Burden of Command - Tactical Gameplay Video

Hmm, I'm still not sure whether this game has an actual traditional combat system, or if combat is more narrative with choices that simply offer percentage chances for certain effects, etc....if you catch my drift. Not sure I'm expressing myself very well there. :p

Hmm, I'm still not sure whether this game has an actual traditional combat system, or if combat is more narrative with choices that simply offer percentage chances for certain effects, etc….if you catch my drift. Not sure I'm expressing myself very well there. :p

Can't be sure, but from what they've shown it seems to be more a series of narrative choices with the probability of success than traditional turn-based tactical combat (e.g., X-com)... Looks quite similar to Sacred Fire combat actually.

First thanks for the post Silver! Second, this is Luke project lead. Thanks for your interest Capt. Huggy Face (you don't honestly look that huggy O Battle Brother LOL ). Hmm what's a traditional combat system? We're kind of like the old Squad Leader but modernized we hope in terms of XCom like stream lining. Battle Brothers itself isn't such a bad analogy except we are not procedurally generated and are a mix of single figure leaders with squads (10 men). Hope that helps a bit. Luke

Hope you don't make it too streamlined. xcom is already fairly simple - mind you a good gui that makes it efficient to play is great; but lack of tactical options would hurt; then again i might not have understood what you meant by 'in terms of xcom like stream lining' ...

First thanks for the post Silver! Second, this is Luke project lead. Thanks for your interest Capt. Huggy Face (you don't honestly look that huggy O Battle Brother LOL ). Hmm what's a traditional combat system? We're kind of like the old Squad Leader but modernized we hope in terms of XCom like stream lining. Battle Brothers itself isn't such a bad analogy except we are not procedurally generated and are a mix of single figure leaders with squads (10 men). Hope that helps a bit. Luke

Hmm other analogs: Shadowrun. Heavy narrative side tied to tactical. Or Banner Saga.
I like to think it will have sufficient tactical complexity but then I might be biased LOL.
Combat Unit Actions: Move, Shoot, Assault, maybe Scout
Leadsrs: Rally, Bolster, Press (see video for these 3), Assess (overcome friction that strips command points)
Mechsnics: Morale Checks, Flanking, Height, Cover, Exposed (caught in open), LOS, Friction.
RPG on battlefield: Trust, Experience/Respect, Morale, Suppression

Just trying to give a smell of it as it were :) Plus dynamically triggered choose your own moments.

Luke

The ASL connection

Hey Carnifex,

We'll try! Here are some other boardgam influences we draw on in case that interests you: http://bit.ly/BoC-blog2

There's also an RPG focused dev blog in that area too fyi (#4).

Luke

Squad Leader is some good inspiration. Thanks for the reply, Luke.

Back
Top Bottom