Nextgen CPUs

Not a secret - see my post above.

I know its a bit overkill and an i7 so had skipped posting about it. But since I got asked I don't mind posting about it.

Just curious to see how it runs :)

Not overkill at all IMO. Of course I built almost the same system.:) I have a 5930k@4.8, Titan X (pascal), 32GB ram, custom dual rad, pump water cooling loop Samsung 960 512 (NVMe) for OS and 1TB SSD instead of hhd.

Haven't modded skyrim yet with the pascal titan but a fully modded skyrim (150 mods) with enb brought my titan X maxwell down to 30-45 FPS. (@ 3440X1440)So it's definitely possible to use all that power.

Yea it's overkill but I forgot your top game and since you run 300+ mods at the same time, perhaps it is not? ;)

For Sakichop only:
http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-5-smashes-records-at-6ghz/#article-comments

There is a video included.

Me? Well, I do watch shows for entertainment but I don't practice what I see there in my room, instead of tinkering I play games. ;)

Yep, I saw that earlier. Pretty impressive but I'm only interested in overclocks I can run 24/7.

I love to game and tinker.:)

Well its about twice as fast as my previous one. Surprised how much difference the CPU and GPU made. I mean my last one wasn't that bad. Its damn big though :p

33333060393_5efb47d7c4_o.jpg

33333060583_e4344a2682_o.jpg

An article from PC gamer:
http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-and-amd-are-about-to-clash-with-new-high-end-gaming-cpus/

Intel and AMD are about to clash with new high-end gaming CPUs

AMD's Ryzen has started to shake things up. Offering more cores for less money, Ryzen is the first AMD CPU since Sledgehammer (K8) in 2004 to seriously challenge Intel's best. Following the successful launch of Ryzen 7 and 5 (competitors for Intel's Core i5 and i7) and the AM4 platform, AMD is prepping its X399 chipset and Ryzen 9 CPUs, potentially doubling the core count of Ryzen 7. Intel isn't about to go quietly into the night, pulling out its own heavy artillery in the form of Core i9 Skylake-X and Core i7 Kaby Lake-X processors for the upcoming LGA2066 / X299 platform.

The high-end desktop market is set to become a new battleground for the PC enthusiast.

Not much useful said there, grain of salt is a must. As most of these "gaming" CPUs are not gaming at all.

Is it true that AMD processors in general produce more heat than Intel ones ?
I was told so at a local computer shop, because I'm planning to get myself a new PC this year.

My only *real* constraints are : It must be silent, and it must be compatible with windows 7 (no discussion on that; especially since I just can't get along with the win 8-10 shells. I just can't. And I don't want to be forced to install an replacement for that).
And I prefer AMD, because it's the smaller one of both firms. I always support the smaller ones, if possible, out of principle.

AMD Ryzen are competitive when it comes to temperature vs Intel, see Tom's hardware test results for example.

and you are in luck, the Ryzen works better under Win 7 scheduler than Win 10 (even if technically not officially supported and I saw no news about Win 10 scheduler being fixed, maybe it was...)

Well, I don't think I'll be getting a Ryzen CPU, because I don't want what "high-end" stuff. I mean, right now there areonly "high-end" Ryzen processors available, aren't they ? And I can't afford that anyway.

I'm rather looking for something in the platform before that, middle class. Simply because Ryzen looks like overkill to me right now, and I don't want to spend so much money for that, either.

I'm still torn between buying a full PC and buying components for building it together.

Go for components. Always.
Forget brands, it's always overpriced mostly rubbish.

Available Ryzen CPUs are overkill only for MMOs and ports from phones. Sure, you don't have to go for 6core R5 but it's the best current option IMO if you had to upgrade today. An option that'll last you for many years that come. Unless someone suddenly reveals a diamond based CPU, but I don't see it happening in near future.

Ryzen R3 CPUs are not available yet, all of them will be quadcores so patience. R3 1300 is rumored to hit stores next month.
Keep in mind that even R3 will be an overkill for MMOs. To be honest, if your plan is continue only MMOing next 4-5 years, forget Ryzen and buy Intel Pentium G4560 - it's 2core garbage CPU but with hyperthreading that give an illusion of 4 and is dirty cheap:
https://www.alzashop.com/intel-pentium-g4560-d4630170.htm?o=1

Here's a review if you need more details:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-pentium-g4620-g4560-cpu,4934.html
Note that such pathetic CPU will bottleneck highend GPUs! So you shouldn't put Titan in a machine with it but something much lower, like GTX1050. Although… GTX1050 for MMOs… Again an overkill.

What I'm saying is you should first decide what are you planning to do with the new machine. For example if you plan to finally play The Witcher 3 in all it's glory, get some actual quadcore CPU. If you can't care less about products that technically belong in this decade, stick with that pentium above.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for your efforts … I'm planning to have a "middle class" machine, no high-end stuff, as I wrote above. I decided I just don't want high-end stuff, especially since I'm not playing ressource-heavy games. Especially not shooters of any kind. The Withcher would be the only exception from this, and I wanted to dabble with ME1 and MEA a bit, too.
In fact, I'm playing less and lss games these days.

Maybe I'm even in the wrong thread for my problems, lol.

And no, it won't be a branded PC - I have asked a local small PC shop to give me a built PC offer I could think about, so to say.

Well, it turned out that it was a basic offer - a more detaioled offer costs money.
Understandavble, because they arguue : If they give a detailed offer, people would just pick the items from that, and order them on the internet, and assemble them at home. And the shop wouldn't earn nothing from that.

So, I've changed my approach : I'll gather together what I want, give them the lest, let them order the items for me, and then I'll assemble it at home. Should be a win-win situation for everyone.

AMD Accidentally Reveals Ryzen 3 1200 and 1300 Processors, First Benchmarks Leaked – Comparable Performance To A Stock Core i5 3570K
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3-1200-benchmarks-leaked/

Now I use practically 0.0001% different i5 4670K. Never overclocked it - there was no need.
I can't now remember how much I paid for it back then, but today it's price on amazon for 3570K is $270:
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B007SZ0E1K/

Estimated price for AMD's two CPUs is $130-150 which will most probably make them the next best budget gaming PC option.

One of my game systems is still using sandy bridge. Quite frankly there is no reason to upgrade unless you need a new system for some reason or need some very specific feature (more pci lanes; hardware 4k decoding; ...).

Having said that glad to see amd making some thrives. Been a while since dual-core came out they've been a bit behind.

Eurogamer compared R5 1600 with i5 7600K:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-ryzen-5-1600-1600x-vs-core-i5-7500k-review

But with the CPUs available to buy right now, Ryzen 5 1600 is our choice as the best mainstream gaming CPU on the market. And that's a simply phenomenal achievement - since the debut of the Core i5 2500K back in 2011, Intel's i5 K chips have earned their place at the heart of millions of users' gaming PCs. The Ryzen alternative is faster where it needs to be, better suited to more modern game engines, and comes across overall as a kind of hybrid of i5 and four-core/six-core i7s depending on how its resources are deployed.

I started to get moist and excited over this new Ryzen best-for-gamers thing then did some research and checked out A-B benchmark comparisons on the internet. Turns out my old Intel i5 beats the Ryzen 5 1600 in most benchmarks (though I didn't specifically look over gaming tests). Still might be very worthwhile for those on a budget moving up from older AMD 6-cores with poorer gaming performance compared to Intel i5s/i7s to this new chip

If you already have i5, there is absolutely no reason to change it. Unless it's some sucky version like 2core ones in laptops.
But if you're buying a new machine, sorry, I just cannot suggest i5 any more. Go for 6core Ryzen or if on budget, grab 4core Ryzen.

Gaming is what matters (to me). If you're after a CPU that won't be used for gaming, then either you should go with cheapskates for facebook or the most expensive i7 for house design.

Today. But tomorrow…
http://wccftech.com/amd-threadripper-1950x-oced-tested-otherworldly-performance/
We’re less than 48 hours away from AMD’s official Ryzen Threadripper launch and the leaks just keep coming in hot. Fresh from the oven of leakery we bring you yet another set of mouth-wateringly tasty figures for the company’s upcoming Ryzen Threadripper flagship, the 16 core 32 thread 1950X.

Let’s start out with the Cinebench R15 result first. Here, the 1950X manages to deliver a whopping 3337 points with all sixteen of its cores running at 4.0GHz. By comparison a similarly priced Intel Core i7 7900X gets 2169 points at stock and maxes out at 2464 with a hefty 4.6GHz overclock. That comes out to a 35%+ difference when both chips are overclocked. Not even the world record Cinebench R15 run of the 7900X at 5.96GHz with liquid nitrogen cooling is enough to surpass Threadripper’s score.

At 4.1GHz the figures become even more astronomical for Threadripper. The chip manages to score 58391 points in Geekbench 3. Which not only is by far the highest score for any desktop processor we have ever seen but also secures it a 37% lead over a 7900X overclocked to 4.5GHz which manages to score around ~42600 points in the same test.

The Ryzen Threadripper 1950X is by far the most powerful desktop processor we have seen tested to date and once overclocked its performance jumps from the realm of very impressive to, there’s no better word for it, otherworldly. The embargo on Threadripper reviews goes up this upcoming Thursday and we can’t wait to see what else this chip can do.
Of course you don't need 16core CPU for gaming.
But if you bought i7 for whatever reason which is not gaming as i7 is ment for other stuff, I don't see why would you stay on i7 when threadripper appears.

AMD is shaking the stale CPU market. While intel isn't buying diapers yet, they'll have to answer the challenge. Hopefully by making better CPUs or pricedrops, not by bribing Dell again.

Yes, as I implied in my post above, if you're upgrading an old gaming rig that isn't some i5/i7 3800 MHz+ machine, it's very worth your while to look into the cost-effective vs. high performance Ryzen chips. But if you already have a decent quad-core i5 or i7 like myself it's just not going to be a significant upgrade. I was impressed, however, by an early preview Linus Tech Tips video that showed the Ryzen in a side by side comparison with an Intel i5/i7 setup running some system demanding high detail isometric game and the Ryzen wasn't dropping frames while the i5/i7 was. But since I never notice frame-dropping on recent games I'm playing, it's just not worth upgrading for me at the moment.

It's nice to see AMD pulling ahead in the gaming niche market even if briefly, I'm sure, when Intel will most likely overtake them again soon when they come out with a Ryzen-killer, but at a much higher price point, I'm certain.

My core i7 from 2008 oc to 4Ghz still runs newest games on max settings with good gpu. Recently I bought two used i5 (2012 or so) gaming PC:s for 300-400e each. Both PC:s are built from best (military class) compontents. Built to last. With them I might be good for another 10 years.

So if you want best return for your money always buy hardware used. You will also save time (no need to assemble the PC).

GPUs I still buy new. They dont last that long. 3-4 years is max.

i7-7700k seems dope

Back
Top Bottom