Wartile - Early Access now available

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The real time strategy RPG Wartile is now available as Early Access version on Steam:

About Wartile

Wartile is a single player and multiplayer real time tabletop inspired game for PC with a strong turn based flavor to it. The game replicates the feeling of playing a tabletop game but with faster, more immediate combat. Each Battle Board is an intricately realised digital diorama complete with tiles that allow players to strategize their tactical moves and attack in real time. Units are fully customizable with armor, weapons and new stat tokens that players can pick up throughout the game by completing special challenges. Stat tokens provide points that players can add to their characters stats which unlock when players level up, stat tokens can be discovered in each of the various Battle Boards in the game. Players can add a tactical edge to their combat by utilizing Ability cards and Godly cards as their figurine gains more experience, and by completing special battle board objectives.Godly cards and abilities can be assembled by the player before engaging in battle and used during combat, these cards can easily change the course of the fight should the odds be stacked against their favor.

Features

• Beautifully crafted diorama Battle Boards, with a true table top feel
  • Take control of miniature figurines with an attitude
  • Assemble your deck of Godly and tactical Cards
  • A new take on strategy – a cooldown system provides a refreshing take on the real time strategy genre
  • Customize your units with weapons, armor & new abilities found throughout the game
  • Expand your collection of figurines & widen your palette of possibilities
  • Venture into the first Viking Campaign rich on Mythology, story and lore
  • Play against friends in quest oriented multiplayer matches or go full competitive
More information.

Last edited:
This is on my watchlist since I first saw it half a year ago. It looks great, but "real-time" and "cooldown" are words I'm a bit allergic to...
Well, we will see.

It's similar to the Warlock of Firetop Mountain, no?

One to keep an eye on, great look to it. Have to see about the cooldown combat, it could work but man if ever a game called for straight turn based combat this looks to be it.

It boggles my mind why you would shoehorn real-time combat into a game like this. Of course, speed chess also boggles my mind. I'll take a pass. You won't see me playing speed chess, either.

Real-time strategy with cool-downs can work - see Spellforce.

But Spellforce is a RTS. This, essentially, is a board game with a turn timer.

The graphics look fantastic! I'd love to see reboots for some old AD&D games done like this! (turn based, of course)

Here is a comment by the devs on the real-time issue raised by many I found on RPS:

Hi guys

Why it’s not turn based seems to be the really big question for a lot of people.

The short answer is that when setting out the direction of Wartile, we did not aim to hit any specific demographic, or game genre. We aimed to create a very special feeling of a miniature world coming to life. Bring back the childhood fantasy of playing with miniature figurines, but use the technology to make the board pieces and figurines react to your actions and thereby bring life into a normally static scenery. We wanted the action to keep going, but maintain the flavor of turn based mechanics. We have spent three years testing and iterating on this game system, and are becoming very satisfied with the result, knowing that we can still improve it in many ways. Wartile can’t really be labeled as one genre or another, its something you have to try, before knowing exactly how it feels to play. it’s just… different.

Maybe take a look at one of the many Let’s plays coming on Youtube to get a first impression. We can suggest this one -> link to youtu.be

Best regards
Michael Rud
Creative director – Wartile

The Let's play give a good impression how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAn0nNn1UQA&feature=youtu.be

My interest rose slightly higher again.

Why not add an active pause? Without it, no thanks.

Why not add an active pause? Without it, no thanks.

That was my first thought. Still, I'm going to keep an eye on this. I don't think it'll be for me (as I am a turn-based addict) but I am intrigued as to whether maybe the system might really work. Props to them for trying I guess. It's an interesting decision. They risk alienating turn based fans and real-time fans with a system that pleases neither - but maybe they're onto something that will appeal to both.

I don't think I'll bother, but I know what you mean. The game, aesthetically, certainly looks good. Ahh, the things we'll do for a pretty face...

Back
Top Bottom