building a 2016/17 desktop

I was originally thinking of the cloud (probably the rubbish services you speak of), but now that I see storing large amounts is better with SAN? I'm looking at how it works and it seems pretty interesting for my needs. Just feel like I should store more things outside of my computer…

There's give and take there. If it's in the cloud then it's possible somebody at whatever company owns the server will get evil and sell your data off. But then, it isn't like your own hard drives are all THAT secure. But then, at least you can shred stuff on your own PC and know that, without a mighty sophisticated laboratory, that data is really gone. But then, what if your hard drive crashes? But then, what if the cloud company goes bankrupt?

It goes on and on.

Still, if you're on a gigabit network, you probably don't need to keep all those Steam games installed when downloading them is so fast.

What problem are you having with the 2500k for games. I can't really see any games being cpu saturated. Some of the newer codec might decode faster on kaby lake (h.265 and v9) but the processor should be within 20% of a skyalke i5 with regards to raw cpu performance. It might be sufficient to just update your gpu to 1060 or amd equiv (480?). The one catch is you need to check if your mb firmware will support the newer gpu. My msi board did not by default; there was a beta rom that did but it had some 'issues' and was quite clearly and crudely beta (they didn't really complete the gui). However the board was one of the earlier 1155 boards.
-
If you do build a new system you might want to go small (itx) (gigabyte has a mini 1070 that is quite nice).
-
Also you definitely should go with 16GB of ram; I ran into my first game (DOOM) that would not run correclty on 8GB without a page file (i removed the page file by default since i use ssd; i made a temp one for doom and that resolved my issue but was a little shocked at the total ram usage). I'm not a fan of WD blue; but to be honest the failure rate for all the disks are on the high side these days (seagate the worse by far; WD and hitachi seem to have the best overall record but you have to pick and choose models).
-
I buy platinum power supplies these days; though I suppose I would consider a gold; but the one you have listed is quite poor and inefficient. If you are in the US you can get some pretty good deals on seasonics if you wait for the price point. 600 watt should be plenty but 550 if the psu is quality model is also fine. You want to stay above 60% but below 80% for the power usage (if possible).
-
There are some pretty nifty itx cases if you go that route.
-
Btw are you sure the cpu was the issue with your video editing and it wasn't the slow disk ?

Hi guys, i am thinking to get a new pc to replace my current 6 years old desktop.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12036 my 2011 pc
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3389 my 2007 pc

Here's my old rig from 2011:

Processor - Intel sandy bridge core i5-2500k
Motherboard - Asus p8p67
Graphic Card - nVidia 580
8 GB Corsair 1333 DDR3 dual channnel
Corsair 600T casing
Corsair HX750 PSU
1TB Samsung Spinpoint
Dell U2711
22x Samsung DVD rewritable
Creative SB X-FI XtremeGamer
Logitech z-5500 5.1 Speaker
Logitech Mx518

So far, the core i5-2500k run quite well at many tasks i thrown at it, except video editing and newest games. The Asus p8p67 died on me after few months of use, and since then i use its replacement (a same model) until now. The nvidia GTX 580 drop dead in 2012, replaced by GTX 670 and it definitely help a lot in running The Witcher 3 but its frame rate was clearly stuttering. As for Samsung spinpoint, it got busted in 2014 while the logitech mx518 died a year earlier. The 22x samsung DVD is also pretty much on a dead bed, as it started to act erratically since a year ago.

Everyting else works fine, especially the z-5500 which i bought earlier in 2007 (almost 10 years now :) ), and the Dell U2711, a wonderful monitor!. I definitelly to reuse them with my future new desktop. I havent finalized the component in the new rig yet, but pretty much as follow:

1) Processor ------Core i5 6500----------------------
2) Motherboard ----GIGABYTE H170-GAMING 3------------
3) RAM ------------GSKILL AEGIS Series 8GB DDR4 x 2--
4) Graphics Card---GTX 1070/1060/RX 490 8GB----
5) SSD-------------Samsung 750 EVO 120GB-------------
6) Hard disk ------WD Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM-------------
7) Chassis --------Sharkoon BW9000 Black-------------
8) Power Supply ---Xigmatek Shogun 600W (80+ Bronze)-
9) OS -------------Windows 10 Home-------------------

I use it for video/graphics editing as well as gaming. I am not in hurry to build it, maybe in 3-6 months or even early next year (kind of curious with Kaby Lake); Any suggestion?

@you
Regarding the psu actually i changed to leadek super flower 550 silver which is better since i posted the specs here.

And i build this rig to replace the current one which i would transfer it to someone else :) . i5 2500 is a fine processor.

Back
Top Bottom