Venetica - Review Flood #2

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The 2nd batch mixes it up a bit more:
  • Magnus.de 5/5 "Very good"
  • GamesWelt.de 68% The author criticises a lot of things. "Fails due to weak technical implementation [...] and acute unimaginativity."
  • Zockon.de 8.7/10
  • FocusOnline video review; good game, a couple of problems
  • AreaGames.de 6/10 no comment on this one
  • OnlineWelten.de 84% "But exactly in its simplicity lies its appeal. You're being told a story you cannot influence, but which has a high entertainment value."
  • GamersGlobal.de 7/10 The author likes is a lot, but he feels he cannot give a higher rating due to the technical problems.
  • A walkthrough can be found at 4Players.de.
More information.

I'm ca. 22 hours in. Impressions so far:

++ focus: story, cinematic story-telling
++ focus: action combat, usually quite dangerous opponents, no cannon fodder
+ weapons / armour more or less useful against the different enemies.
+ the combat system works, although it could have been tweaked a bit
+ big, surprisingly interesting dungeons
++ superb voice acting
+ "change to the afterlife" as a skill adds another layer
++ very strong beginning
+ exceptionally immersive quicktravel mechanism
+ a couple of clever interface solutions
+ few serious bugs

- low performance
- minor clipping errors everywhere
-- No quicksave! The biggest weakness for me!
- too much walking
-- reloads when you enter a building
- minor interface issues
-- ca. 3 CTDs so far. Autosave caught them though.

+/- focus: long boss fights. A matter of taste
+/- forget about exploration
+/- often "on rails"

Thanks for your impressions guys.

A pity about the Linearity but I guess it was more or less to be expected (due to the heavy story focus and a low profile Developer with an adventure background).

This seems to be a very entertaining game. I am sure I am going to like it when it
finally finds its way to us…

@Gorath you mentioned Low performance ? Could you please tell us your system specs ?

How is the dialogue? Is it well written? Are there a lot of dialogue choices and do they matter?

Also, how is the combat? Ive heard negative things on various forums... that it's too simple for one thing.

@Gorath you mentioned Low performance ? Could you please tell us your system specs ?

X2 4000+, 2 GB, GeForce 9600GT
It's okay on this PC, but I'm not sure the game would be tolerable on an even slower system. After testing a couple of resolutions I've decided to play at 1440*900 without AA. This was only possible after overclocking the CPU to 2300 MHz. Before I played on 2.0 GHz at 1024*768 with 2xAA, but this looks like shit on a 22" TFT. On a 19" CRT it might be the better solution though.

How is the dialogue? Is it well written? Are there a lot of dialogue choices and do they matter?
Yes, it's well written. And not as funny as marketing wants to make you think. It's a surprisingly serious game, with the occasional funny line.
Consequences? The choices have some consequences, especially in the side quests. Nothing dramatic though.[/quote]

Also, how is the combat? Ive heard negative things on various forums… that it's too simple for one thing.
Simple compared to what? This is an action RPG.
The combat feels fast, dynamic and forceful. It's the usual combo stuff, combined with rolling to 4 sides. Combos can be improved by skill points. Skills can be dragged into the quickbar. Activation during combat is no problem. The first 4 slots automatically change depending on the chosen weapon type. Switching weapons can be done during a fight. Swallowing a potion too. Entering the afterlife can get you out of a hopeless situation because your enemies only see you disappear. When you are back after a few seconds the situation is different.
Weapons can draw certain types of energy from your enemies, but of course only if you actually use them. This means you'll often use second rate weapons to recharge one energy type or the other.
Or you have to use a weapon type you don't like because an enemy is immune against swords, for example.

I think the combat is pretty good. It's possible some of the critics didn't make use of all available options. What's missing though is a target lock.

Thanks for the impressions, Gorath.

Question -- one of the reviewer's comments is "you are being told a story you cannot influence."

Is that true? Do you not have choices that influence the direction of the story?

Yeah, thanks Gorath. I base whether I get a game on forum user's impressions more so then gaming site reviews.

X2 4000+, 2 GB, GeForce 9600GT

Ah, thanks. I should be OK for some decent settings I guess (AMD FX55, X1900XT,2 GB)
I am a bit worried about my single core CPU mostly... (and doubly worried about Risen in
this regard).

Sounds very nice ... I am hoping this gets translated well for the NA market when it arrives.

Looks very entertaining, hopefully most bugs will be resolved by the time it gets released in English.

I didn't notice so many bugs. It's more a general lack of optimisation. Menues take 2 seconds longer to reacts than they should, autosave happens too often, etc.

Yeah, thanks Gorath. I base whether I get a game on forum user's impressions more so then gaming site reviews.
And what happens if RPG Watch puts his review on the front page? {smirk}

Sounds good - I'm fine with linear if I get a good story in exchange. I still like reading books for a reason.

Thanks, I've found it a few days ago.

Back
Top Bottom