism in FO4. My stance is that applying realism to this game doesn't hold up. It isn't a war game-simulator or FPS combat game. This is like a Science-Fiction/Fantasy B-Movie game. It has a set of some rules to hold things together combined with dark humor and over-the-top setups. Just so many things that don't make any sense as far as realism. On the other hand it does have lore and its own set of rules that it follows - which I think is the key thing for most any game of this nature, including fantasy games.

Above and beyond game mechanic needs (like carrying way more things than possible or the fact that you can build amazing devices in a matter of seconds) there are plenty of things in the game that have no place in reality.

Funny as the topic that brought this up with my friend was also the aqua-boy perk which my character has. I simply added it to his bio as:

Wolf and Dogmeat headed to the beach this weekend. After cleaning up some Raiders who had taken over the main strip they swam across the bay to do some investigative work. The water posed little problem for Wolf. Born with a strange mutation, that had earned him the nick-name of "aqua-boy" at the orphanage, he could breath underwater and ignore the effects of water based radiation.

What actually bothers me more than the sudden ability to breath underwater (which in the above case I just assumed he always had) is the avoidance of radiation. Why can you now avoid radiation in water but not on land? How is that different? Guess something to do with the mutation that is able to filter it from the water but not air.

We both came up with a list of reasons on how the perk could work though. Considering how quickly things evolved, and some of the fantasy-science in the game, could say you were experimented on by a scientist and got the ability to breath underwater; you got a cybernetic implant that lets you breath underwater; you were exposed to strong gamma rays while out in the wasteland and got this mutated; you got infected by a Mirelurk which granted you the ability; and so on.

I agree its silly but no more or less than many other things (a lot of the perks give you sudden abilities that can seem odd). For me it was simply coming up with a "plausible" explanation for getting it - where plausible means it just has to fit within the rules and lore of the setting - which I think any of the above does just fine.

Last edited:
I agree its silly but no more or less than many other things (a lot of the perks give you sudden abilities that can seem odd). For me it was simply coming up with a "plausible" explanation for getting it - where plausible means it just has to fit within the rules and lore of the setting - which I think any of the above does just fine.

I think that's a good way of looking at it. When people say "realistic" in regards to a video game, I'm pretty sure most of them don't mean realistic in a real world way. Plausibility within the setting though is perfectly reasonable.

Most of the perks in FO4 are more or less plausible. The lone survivor is going to get better at things like lockpicking, sneaking, proficiency with certain weapons, etc.

There are just a few that take a little more imagination to make them plausible. :)

Radioactive half-life of the bombs of WWII are insignificant in comparison. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are flourishing cities again only 75 years later. I've also noticed a distinct lack of trash lying around in those areas too. It must just be us lazy Americans that can't pick up after themselves for 200 years. :D

I'd hate to see Pete Hines and Todd Howard's homes. They must think it is really tough to clean and not worth the effort.

They've also had the manpower to clean up the radioactivity. Not so in the Fallout universe.

Back
Top Bottom