Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition - now with Unity

P

pibbur who

This is something some of you might like to know. I think.

MS Visual Studio Community Edition is a full-fledged, single developer (no Team Foundation or enterprise support), free to use version of Visual Studio. The 2017 edition comes with a personal Unity 5.4 license.

I haven't tried it yet. For all I know there are better 3d tools out there. But this one is available without cost and at least to some degree integrated with VS. I haven't checked conditions for use, so there may be clauses limiting how to use it.

So now you know, use it or not. FYI: I'm not prepared to enter a discussion about the quality of VS/Unity, I'm only here for the beer (but it's no secret that I like VS and use it professionally).

pibbur who wishes he was payed by M$ to report this. NOT!

PS. You have to register the package, but no credit card info is required. DS.

If I understood that correctly, Visual Studio remains to be a Windows application that you run on a Windows machine and that you can connect to a Linux machine to do remote builds and debugging on that Linux machine. Sounds a bit like a hassle and I don't really see the benefit. Why not use a Linux IDE to do your development on Linux instead.

The last Visual Studio I intensively used was 2013.

It also has Xamarin built in. I haven't checked yet if its the full Xamarin. The free version before MS bought them out would only let you do very small apps.

Having Unity built in should make C# development smoother, although Unity is really its own thing and there's more buzz these days with Javascript.

I teach using VS because my students are eventually going to run into it. Having an IDE is better than no IDE at all, no matter how many keyboard shortcuts are built into emacs.

If I understood that correctly, Visual Studio remains to be a Windows application that you run on a Windows machine and that you can connect to a Linux machine to do remote builds and debugging on that Linux machine. Sounds a bit like a hassle and I don't really see the benefit. Why not use a Linux IDE to do your development on Linux instead.

The last Visual Studio I intensively used was 2013.

AFAIK, you're right. Personally I would use a Linux environment for Linux. However, I assume that VS for Linux might be useful for cross-platform development(?).

who.pibbur.ToString()

Back
Top Bottom