Madman!

Dr. Dungeon is a TRUE indie RPG hero and a maverick who fully deserves support, he has my money for whatever he releases for sure. There is a huge thread on the Codex about his games which is really worth checking out. He absolutely does NOT compromise on old-school RPG principles in any way, shape or form unlike all those has been poseurs.

Really looking forward to this. I've been following it for a while and really like what I see.

Jeff Vogel, beware!

Oh yes! GOG is the next stop! Really excited right now. Been working 7 years on it. Lost my mind doing it. But you gotta be a little crazy to make something like this. I guess that's why I called it "Madman". :)

Been working 7 years on it. Lost my mind doing it. But you gotta be a little crazy to make something like this. I guess that's why I called it "Madman". :)

That could be your main selling point."Made by insane for insane":)

This game looks and sounds really weird and unique I will definitively get once it's release on either steam or gog.

Last edited:
You are spot-on, nameless! The last thing I put in Madman was the ability to step on snakes. They eat butterflies off some plants, and there's an odd desire to step on them, with a satisfying "pssst!", and the appearance of blood on the grass. For some reason this has the same gratification as popping those plastic bubbles we get in some packages. Its right up there with the ability to close one of the drawbridges in the game and slap the jellyfish underneath. SPLAP! Truly, putting such odd things in a game has got to be a sign of impending mental breakdown!!!

I forgot! My friend is right now fixing up the Steam site from an error I made. That "Mach Gryphon Castle" icon is awful, plus had some trouble uploading screen shots. Just sent him a new batch and he's on the site right now. When you're mind has finally snapped, well, that's what friends are for!

Awesome atmosphere! Is it inspired by Nox?
I very much liked the intro, menus and Character faces. Branched dialogues was also great.
From purely graphical point of view, the water animation and colors is a bit disctracting. I'm not sure if you wanted that feel on purpose though.
The refresh/render rate while moving seemed jumpy.
It would be good if esc brings the main menu.
Btw why did you choose this angle of the perspective?
I hope you won't get discouraged by these critics, i'm more of a graphics guy.

Thanks for taking it for a spin, Yan. I'm actually myself only semi-happy with the water. I originally wanted "Ultima 6" style water - where it actually flows - as a subconscious reminder to the player that he's basically made to "go with the flow" of the odd circumstances he finds himself in. Trouble was I ran out of tile buffer space, which is hard to change, after I upgraded the desert area which was very bland at first. So I had to stick with "shimmer" water. The whole style of top-down oblique is sort of Ultima 7 tilted 45 degrees clockwise. Did this literally because it was easier from a programming standpoint, and so the characters walking animation matched the tile size. It was quite a trip to do! The render varies a little as it tries to adjust to different PC speeds to keep the character from moving too fast, while still allowing a range of walking speed choices. Mostly he'll go pretty smooth, but will sometimes take an extra quick step or two as the timer kicks in. Might work on smoothing that in a future patch. Good idea with the ESC! I keep bragging about the super-intuitive interface, odd I should forget this! But let me know how you make out for now, and have fun with it. Madman tries to deviate quite a bit from the standard rpg conventions and gets pretty bizarre as it goes. Thanks again! - Dr. D.

I forgot to mention that Madman uses the Humble Bundle company to purchase through the widget on the site. I chose them on purpose because not only do they give a significant amount of revenue to the developer, which in turn allows the developer to make even better games, but a portion goes to many charities like
ablegamers, childsplaycharity, specialeffect and others.

Many of these places are helping children with disabilities.

By the end of the 2014, the total charitable amount raised by Humble's Bundles exceeded $50 million across 50 different charities!
http://www.ablegamers.com/
http://childsplaycharity.org/
http://www.specialeffect.org.uk/

That's always a good thing, not just for my game, but for any other developer's games you buy using this service. Something to think about.
Dr. D.

Madman - a bizarre land and a lot of off-the-wall characters, available now:
http://www.machgryphon.com/

I've been playing the last couple days and it is indeed a blast from the past.

I've been playing the last couple days and it is indeed a blast from the past.

Great game indeed, I got it too.

I'm disappointed though because I sent news of the release through the contact form and they haven't posted it as a news item, whereas news posters are happy to post the 25th news drama about Fallout 4.

They posted it on the 17th, HHR. The day it was released. That's how I learned about the game :) Dr. Dungeon isn't a new Dev either. If you like old-style games, you can try Ultizurk too. It may not work on Win7 or higher though.

Back
Top Bottom