The Iron Oath [Turn Based Tactical RPG]

sennin

Watcher
Update: You can now back us on Kickstarter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4qN8EbVlXM

------------------------------------------------
Hey,

My name is Nik and I'm the artist working on The Iron Oath. We just got around to releasing our first gameplay teaser this past weekend(link at the bottom), so I figured I’d start a thread over here to keep you all up to date on our future progress and take any feedback you have to offer :)

ZdIh2QZ.png

Quick Summary of the Game:
The Iron Oath is a turn-based tactical RPG that is set in a dark fantasy world. Recruit, manage, and embark on missions with a roster of adventurers, testing the limits of their mortality. Every decision made carries weight and can have a minor or major influence on your characters and the world that surrounds them. As you and your guild progress, the world changes dynamically, enabling new storylines to discover and resulting in a unique experience for every playthrough.

DplLKdk.gif

There's a lot to cover but for now I'll just give you a short rundown of our current list of planned features. We'll expand on each point in further updates.

Planned Features:

• A large and dynamic overworld to traverse: 9 regions with over 50 towns and cities to visit. Cities can be overtaken, destroyed and rebuilt, and various factions can emerge, rise and fall. A playthrough can potentially last hundreds of years, resulting in many changes to the initial world state.
  • In-depth roster management: Characters will age and die frequently in combat and you will be required to to recruit new members and keep them satisfied. Your guilds reputation in the world will shift depending on your actions, presenting the opportunity to create both allies and enemies.
  • Variety of Classes: Each class has their strengths and weaknesses which you will need to take into account when assembling your party. We will be launching with at least 12 different classes, allowing for many different options when it comes to tactics.
  • Hand crafted and dynamic missions to complete: Many missions will be generated dynamically based on the state of the world, but there will also be unique hand crafted questlines for you to play through, including the main storyline.
  • Numerous environments to explore: Missions will occur in a variety of indoor and outdoor environments filled with a variety of enemies, secrets, traps and long forgotten artifacts.
  • Tactical turn based combat: Combat occurs on a hex grid and you must figure out how best to navigate each enemy encounter. Proper party composition and resource management(from both items and abilities) is vital.
  • Unique character development: Every recruitable character has their own personal backstory that shapes their motives, personality and traits.
  • Decisions matter: Choices bear consequences in many forms. Choosing to assault a trade cart on your journey could result in a powerful faction sending assassins after you.
  • A fleshed out world backstory to uncover: NPC's are not fountains of knowledge. Many secrets remain in the world and you will need to discover things on your own through context and other avenues.
  • Dark orchestral soundtrack by Alex Roe: Alex(https://alexroe.bandcamp.com) is well known for his Dark Souls remixes and we're thrilled to have him in charge of our soundtrack.

RSsrGfx.gif

---------------------------------
Current Status

The game is now live on Kickstarter, help us reach our goal!

I'm here to answer any questions you may have, and if you'd like to stay updated on our progress you can sign up for the mailing list on our website!

www.theironoath.com

Last edited:
The Iron Oath Introduction

Ya I'm not really sure what happened hah. It seemed like it disappeared some time after I made an edit.

Last edited:
It's probably just because you're new so posting links automatically gets your post flagged IIRC.

Anyway, game looks interesting. Turn-based tactical is my strongly preferred combat mode, but I do tend to prefer RPGs which emphasize story, NPC interaction / dialogue and choice & consequence, over combat-centric RPGs. Frankly the combat would have to be really outstanding for me to buy another combat focused game. Will you be releasing a playable combat demo at some point?

Heh, I tried to edit my reply and put the introduction back in, but as soon as it saved and went through it got deleted aswell lol, so ya I guess it's getting flagged as spam. Guess I need to message a mod?

We actually are putting a big focus on all 3 of those aspects :) We have the backstory of the world already written out and a story that goes with it. Your characters have unique personalities & interact with each other and other NPC's(both neutral and enemies) that you come across during missions. Making choices will definitely bear consequence and can potentially affect the world and your characters loyalty to the company(they can approve or disapprove of choices you make).

What Daveyd said. Our spam filter checks the first couple of posts and sometimes flags them as spam.
I've approved them now.

Heh, I tried to edit my reply and put the introduction back in, but as soon as it saved and went through it got deleted aswell lol, so ya I guess it's getting flagged as spam. Guess I need to message a mod?

We actually are putting a big focus on all 3 of those aspects :) We have the backstory of the world already written out and a story that goes with it. Your characters have unique personalities & interact with each other and other NPC's(both neutral and enemies) that you come across during missions. Making choices will definitely bear consequence and can potentially affect the world and your characters loyalty to the company(they can approve or disapprove of choices you make).

I think I initially read too much into this line on your website "At its core, it’s a turn based tactical RPG with a focus on dungeon crawling."

Now that I've had a chance to read over the FAQ & what you posted here it's sounding far more interesting to me. I'll most likely back it. Is there any character customization (do you have choices over what skills / abilities to focus on, or does every class have a set skills progression)?

I think I initially read too much into this line on your website "At its core, it’s a turn based tactical RPG with a focus on dungeon crawling."

Now that I've had a chance to read over the FAQ & what you posted here it's sounding far more interesting to me. I'll most likely back it. Is there any character customization (do you have choices over what skills / abilities to focus on, or does every class have a set skills progression)?

Great to hear :D Ya our FAQ is half a year old while the feature list was just recently written. Dungeon crawling is still the biggest focus out of everything but we're not forgetting other aspects either :)

As for customization, each class has 6 abilities(some are multi-function by having slightly different effects depending on whether you target an enemy or ally). Whenever a character levels up you'll be able to spend an ability point to rank up an ability. When you do that there's a few different choices for augmenting it depending on the ability. Some examples would be higher damage, lowered cost, added splash damage, added knockback, increased range. Basically each ability has its own little skill tree. Beyond that, other customization would include character traits(though this is harder to directly control) and gear.

The Iron Oath on Kickstarter August 9th!

vOjZg0s.png

Hey everybody. We've spent the last month planning and working and I'm here to announce that we'll be coming to Kickstarter on August 9th. We started a Thunderclap campaign(https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/59595-the-iron-oath) to help get the word out and would appreciate your support!

Recently I've been working on creating new environments for the game. I only have 1 or 2 tile pieces completed for each so far but the hard part is done at least :)

BinF3cw.png

jfjk7gZ.png

YbDJvZG.png

BATsnvF.png

Up next I'll be tackling some new props and character designs.

Thanks for stopping by, and I'm here to answer any questions you may have :)

Really looking fwd to the KS on this title. This looks like a winner, IMO.

Really looking fwd to the KS on this title. This looks like a winner, IMO.

Thanks a lot my man, only a few days away now!

We've recently implemented all the new environments into the game, here's a look at them with props and all :)

Crypt:
LQul29L.png

Sewer:
ZqiTGAG.png

Monastery:
xD8lgTM.png

Ancient Ruins:
ZdIh2QZ.png

Snowy Cavern:
d8J3GQU.png

Hope you all dig the look! Back to work for me now, still got some last minute prep to do before the Kickstarter!

I'm considering backing...

The KS states there'll be exploration during missions, but in the vids I don't really see that. Are missions (and dungeons) linear? Will they have branching paths, secret passages and such, or is it simply just always moving forward down the corridor?

I'm considering backing…

The KS states there'll be exploration during missions, but in the vids I don't really see that. Are missions (and dungeons) linear? Will they have branching paths, secret passages and such, or is it simply just always moving forward down the corridor?

Thanks for the interest! The reason for that is that most of tile sets shown are all quite new and only have a few variations so far. I have yet to create larger rooms(and smaller rooms adjacent to hallways) for them. Our older tileset has most of this but we decided to scrap that one as it was quite inferior to my newer artwork.

A similar question was also asked on our kickstarter page, I will just quote my reply here.

As for the exploration, yes and no. While for the most part you will always be generally traveling left to right(or the reverse), there is a bit of vertical exploration as well. A hallway can have some small rooms both above and below for you to explore(these are generally places where you would want to camp), and the halls can also open up into larger rooms where you may have to walk up or down a bit to get to find your objective or the next doorway.

Here is a shot of our current minimap(http://vvcap.com/img/mWCpdUAAL7O.png).

It's still a bit basic and doesn't yet signify when there are rooms adjacent to the hallways. It is "3D" in the sense that doorways may take you up, down, left, right or even to a different floor, but from your perspective you will always be going horizontally(aside from the elements mentioned above).

Hope that clears things up! And yes we do plan to have hidden passages too :)

BGGHUri.gif

We're now 60% funded! Today we posted a new campaign update regarding Character Attributes and Stretch Goals. You can read it HERE.

Our previous update covered Character Classes, if you missed it you can find it HERE.

We're currently over 75% funded with 16 days remaining! Today's Kickstarter update revealed the 5th class to be implemented in the game: the Grappler.

Hey everyone, hope you all had a great weekend! Yesterday we hit 75% funding and are 3/4 of the way there with more than half of the campaign still yet to come! Your support has been incredible, so thank you again. As mentioned on the weekend, you’ve unlocked the first Social Reward by reaching 4 Social Goals, so without further delay, we present to you the Grappler class:

0kzRXLe.gif

Grapplers thrive in close quarters combat where their fists, mind & reflexes are both a shield and a weapon. While wearing only cloth armor can leave them somewhat vulnerable, they are masters at blocking and countering attacks, and when wounded can slip into a meditative trance to heal themselves.

Here are a few abilities that the Grappler possesses:

Crippling Force: The Grappler cuts through the air with his fist and hurls a shockwave towards his target, damaging and stunning them for 1 round

Three-Fisted Fury: The Grappler dashes forward towards his target and lands 3 lightning quick strikes. If the target dies during the assault, the Grappler dashes to the nearest enemy within range and repeats the ability.

Hurricane: The Grappler delivers a powerful roundhouse kick to the target, damaging and knocking them back 2 cells. Any enemies caught in the knockback are displaced and suffer damage.

Here are a few more updates from last week that I've yet to share here:

Update #8: New Overworld Music

Update #7: Damage, Resistances, Vulnerabilities and Conditions

Happy answer any questions as always :)

Hey everyone, today we've started digging into character progression, part 2 will be posted tomorrow! :)

Update #10
Now that we’ve discussed the main attributes that make up each character(if you haven't yet, go check out the earlier updates!), it’s time to cover character progression. In part one, we’ll be going over some different ways for your characters to progress: aging, leveling up and ranking up.

Since the game is open ended and multi-generational, your characters will grow older until they either retire or die. But a character’s age is not just a number, and it actually has an influence on their primary attributes too. Every attribute in the game has an age bracket where it’s considered at its peak, and your character’s attributes will shift accordingly every time they grow a year older.

For example, a character’s Dexterity would peak somewhere around 25 years old, but their Wisdom attribute would not hit its peak until 60. This also plays a small part in determining when your characters choose to retire. A rogue class could be recruited as young as 16 but may choose to retire before they hit 50. Conversely, finding a young mage might prove difficult, but the ones you do recruit would likely stick around well into their 70s. I’d also like to point out that this does not mean that a character is useless before and after their peak; it’s best to think of their peak as an added attribute bonus like this:

zpS0Vua.png

The other way for characters to progress is by leveling up. Every level-up grants a character one attribute point and one ability point for you to spend. I probably don’t need to explain attribute points very much, except to say that you are free to spend them on any primary attribute of your choosing.

Ability points have a bit more depth to them and really allow you to customize your classes. Each class has 6 abilities, and each one of those has its own mini skill-tree of augmentations. Each ability tree is unique unto itself, and various augmentation options are available such as increased range, additional targets, lowered cost and even added conditions(like stun, snare etc). With these trees, two characters of the same class could end up quite different from one another, with each specializing in different aspects of their kit. One could be all about raw power and maximizing the damage on their most expensive ability, while the other may be more useful in hindering enemies by focusing on augmenting their utility abilities.

MoBHxVg.png

W0U8xw7.gif

The last point to cover today is ranks and ranking up. There are 4 different ranks for a character to go through: Novice, Rookie, Veteran and Master(names subject to change). A Novice begins with 4 of the 6 class abilities available to them. Upon achieving the rank of Rookie they will earn a 5th, and becoming a Veteran will unlock the final ability. Once the rank of Master is achieved, that character is then able to become a mentor to another character of the same class. A mentor is able to pass on some of their more positive traits to their apprentice, in addition to boosting the rate at which they earn XP.

Tomorrow in part two, we’ll cover some of the other ways that a character’s stats can be temporarily or permanently altered: Traits, Injuries & Illnesses. Hope you enjoyed the write-up, and as always we encourage you to drop a comment below and let us know your thoughts; we’d be happy to discuss things further!

Thank you for reading and for your support. We're in the final 2 weeks now, and with under $10k to go we hope things can continue smoothly!

Back
Top Bottom