ToEE - The most D&D Game

Think I've had this somewhere on my disk, nearly two years by now. So the combat is really good, I hear?
Kind of hard to imagine after that mess in Arcanum.

It's pretty much the polar opposite of Arcanum. The combat is really good, but nothing else stands out.

Also is is not recommended to play without mods.

I played without mods as I like to see the original developer vision on a first run. It was still good, IMO.

I saw a let's play for an evil party that let's you interact more with the temple denizens and turn them against one another, rather.than just killing them. Looked much more interesting from a role playing perspective.

ToEE was a good implementation of D&D 3E rules in search of a story.

There were also some doofus things they did that when I first played almost had me quit. Prime example was that you can only enchant masterwork weapons *but* not all weapons were available as masterwork. So if you made the wrong choices right at the start with a fighter you could end up not being able to have any magic weapons. Doh!

ToEE was a good implementation of D&D 3E rules in search of a story.

There were also some doofus things they did that when I first played almost had me quit. Prime example was that you can only enchant masterwork weapons *but* not all weapons were available as masterwork. So if you made the wrong choices right at the start with a fighter you could end up not being able to have any magic weapons. Doh!
Only being able to enchant masterwork weapons was per DnD rules. Not having all weapons exist as MW versions, that was designers error :D
I think Co8 mod fixed that and many more things.

Who needs story when you have played 100's of games and read 1000's of books. I can make my own stories while playing these games and the story goes where I want it :)

I agree, and for ToEE it actually worked well. It was just an adventure where your party is out for gold and riches.

Sometimes I prefer premises and games like that. It's a different type of experience.

I made the mistake of getting it when it first came out before any patches. The number of game breaking bugs was truly staggering. But the combat was still really fun, at least up to a point. The AI was truly atrocious though, which could be a problem. It didn't really matter if you were fighting trolls or really simple monsters, but as enemies got more complex the awful AI became more obvious. I remember spell casters doing nothing but cast the same buff spell over and over, despite the fact that it was already up. So the best fights were the really simple ones where the enemy had no choices to make except attack.

Once my guy got swallowed whole by a toad I was sold.:lol:

Or when I first left Homlet my party got butchered by a pair of giant lobsters. :D Laughed my ass off. Greyhawk is sure a cool sub-setting.

I loved the giant toads. I like how with smaller characters and isometric graphics, you can fight some pretty large creatures. They also take up more squares, and that was cool, too.

I thought it was a great game and had by far the best combat of any D&D crpg ever made.

When I played it (when new) I loved it. When I played it a few years ago (3? 4?) I thought it was boring. I think newer games have out done this though it was good at the time. The game play was excellent but the game needed more depth (and yes my second play through was with the latest circle mod).

This is easily one of my all-time favourite games. It is a true marvel of absolute pure incline. I still remember quivering with anticipation when Troika started talking about an Against The Giants sequel. Oh those were heady days .... <wistful sigh>

Or when I first left Homlet my party got butchered by a pair of giant lobsters. :D Laughed my ass off. Greyhawk is sure a cool sub-setting.

Greyhawk was hands-down the best D&D campaign setting. 'Nuff said.

Currently on my nth replay through the game, this time with the amazing Temple+ mod. Graphically, Temple+ really does a lot to enhance the game, and fixes a heckuva lot of bugs.

When I played it (when new) I loved it. When I played it a few years ago (3? 4?) I thought it was boring. I think newer games have out done this though it was good at the time. The game play was excellent but the game needed more depth (and yes my second play through was with the latest circle mod).

Solution: Don't replay games. I would get bored replaying just about any game.

Most likely. Need to get out of the ESO rut…

Playing an MMO is like replaying the same game every single day ;)

Incidentally just started playing again with my brother and a mutual friend. Great fun, actually. Love coop in dungeons!

Back
Top Bottom