US lawmaker petitions against Loot Boxes

A new study emerged, this time from Japan.
https://psyarxiv.com/s95dj/

Not saying everyone should read through all 34 pages, but shortened conclusion is not unexpected:
Studies have found that adolescents’ in-game purchases are related to psychosocial problems. In-game purchases, including loot boxes, are relatively new systems; therefore, the associated problems have not been fully examined. This study considered whether adolescents plan for in-game purchases and examined the issues related to the purchasing style. We surveyed 1,052 Japanese high school students (591 females, 443 males, and 18 unknowns, aged 15–18) on their online game-playing status, in-game purchases, gaming problems, and depression symptoms. The results revealed that adolescents who made unplanned purchases users had a greater degree of problems than those who planned their purchases. Among the non-planners, loot box users had poorer mental health than non-users of loot boxes. These results suggest that to prevent psychosocial problems associated with problematic gaming among adolescents, it is important to pay attention to unplanned purchases and loot boxes.
We knew this already, so I'm asking how many more studies we need to see and how many more years we need to wait till lootbox atrocity stops being falsely advertised as a videogame.

Almost identical results when they surveyed adults on any addiction related purchase.
Those results are easier to dismiss because adults don't like being shown they make terrible decisions and they have problems.
Glad they are focussing on adolescents to make the change. The voting adults can feel they are protecting another group and make a better choice for adults and kids.

Shows me that I'm not as mad or crazy as I thought I would be …

It never fails to astonish me how true little discipline the average person seems to have, especially these days. You truly do not need to have anything the moment you desire it, save for perhaps gravity and breathable air.

The results revealed that adolescents who made unplanned purchases users had a greater degree of problems than those who planned their purchases.

Gee...who would have thought that?

Back
Top Bottom