RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech Help (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   First GTX 1170 benchmarks (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40342)

SirJames July 24th, 2018 23:34

First GTX 1170 benchmarks
 
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62565…-ti/index.html

If this is legit, and I highly suspect it is because it's in line with the 1070 to 980ti performance comparison, I'd expect 1080ti prices to fall to 1070 price before the 1170 release.

you July 24th, 2018 23:54

dang wonder how much it will cost. I guess the new standard is 4k with the 1170 and dual 4k with the 1180 ?

JDR13 July 25th, 2018 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirJames (Post 1061518129)
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62565…-ti/index.html

If this is legit, and I highly suspect it is because it's in line with the 1070 to 980ti performance comparison, I'd expect 1080ti prices to fall to 1070 price before the 1170 release.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be legit. That is a larger performance difference though than the 1170 vs 980 Ti which were very close.

I've read that the 11xx series is also going to be priced higher than the 10xx series was at launch.

Shagnak July 25th, 2018 00:38

I'm hoping that the old cards tumble in price, because that's the only way I can ever afford something semi-decent :)

Kordanor July 25th, 2018 01:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by you (Post 1061518133)
dang wonder how much it will cost. I guess the new standard is 4k with the 1170 and dual 4k with the 1180 ?

I doubt that. 1440p isn't even used by everyone yet, and even strong cards are still struggling with 4k, depending on what performance you expect. I recommend the benchmarks on pcgamer where you can see that on 4k with max settings you don't get 60 fps on all games yet, even on a gtx 1080 ti.
https://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/

Also be aware that the jump to double 4k would be higher than the one from 1440p to 4k, as 4k is a misleading resolution description.

1920x1080=2073600
2560x1440=3686400
3840x2160=8294400

Wisdom July 25th, 2018 02:49

Love it! I usually skip many generations by buying quality card then a year or so later buying the identical card much cheaper and SLI or Dual it.

Very happy with my 1080 right now. No game I've played has been stressed yet.

you July 25th, 2018 04:05

I wasn't being serious but having said that I could also care less about a constant frame rate of 60 fps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kordanor (Post 1061518146)
I doubt that. 1440p isn't even used by everyone yet, and even strong cards are still struggling with 4k, depending on what performance you expect. I recommend the benchmarks on pcgamer where you can see that on 4k with max settings you don't get 60 fps on all games yet, even on a gtx 1080 ti.
https://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/

Also be aware that the jump to double 4k would be higher than the one from 1440p to 4k, as 4k is a misleading resolution description.

1920x1080=2073600
2560x1440=3686400
3840x2160=8294400


JDR13 July 25th, 2018 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisdom (Post 1061518156)
Love it! I usually skip many generations by buying quality card then a year or so later buying the identical card much cheaper and SLI or Dual it.

Very happy with my 1080 right now. No game I've played has been stressed yet.

Yeah, I'll probably be skipping the 11xx series. I was originally planning on upgrading my 980 Ti when these came out, but that was before it crapped out on me. Since Gigabyte replaced my card with a 1080, I'll probably just keep that until 12xx or whatever series Nvidia does after 11xx.

Darth Tagnan July 25th, 2018 08:39

I'm very happy with my 1080ti - and I don't plan on upgrading for a while.

joxer July 25th, 2018 14:12

Youve finally ditched SLI rubbish?
No wonder fires rage in greece and sweeden after the disastrous flood in japan.

I won't be replacing my series 1070 card with series 11, nothing of interest there for me.

you July 25th, 2018 15:03

I might upgrade my 1070 but it would depend on price and other features. Also I would need a mini card (like my mini-1070) to fit in the case. Those mini cards are kind of nice :)

Ivanwah July 25th, 2018 15:16

These rumors appear every now and then, and I'll just wait until they're out to see how they perform. As for upgrade, I'm quite happy with my 1060, but my i5 2500k is showing its age and is a priority.

you July 25th, 2018 15:33

Ack my 2500k is still doing fine; what games are pegging your cpu ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivanwah (Post 1061518278)
These rumors appear every now and then, and I'll just wait until they're out to see how they perform. As for upgrade, I'm quite happy with my 1060, but my i5 2500k is showing its age and is a priority.


Ivanwah July 25th, 2018 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by you (Post 1061518286)
Ack my 2500k is still doing fine; what games are pegging your cpu ?

It's not the games that are pegging it, it's programs like Photoshop or Premiere that I've noticed need more horsepower. I'm trying to get into video editing a bit more seriously and could benefit from faster rendering time. A newer generation i7 or a Ryzen would be a nice upgrade.
For games I'm quite satisfied with it, if only a bit worried about its age. I have it overclocked, too, and that won't prolong its life. I'm thinking of keeping it as backup since it's still quite capable.

you July 25th, 2018 17:00

Yea it isn't just the processor speed. The newer processors also have additional instructions that help with video processing. In addition to general increase in support they also have beyond that specialize hardware support for h.265. Thankfully I don't use my gaming system for anything but gaming :)


Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivanwah (Post 1061518303)
It's not the games that are pegging it, it's programs like Photoshop or Premiere that I've noticed need more horsepower. I'm trying to get into video editing a bit more seriously and could benefit from faster rendering time. A newer generation i7 or a Ryzen would be a nice upgrade.
For games I'm quite satisfied with it, if only a bit worried about its age. I have it overclocked, too, and that won't prolong its life. I'm thinking of keeping it as backup since it's still quite capable.


Ivanwah July 25th, 2018 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by you (Post 1061518307)
Yea it isn't just the processor speed. The newer processors also have additional instructions that help with video processing. In addition to general increase in support they also have beyond that specialize hardware support for h.265. Thankfully I don't use my gaming system for anything but gaming :)

For now, I can't afford two systems so I have to rely on one being all around decent for any task. But in the future I plan on separating my work and gaming machines.

Ragnaris July 25th, 2018 23:29

Whoa, interesting. I'm planning on continuing my streak of upgrading every other generation. For me that won't be until the 1180 Ti. Still, it's interesting to see some benchmarks at last.

Having said that, I'm absolutely certain it's going to cost $1k or come very close to it. And if not the 1170, then the 1180 Ti will for sure.

SirJames July 26th, 2018 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061518138)
I've read that the 11xx series is also going to be priced higher than the 10xx series was at launch.

This could be the missing piece of the puzzle. I should have mentioned there is a rumour about an August 30 release date for 1180, which seems far too soon for the prices to line up. My guess would have been next year around May, like the 1080, but if cards are being benchmarked now I'm not so sure.

JDR13 July 26th, 2018 00:37

I've read $499 for the 1170 and $699 for the 1180 which would put them around $50 -$100 more than what the 1070 and 1080 were at launch. That's probably the MSRP though meaning that the actual store prices will be slightly higher at first.

SirJames July 26th, 2018 00:55

I suppose August 30 is possible? At least an announcement? Prices have been dropping, for the first time in ages, and people are saying its less crypto miners but the only other option is that stores are getting ready for the new line of cards. Maybe the miners are waiting for them too.

Wisdom July 26th, 2018 02:55

I think over the last 20 years I've realized one very rarely "wins" the price game with technology purchases. I end up just biting the bullet and buying the best deal I can find for the item I've decided on.

you July 26th, 2018 10:20

I almost never buy top of the line items because i figure i can buy the next lower every other generation for the price of the highest. Could never have seen myself buying a 1080 and the 1070 was around $300 when i purchased it. The only reason the 1170 caught my attention is that it is nearly 2x the 1070 and if i can find one for around $300 i might bite but as I said it has to be a mini to fit in my case.

JDR13 July 26th, 2018 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by you (Post 1061518460)
I almost never buy top of the line items because i figure i can buy the next lower every other generation for the price of the highest.

Am I the only one who's confused by that? :)

Darth Tagnan July 26th, 2018 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061518467)
Am I the only one who's confused by that? :)

No :)

But, like Wisdom, I've learned that there really is no ideal time to buy upgrades. It all depends on what you want and how much money you have. Buying now or later is almost always a choice with similar consequences in terms of advantages and disadvantages - as long as you can actually afford it.

SirJames July 26th, 2018 11:20

You can buy the 780ti or wait a year for the 970 or another for the 1060 and get the same performance at a lower price in the form of a "new" card.

Thing is, if you don't buy high end you never get to experience high end. :)

you July 26th, 2018 12:16

What he said; I aim for 'good enough' today because when tomorrow arrives it will just be cheaper to buy the lower end item which is faster than the today's fastest at a lower price than yesterday fastest. However you have to take things with a grain of salt I don't 'game' on tv or large screens. I game on monitors - and I'm not sensitive to fps being 45 or 30 - so I have no desire for 120; screen tearing just doesn't bother me and i just want the fps fast enough that the motion doesn't stutter or hinder game play (after all how many movies run at 60fps or 120fps). Anyway that's just me. It is the same with i5 vs i7; I almost never buy i7 because the perf gain vs the $$ is not cost effective for myself (games are generally not cpu bound). I do realize that some people do compute intensive applications and so it makes sense for them to get an i7. The only area I stay near the top of the curve are ssd since hd are very slow for random access but if you are into moving large chunks of data sequentially then hd are the way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirJames (Post 1061518477)
You can buy the 780ti or wait a year for the 970 or another for the 1060 and get the same performance at a lower price in the form of a "new" card.

Thing is, if you don't buy high end you never get to experience high end. :)


Pladio July 26th, 2018 19:46

Interesting for people in the UK potentially

Eurogamer.net: Nvidia offers free SSDs with GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1060 graphics cards.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d…graphics-cards

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

deltaminds August 19th, 2018 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pladio (Post 1061518613)
Interesting for people in the UK potentially

Eurogamer.net: Nvidia offers free SSDs with GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1060 graphics cards.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d…graphics-cards

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Nice deal to be honest!

joxer August 19th, 2018 12:52

It does look as an awsome deal: "GTX 1060 (6Gb) comes with a 240GB Kingston A400 SSD". Sadly I don't live in UK and don't need a new GPU. :(


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch