Sunless Skies - Interview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
MCV interview Failbetter Games about Sunless Skies and whether early access 'curiousity' is dwindling.

The game has also been hit by several changes to Steam's marketplace, which is affecting Early Access games negatively.

"Valve has reduced the exposure Early Access titles titles tend to get on the platform, very sensibly," Myers mentioned. "It's very sensible, probably as a way to protect people from problematic early access games, ones that end up not getting finished."

However, Myers says there also seems to be less interest from the public with regards to getting stuck into an Early Access game. "Players have sated the curiosity that initially seemed to motivate a lot of players to back Early Access projects, in terms of going through the development process," adds Myers.

"Now, players are more likely to base their purchasing decision on whether or not they think it's the right time to experience the game."

For Sunless Skies, a game with a heavy narrative focus, Myers posits that a lot of players could be waiting for the game to be complete before they throw themselves in rather than experiencing just a small part of it.

It's a tough blow for Failbetter, and has unfortunately seen them part ways with several members of staff, delaying the game past its initial launch date. Work on the game continues, rapidly, and both Myers and Flynn say there's no risk the studio won't deliver.

[...]
More information.

IMHO Failbetter practically maxed out their format, and slowly but surely spirals into false predictability, like Spiderweb.

That is: while the story/setting is obviously different, the games look and play somewhat similar. Hence, only the hardcore fans try out the new installations, other players are burned out and looking for new thrills elsewhere.

I was pleasantly surprised by Sunless Seas, which I bought on sale at -66%. I will probably buy the sequel, but its not the game of game I'd probably spend 20 Euros on, so I wouldn't be the kind of person to support it in early access.

I prefer Late Access, myself. When a game is released in a half-arsed state (which is most of them), I ignore it for at least six months, assess the patching situation, and pick it up on sale.

Back
Top Bottom