Dark Quest 2 - Review @ Gamereactor

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamereactor has reviewed Dark Quest 2:

Dark Quest 2

We've been tasked with ridding the world of an evil wizard in this Hero Quest-inspired turn-based RPG.

There is something special about old school turn-based role-playing games where you're given the time to consider and optimise each move, and where if you failed you're forced to rethink your strategy. In this category of games, we find Dark Quest 2, recently released on Xbox One after having been available on PC (Steam) since 2016.

It appears to have been more than just a little inspired by the board game Hero Quest, in turn, inspired by Dungeons & Dragons. That's hardly a negative, of course, and in fact, the end result is rather entertaining. In Dark Quest 2 we're thrown into a rather straightforward story that serves no other purpose than to provide us with a reason to slay orcs, witches, and goblins. In this case, the benevolent ruler has died and an evil warlock and his hordes of vile creatures have moved into the castle.

[...]

Dark Quest 2 is one of those games that make us grateful that we're in the profession that we are. The hand-drawn and charming graphics, the cosy soundscape, and the addictive gameplay ensured that we were entertained. It's one of those unassuming games we could have easily missed if it weren't for the fact that we were sent a review code. It's the perfect little game if you're looking for something a bit more casual when the urge to play an RPG makes itself known and you don't have the luxury of a lot of time on your hands.

Score: 7/10
More information.

I got close to a solid two weeks entertainment out of this gem, I believe I completed it in early January of this year, so about two months ago. It started off fairly easy, and then the difficulty ramped up to a level that was almost perfect, and every time I fired up this game I had a great time. If you enjoy turn based combat and good exploration, you'll likely love this one!

Dark Quest 2 is exactly the game where you get what you see.
Not more and not less. So if you like what you see in a short trailer, I can also recommend the game to you.

I hated the first one for no progression from dungeon to dungeon. Every time you had to buy the same equipment over and over again. Is this different?

Not sure as I didn't play the first one. You have two slots for usable items. But managing these was actually far less work than in a Darkest Dungeon. And even there it was far from bothering me.

It's a nice little game - and I enjoy it. But it's too short for my tastes.

It's a nice little game - and I enjoy it. But it's too short for my tastes.

I think it was just right (played and finished in 13h). If it was longer it would have gotten boring and repetitive.

I think it was just right (played and finished in 13h). If it was longer it would have gotten boring and repetitive.

Well, ok, it was too short AND too simple :)

For what it was, it was decent. It's not very expensive and it's well done.

Back
Top Bottom