RPGWatch Forums
Page 12 of 29 « First 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 Last »

RPGWatch Forums (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pathfinder: Kingmaker (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40946)

Maylander November 20th, 2018 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleblob (Post 1061541652)
Question for those who finished the game (guess it's just @Maylander at this point?)

Spoiler

Spoiler

ChatMiauleur November 20th, 2018 11:21

This timer thing is really worrying on a first attempt. I have cleaned the floor with that gnome, given back some temple, and revealed the sweet home of this one with the antlers but still I am looking at the map and I am itching to explore it.
But..But .. 46 days remaining and my group loves its rest. Each time one of them requests a rest I am like "another one? you lazy bastard. How many times do you need to sleep? Once by day? You lazy bastard." Crossing the map I know is easily 3-4 days including the rests.

My char is LN but I am turning CE. So do I try to explore the map a bit more? But if I have not enough days to complete the main quest I will be unable to return to so many days back.. I guess than when you have done it once it may look easy to manage.

I having a huge fun with that game, but that timer thing is not for me.

Maylander November 20th, 2018 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChatMiauleur (Post 1061541711)
This timer thing is really worrying on a first attempt. I have cleaned the floor with that gnome, given back some temple, and revealed the sweet home of this one with the antlers but still I am looking at the map and I am itching to explore it.
But..But .. 46 days remaining and my group loves its rest. Each time one of them requests a rest I am like "another one? you lazy bastard. How many times do you need to sleep? Once by day? You lazy bastard." Crossing the map I know is easily 3-4 days including the rests.

My char is LN but I am turning CE. So do I try to explore the map a bit more? But if I have not enough days to complete the main quest I will be unable to return to so many days back.. I guess than when you have done it once it may look easy to manage.

I having a huge fun with that game, but that timer thing is not for me.

When it comes to the main quest timers, just be near the capital in its final 10 days or so. You'll get a new timer for the next chapter that is more comfortable, which means you'll have more time to explore.

ChatMiauleur November 20th, 2018 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maylander (Post 1061541722)
When it comes to the main quest timers, just be near the capital in its final 10 days or so. You'll get a new timer for the next chapter that is more comfortable, which means you'll have more time to explore.

Oh, I see what you mean. But my striving Capital is currently Oleg the RestingPlace (Pop 4) up there in the north of the map and it is, for what I know, the only place you can rest or unload your loot at the beginning of the game.
In many games when you kill the main zone boss, you move to another place and returning is often unnecessary or not possible. To see all those nodes I have still to visit and not have the time to is really something I plainly hate.

So maybe someone who has done that part knows you can return or knows it is not necessary or another option but on a first attempt it feels needlessly stressful. You just have the impression you maybe missed something which could be vital or just the fun of exploring. Cleaning up Mesa and the Oak took 15 days away.

Well that is the only thing I am complaining about, since 1.1 even loading screens are less a hassle and the game is really great.

Maylander November 20th, 2018 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChatMiauleur (Post 1061541727)
Oh, I see what you mean. But my striving Capital is currently Oleg the RestingPlace (Pop 4) up there in the north of the map and it is, for what I know, the only place you can rest or unload your loot at the beginning of the game.
In many games when you kill the main zone boss, you move to another place and returning is often unnecessary or not possible. To see all those nodes I have still to visit and not have the time to is really something I plainly hate.

So maybe someone who has done that part knows you can return or knows it is not necessary or another option but on a first attempt it feels needlessly stressful. You just have the impression you maybe missed something which could be vital or just the fun of exploring. Cleaning up Mesa and the Oak took 15 days away.

Well that is the only thing I am complaining about, since 1.1 even loading screens are less a hassle and the game is really great.

Oh, I see! I know roughly where you're at in the game now. I recommend always bringing at least one Cleric, to cut down the need for resting. Also, the part of the map that can be explored at this point in the game is actually quite limited, and you've probably done most of it.

At any rate, you really do need to take care of the Stag Lord within that timer, but it's actually a fairly short quest once you know his location. It's also worth keeping in mind that after you deal with him, you can spend the rest of the time exploring, before handing in the quest at Oleg's Trading Post. Just remember to hand it in before it expires. :)

That being said, I'm not a fan of the timers either.

Archangel November 20th, 2018 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChatMiauleur (Post 1061541727)

Yes you need a cleric to heal your party during rests. You need someone with good Lore Nature to act as your hunting guy or hunting makes resting take way too long (if you don't have that guy, you need to bring lots of rations for your adventures).

Also note that your total party encumbrance makes overland travel slower (you can see this when you mouse over your party encumbrance bar). Your party tires faster and starts complaining sooner. Drop all the loot that is heavy but worth little, don't carry it back to Oleg. My rule of thumb in your part of the game was that loot needs to be at least worth 1 gp for each 1 weight measurement. And If I am close to max then at least 2 gp for 1.

And as Maylander suggested, finish off Stag Lord and then use what time is left to explore what is left. Just make sure you are close enough to Oleg before time runs out (you talk to him when you are ready to go back and report success).

ChatMiauleur November 20th, 2018 14:53

Thanks for all those tips, that is appreciated.

purpleblob November 20th, 2018 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maylander (Post 1061541701)
Spoiler

Wow… Damn I missed this one in my last run, guess next time I will definitely make sure I finish Amiri's personal quest.

Carnifex November 20th, 2018 15:48

I can speak from at least where I stopped playing the game in chapter two, having both a cleric and paladin in the group really cut down on my rest times. It makes a huge difference, and I suspect that when I get back to the game, I'll maintain those two healers in the group. It really helps with the timers versus resting choices you wind up facing.

TheRealFluent November 20th, 2018 18:54

Clerics are well and good, but if you want to use any of their spells other than Cure spells (which you will), then they're not the greatest option for healing. The best way to cut down time on resting in my experience is scrolls and potions. Scrolls of Cure *whatever* are cheap and you can carry a bunch, while the game gives you plenty of potions. What I do is, use that stuff and supplement the Cleric healing in with it, such as using his Channel Energy but also keeping characters in top shape with scrolls and potions. That really helps and when the Cleric is out of spells you can still squeeze some time out before resting, although generally you should rest when out of spells (just save some Cleric spells this way). I know it sounds hard to explain but it works well when you get the hang of it, scrolls + potions + spells until it's time to rest. :)

TheRealFluent November 20th, 2018 19:14

Any tips for Act 4 near the end?
Spoiler

They seem tough and I feel I'm so close to the end!

Edit - Nevermind, beat it. :) This dungeon is nuts though, lol. It just keeps going and going.

Edit 2 - I am super impressed with this dungeon! It's the most epic and wild place I've been yet, and it just keeps getting more interesting. Question though -
Spoiler

TheRealFluent November 20th, 2018 23:08

And to those worried about exploring, the game gives you plenty of time to explore the map in each chapter. Don't worry, you'll end up exploring the whole map. I'm in Act 4 and have pretty much cleared the entire visible map so far (that I'm allowed to, some areas are chapter restricted) and still have a month or so to beat the main quest of Act 4 and I'm at the end of it already. So as long as you somewhat manage your rest the timers are not really a major factor, they're lenient once you know what you're doing.

purpleblob November 20th, 2018 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealFluent (Post 1061541775)
Any tips for Act 4 near the end?
Spoiler

They seem tough and I feel I'm so close to the end!

Edit - Nevermind, beat it. :) This dungeon is nuts though, lol. It just keeps going and going.

Edit 2 - I am super impressed with this dungeon! It's the most epic and wild place I've been yet, and it just keeps getting more interesting. Question though -
Spoiler

Spoiler

TheRealFluent November 20th, 2018 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleblob (Post 1061541807)
Spoiler

Spoiler

purpleblob November 20th, 2018 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealFluent (Post 1061541813)
Spoiler

Make sure you cast protection from cold, draw them back to narrow door way (the way you came in), have melees tank/dps there, while you provided range, heal and buff support in the corridor.

TheRealFluent November 20th, 2018 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleblob (Post 1061541815)
Make sure you cast protection from cold, draw them back to narrow door way (the way you came in), have melees tank/dps there, while you provided range, heal and buff support in the corridor.

Didn't think of protection from cold, thanks! :)

TheRealFluent November 21st, 2018 01:44

Protection from cold was the ticket. :) Man, I did not see any of that coming! Finished Act 4 and it was a doozy. Time to head back to the capital to take a breather, or not…:)

purpleblob November 21st, 2018 04:42

You won't be able to take a breath… lol. It's the busiest chapter transition.

I'm trying to roll a new character but just can't decided on what class. It may sounds silly, but I usually try to match the portrait to class and I just can't find anything I like. My latest find is this, but it looks too… mmm… weak and angel-y.

https://i.imgur.com/f4FY6WC.png

TheRealFluent November 21st, 2018 04:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleblob (Post 1061541867)
You won't be able to take a breath… lol. It's the busiest chapter transition.

I'm trying to roll a new character but just can't decided on what class. It may sounds silly, but I usually try to match the portrait to class and I just can't find anything I like. My latest find is this, but it looks too… mmm… weak and angel-y.

https://i.imgur.com/f4FY6WC.png

Beautiful portrait, though. Aasimar Aldori Defender. :)

purpleblob November 21st, 2018 04:57

I just realised all my characters are practically blonde haired and look similar to one another LOL. The one I just posted look real similar to my avarta
<---------------------

And I played Kingmaker through using this one below:
https://i.imgur.com/pVVBcPu.png

TheRealFluent November 21st, 2018 05:01

Yep, you always pick very beautiful chicks. :wideeyed: I would say maybe the angelic-looking one could also be a Magus - sword in one hand and some magic in the other. I heard there's a lot of micromanagement with that class though but I wouldn't know, I hardly use Regongar. You could be the first here to really master the Magus class and let us know how it is! :)

purpleblob November 21st, 2018 05:25

Decided on Aasimar empyreal sorceress lol. Oh, I'm going to get smashed in early games lol

TheRealFluent November 21st, 2018 05:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleblob (Post 1061541880)
Decided on Aasimar empyreal sorceress lol. Oh, I'm going to get smashed in early games lol

Nice. I'm not familiar with that class but it sounds cool, lol. Good luck!

purpleblob November 21st, 2018 05:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealFluent (Post 1061541881)
Nice. I'm not familiar with that class but it sounds cool, lol. Good luck!

Oh, me neither. But it sounded like something between sorcerer and cleric/paladin - seems to utilise WIS rather than CHA for spells, and has some holy powers, thought it's a good fit for my Aasimar :D It will be tough though, I have to have decent amount of WIS (spells), CHA (persuasion), and INT (arcana knowledge check). I may regret this lol.

Did some reading and I'm still tossing between:
Paladin 1/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight 10
Sorcerer 4/Cleric of your deity 3/Mystic Theurge 10

I think both sounds really fun! :D

TheRealFluent November 21st, 2018 06:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleblob (Post 1061541888)
Oh, me neither. But it sounded like something between sorcerer and cleric/paladin - seems to utilise WIS rather than CHA for spells, and has some holy powers, thought it's a good fit for my Aasimar :D It will be tough though, I have to have decent amount of WIS (spells), CHA (persuasion), and INT (arcana knowledge check). I may regret this lol.

Sounds great! I have no idea what Eldritch Knight or Mystic Theurge are about, lol. Definitely sounds like interesting builds no matter which way you go, though.

Charna November 21st, 2018 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleblob (Post 1061541888)

The problem with mystic theurges is the slow spell level progression; they are basically lagging behind everyone. Imo a pure sorceress will do much better, though I was planning on making mine a dwarf. They also get a bonus to wisdom, and a dwarven sorceress is unusual enough to be interesting. ;-)

Also, I think empyreals get lore religion as a class skill? So you could use them for this, and give knowledge arcana to someone else.

Maylander November 21st, 2018 11:05

Eldritch Knight: Battle mage. They miss 1x level of spell casting (their first level), and then gain full spell casting after that, in addition to good BAB and feat progression.

Theurge: Divine + Arcane caster. They gain spell levels as if they're progressing both at the same time.

If you're going for the latter, the Empyreal Sorcerer is indeed the right class to pick because it uses Wisdom as its main casting stat. Combine that with a Cleric, who also uses Wisdom, and you focus almost entirely on that.

If you're going for an Eldritch Knight, I would re-consider the spreading of your stats, as you will need decent Constitution + either Dexterity (Weapon Finesse) or Strength, or you will never be able to actually hit anything.

Edit: It is also worth keeping in mind that both of these options mainly gain power from mid-to-high levels.

purpleblob November 21st, 2018 11:42

Yeah I realised I probably shouldn't go with the EK route with empyreal. That's ok, I just really feel like playing with this character as RP purpose, don't mind lowering difficulty at time if I struggle too much.

Thinking of rolling another class for normal difficulty or higher run, but I just can't RP evil or lawful character which does kinda restrict my choice :/

Archangel November 21st, 2018 13:01

I made a LotR party and my Gandalf is an Aasimar empyreal sorcerer. Not a very powerful Sorcerer version but he got Bless as a bonus spell which is useful, my party Cleric can equip other lvl 1 spells.
But the healing abilities are not very useful. Cool thing is that he gets natural SR at higher levels making him very resistant to enemy spells.

purpleblob November 21st, 2018 13:20

Empyreal definitely sounds better as support, I'm a little worried how I will fare at one on one combat situations like soul eaters in Vordakai's tomb lol.

Maylander November 21st, 2018 13:30

I played a (plain) Sorcerer now, and it was mostly fine. Just keep a metamagic wand of empowering or maximizing ready and use the three charges for the highest level damage spells you can cast at the time.

Archangel November 21st, 2018 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleblob (Post 1061541923)
Empyreal definitely sounds better as support, I'm a little worried how I will fare at one on one combat situations like soul eaters in Vordakai's tomb lol.

They are very slow. Just Haste yourself and kite them.

Morrandir November 21st, 2018 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maylander (Post 1061541926)
I played a (plain) Sorcerer now, and it was mostly fine.

Same here. In my current (first) playthrough I'm a plain human sorcerer. The soul eaters weren't a major problem (2 or 3 reloads).

Quote:

Just keep a metamagic wand of empowering or maximizing ready and use the three charges for the highest level damage spells you can cast at the time.
I haven't used rods til now. Can they somehow be recharged?

Maylander November 21st, 2018 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrandir (Post 1061541938)
Same here. In my current (first) playthrough I'm a plain human sorcerer. The soul eaters weren't a major problem (2 or 3 reloads).

I haven't used rods til now. Can they somehow be recharged?

There are two types of rods: Rods with specific spells or with feats/abilities. The latter actually don't run out. They typically have X charges per day, and then they recharge. They are very powerful. Some even offer permanent armor class, damage buffs, +enchant to arrows etc, but only if you first equip them, and then activate them via belt or ability use.

Morrandir November 21st, 2018 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maylander (Post 1061541952)
The latter actually don't run out. They typically have X charges per day, and then they recharge. They are very powerful.

Dude, that's a deal breaker! I have tons of metamagic rods which I'm sure will come in handy in Chapter 6. :D

ChatMiauleur November 21st, 2018 15:27

Are you using the default companions or do you group with some mercenary?

Getting a hang bit by bit on the system I am really underwhelmed by most of them. I would have preferred to use mercenaries on a pure efficient side but I did not want to loose their quests/stories.

Morrandir November 21st, 2018 15:36

I'm playing with default companions:
MC: Human, 17 Sorcerer (Gold Dragon bloodline)
Valerie: 7 Fighter / 10 Stalwart Defender
Harrim: 17 Cleric
Amiri: 17 Barbarian
Octavia: 1 Rogue / 6 Wizard / 10 Arcane Trickster
Ekundayo: 17 Ranger

(I've realized just now that my sorcerer doesn't get level 9 spells. :( )

If you want to alter the companions there a respec tool on NexusMod. (I just used it to remove a rogue level for Octavia after I had learned that I can get the 2d6 sneak attack prerequisite by selecting a feat.)

Maylander November 21st, 2018 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChatMiauleur (Post 1061541958)
Are you using the default companions or do you group with some mercenary?

Getting a hang bit by bit on the system I am really underwhelmed by most of them. I would have preferred to use mercenaries on a pure efficient side but I did not want to loose their quests/stories.

Mostly played with the default companions the first time I played it. It's entirely possible to see all their side quests despite not bringing them along, however, so all you really miss is a bit of banter.

This time, I'm going with a much more optimized party. Be warned that getting new mercenaries later on costs a ton of gold. They're only cheap in the start.

Charna November 21st, 2018 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleblob (Post 1061541915)
Thinking of rolling another class for normal difficulty or higher run, but I just can't RP evil or lawful character which does kinda restrict my choice :/

It's the opposite for me. As soon as I've read Gyronna's description I knew I have to roll a cleric of The Angry Hag at some point. And now that tieflings are going to be a playable race… :devil:

wolfgrimdark November 21st, 2018 20:39

I have been reading this thread since day one and have picked up more of the story then I new from the first 3 chapters. While not really a tip or trick (well maybe a tip for other developers) one thing I think they did right is the story.

This game shows you can have an engrossing cool story while having a relatively non-liner game with an open-ended player character. They seem to do this by focusing less on the player (who still has a big role as the baron/king and general adventurer) and more on the story of the Stolen Land and some key characters in it.

Think this is a great approach and wish some other games did this more - as it combines, for me at least, some of my favorite game elements - companions, good fun story, freedom to create your own character, and lots to do and explore with fun combat and build options.