Underrail - Expedition Gameplay

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The latest development update for Underrail: Expedition shows off some gameplay. Spoiler Warning.

Hi guys.

Just wanted to let you all know that, even though we've been quiet, we're working hard on getting all the content for the expansion done, now that all the new mechanics have been implemented. The good news is that the the bulk of the main quest, including all the heavy scripting, c&c, etc, is complete and functioning (for the most part, it needs further testing, of course).

For those who just can't wait to get to explore the Black Sea themselves, here's a short video from the recent internal testing that we've done (this is NOT a trailer). It does contain some spoilers, though we tried to censor the important stuff, so be warned.

More information.

All other games will pale in significance when I get my hands on this baby. Underrail is Brutal and hard as nails but so rewarding, one of my all time favourites.

True RPG incline.

There are two things that I really hate in this game: Deep caverns and the lack of a in-game map. To me, those make the game good when it could be a real gem.

It does contain some spoilers, though we tried to censor the important stuff, so be warned.
Yep, that's why I'm avoiding any gameplay or trailer videos, like this.

There are two things that I really hate in this game: Deep caverns and the lack of a in-game map. To me, those make the game good when it could be a real gem.

You don't hate the sleepwalking speed, the doubling back and the 9-level main base with one important figure on each of five different levels?

I did not notice the speed when I played. Seemed fine to me. The rail system was nice for fast travel. The deep caverns are the devil though.

I can't wait to play again and will pretend I won the game once I get to the Deep Caverns :) I have only played it once, when it first came out, so have already forgotten a lot of the minor details.

There are a lot of things to like about Styg's small-scale design, tools, systems and all that good stuff, but I hope his next effort improves on his big picture design.

I'm not sure why the expansion.
Why not Vertigo2, whyyyyyyyyyyyy :'(

I think all developers hate me.

Right? A sequel could always improve stuff people don't like so much.

I did not notice the speed when I played. Seemed fine to me. The rail system was nice for fast travel. The deep caverns are the devil though.

I can't wait to play again and will pretend I won the game once I get to the Deep Caverns :) I have only played it once, when it first came out, so have already forgotten a lot of the minor details.
What is even worse is that Styg done some "improvements" on Deep Caverns after a lot of people bashed it. But very little. He only made the "time limits" less irritating. The rest of the area is still pretty frustrating with the need to go through same area multiple times fighting respawning enemies and then probably read a online guide that tells you how to actually accomplish anything. Even if it had no respawning enemies, there are not enough clues about what to do compared to how the game played before Deep Caverns.
Deep Caverns would have been an OK experience if the rest of the game was like that.. at least for those that got that far as I would have quit the game long time ago.

The most frustrating part in the rest of the game would be a bit of getting lost in the massive caves and caverns until you ran into an area you recognized. I had some of the most fun adventures likes that trying to survive though some bandit infested areas, always at max weight limit and trying to make sure I didn't waste last of my traps on next fight so I can continue and fight more. But at end of the day you got out and continued to mostly easy to figure out goal or got back to resupply with shops that didn't run out of stuff to sell you (DC runs out of everything as it is all there in limited numbers.. unless you are a PSI user or some pure melee and not using power cells)

I gradually lost interest in it. Probably won't bother with the expansion.

You don't hate the sleepwalking speed, the doubling back and the 9-level main base with one important figure on each of five different levels?

The speed really didn't bother me. Doubling back neither, that wouldn't affect me at all if I had s map, preferably eschalon style. As for the spread out NPCs throughout the base, that bothered me a little as my character was basically a crafter and I would always be looking out for supplies.

What really irritated me was Deep Caverns and getting lost/having to explore the same areas multiple times because I did not have a map. What's worse is that these are issues that were brought by many, many people, and Styg stubbornly maintained his "vision", keeping stuff that I would call design flaws as actual game features.

Underrail is a niche RPG, so I'm pretty sure Styg considers them features.

Games didn't always have maps or fast-forward buttons you know. The mainstream industry became very accessibility-oriented, which produces easily-irritated, low-patience cucks who depend on ease of access. Note post #13. I for one thank God for Styg's "stubbornness". He is one of the few developers with some creative integrity left.

I can agree a map would have been nice, and the walking speed was a bit slow. But still, a bloody awesome game and I'll gladly replay it when the expansion arrives.

Underrail is a niche RPG, so I'm pretty sure Styg considers them features.

Games didn't always have maps or fast-forward buttons you know. The mainstream industry became very accessibility-oriented, which produces easily-irritated, low-patience cucks who depend on ease of access. Note post #13. I for one thank God for Styg's "stubbornness". He is one of the few developers with some creative integrity left.

You may call anything features, even bugs.

But some designs are simply bad designs. Mainstream or niche, just bad.
One day you'll perhaps learn that loving a game doesn't mean defending it's bad parts. You wouldn't want your wife (assuming you're married) to have a leg broken for life.

This coming from a man that plays big AAA games regularly LOL .. you play games with terrible design every day.

I do wish he would add an in-game map that would pop up as you move around (why can't modern computers keep track of places as you visit them ?). Rumour is he coded it and it had a bug so he removed it. If that is true it would beg the question why not fix the bug ?

Well I can see where's he coming from...they still don't have maps to this day in Serbia.
Have to pick this up at some point, along with new Ceca album. :p

Back
Top Bottom