Battle Brothers - Review @ TechRaptor

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
TechRaptor has reviewed the tactical RPG Battle Brothers:

Battle Brothers Review - A Proper Challenge

Tactical RPGs are often hard to come by nowadays, mostly because they are difficult games to master by design. Some (like the Fire Emblem games) are deceptively simple. For the most part, the glut of mechanics and options found in a tactical game is often a major turnoff for players. The indie gaming market has its own share of tactical games, but very few seem to really hit that sweet spot of being challenging without compromising its own mechanics. Thankfully, a game like Battle Brothers, the first major title from the small German indie team Overhype Studios, is an exception to that rule.

Battle Brothers is a tactical RPG where the player is put in charge of a fledgling mercenary company. The world is based on German folklore with a gritty and dark fantasy twist, but the game is all about building up your ragtag team of mercenaries to take on bigger and better contracts for piles of gold. What will ensue is a campaign that ends when you decide. A campaign where your men’s steel will clash with insurmountable odds as you hopefully lead them to fame and fortune.

[...]

Overall, Battle Brothers is a solid, exhilarating experience that might turn away some players due to its difficulty, but attract others because of its challenge. The strategic options and statistics are complex, the gameplay is tough but not overly difficult. At its heart, the game provides a deep, tactical experience that is both challenging and rewarding for players to enjoy.
More information.

Amazing that a game like this didn't top 100K sold, even with 2 years in Early Access at $15. If this had been released in 1999 for $50 (and from the graphics it almost could have been) it would have been a smash hit… then again Jagged Alliance 2 never made any money and it's lauded as one of the greatest strategy games of all time.

I'm not surprised - if one is browsing games screenshots trying to find what to buy next, this game won't grab any attention.

Visuals are not everything of course, Stardew Valley looks like shit yet sold more than a million copies easily thanks to word of mouth. So give it time. If enough people like the game so much to create buzz about BB, it'll get more sales. If not, ah, well…

I do think the graphics/art style probably hurt sales. It's superficial, but I must admit that if lots of credible people hadn't raved about it on here, I wouldn't have given it a second glance.

The art style is weird, no doubt, but the art itself is top notch, as good as anything 2D produced for AAA games. I personally like it.

Also, have you ever seen a chess player say the game's unplayable because he doesn't like the style of the pieces?

Right, like I said, it's superficial, and I'm not saying that it makes much sense to reject a game on that basis. But, in terms of appealing to a large audience, I just think it probably was a significant factor, justified or not.

Right, like I said, it's superficial, and I'm not saying that it makes much sense to reject a game on that basis. But, in terms of appealing to a large audience, I just think it probably was a significant factor, justified or not.

Americans, children, females, all react better to bright colour schemes; like Stardew Valley. You'll notice all the USA rpgs are full of colour. Look at Diablo3. Remember the rainbow fiasco?

Europe prefers darker more washed out colours, like the Gothic games and battle brothers

So, yeah, I'm with you on this one. Definitely a contributing factor.

Stardew Valley is actually an amazing game with amazing depth. The developer of that game put a lot of heart and love into it, you can tell.

I agree with Kelefane on a Stardew Valley. And what's wrong with people liking colours? I don't want to boring greys and browns all the time. Also, just because games at colourful, doesn't mean it lacks depth or for childish audience only.

what's wrong with people liking colours? I don't want boring greys and browns all the time.
Nothing at all is wrong with liking colours. Did I imply there was or are you just over-reacting because you were triggered by the word Females? That's so female of you! :p This is just well known marketing information.
Also, just because games are colourful, doesn't mean it lacks depth or for childish audience only.
Totally. Sorry, but did you read what I said, at all? :)

I wasn't directing the post to you. I think you were just saying bright colours appeal to wider public?

Back
Top Bottom