• Divinity: Dragon Commander

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
Staff Member
So, I'm sick at home and bored, hence the thread. Often when its GOTY time, people complain that they've only played a fraction of the games and many say it would be nice to vote the RPG of the year one or two years afterwards. Now is your chance.

Here is the list of the top 10 GOTY winners for 2013:

1 Shadowrun Returns (Dead Mans's Switch)
2. Expeditions: Conquistadors
3. Baldur's Gate EE
4. X-Com:Enemy Within
5. Path of Exile
6. Avadon 2
7. Bioshock Infinite
8. Driftmoon
9. Divinity: Dragon Commander
10. Mars War Log.

Not on the list, but what IMO were good or very good games were also

Paper Sorcerer
Drox Operative
Van Helsing
Eador: Master of the Broken World.
Space Rangers HD

At the time I had played only one of the above. Now I have played all of the above games except Bioshock:Infinite and Driftmoon.

Enemy Within was a great add on, but I am loath to vote for addons, and I think it did so well, because few people had played many of the games that year. My list in 2017 with 20/20 Hindsight would be:

1. Expedition Conquisitidors
2. Paper Sorcerer
3. Shadowrun Returns.
4. Mars: War Log
5. Eador: MTBW

Wow, that was a bad year for RPGs..

I voted for BG: EE, simply because it lead me to replay BG1 and 2 several times. That's a lot of high quality gaming hours.

Well for classical rpgs at least. Drox Operative, Van Helsing, and POE were all good Hack & Slay games imo, and Expedition, Space Rangers, X-Com, and Eador all quite good SRPGs. Paper Sorcerer was a good small dungeon crawler. Bioshock, a FPS/RPG hybrid.

Have you played much from that year other than BG:EE?

I still voted Shadowrun, but only because Space Rangers and BG we're only touchups and not new games. Space Rangers 2 is one of my all time favourites, bloody awesome game. As is Eador, oh the hours spent on that one. But also a remake and thus not GOTY in my book.

Last edited:
Eador might be a remake, but I'd never even heard of it until it made its appearance it 2013, but that might just mean it wasn't really present where I lived. I'm not sure how much of a market the original game had outside of Easter Europe. My first exposure with Space Rangers was also about this time, though that at least I remember being on Amazon.

Eador might be a remake, but I'd never even heard of it until it made its appearance it 2013, but that might just mean it wasn't really present where I lived. I'm not sure how much of a market the original game had outside of Easter Europe. My first exposure with Space Rangers was also about this time, though that at least I remember being on Amazon.

True, my first contact with Eador was also then. Ok, I'll blame the several minute long waits between turns in the end game and some pretty gamebreaking bugs for not naming it Goty instead then. Still loved it though. But Shadowrun was one of the first Kickstarters that delivered a good and focused experience, although both of the successor titles does it even better.

I have all the Shadowruns and haven't even started them yet. One day.. one day...

Same here, I own all the new Shadowruns but they're all still waiting for a new laptop. I was going to buy one this time last year but a new car purchase demotivated me to spend money on a currently non-essential luxury (still a few games left in that old laptop's backlog).

I also own Avadon 2 but not played it as of yet as I am still recovering from a recent batch of Vogel games. Later this year though…

Of the list I've played Path of Exile thoroughly, though I'm loathe to vote for an on-line multiplayer when I don't usually play them and reject the idea of promoting them alongside polls that could add value to single player games. I did enjoy my time in PoE, but not in the same way I enjoy single player games. Just a time filler.

I played Paper Sorcerer but, again, would struggle to vote for it as although I enjoyed a single run I have no desire to replay it and its incredibly short and, like PoE, it wasn't the same kind of enjoyment I get from more regular RPGs.

Ask me again next year.

Also, quite surprised Driftmoon is the one you haven't played, apparently its incredibly short and mostly just reading. Also, Bioshock shouldn't even be an option IMO, but he-ho.

Same here, I own all the new Shadowruns but they're all still waiting for a new laptop. I was going to buy one this time last year but a new car purchase demotivated me to spend money on a currently non-essential luxury (still a few games left in that old laptop's backlog).

I also own Avadon 2 but not played it as of yet as I am still recovering from a recent batch of Vogel games. Later this year though…

Of the list I've played Path of Exile thoroughly, though I'm loathe to vote for an on-line multiplayer when I don't usually play them and reject the idea of promoting them alongside polls that could add value to single player games. I did enjoy my time in PoE, but not in the same way I enjoy single player games. Just a time filler.

I played Paper Sorcerer but, again, would struggle to vote for it as although I enjoyed a single run I have no desire to replay it and its incredibly short and, like PoE, it wasn't the same kind of enjoyment I get from more regular RPGs.

Ask me again next year.

Also, quite surprised Driftmoon is the one you haven't played, apparently its incredibly short and mostly just reading. Also, Bioshock shouldn't even be an option IMO, but he-ho.

Yeah, well. That sort of description (for Driftmoon) doesn't really appeal to me. I don't particularly like visual novel games. I didn't like The Banner Saga or Unrest all that much. Also the visuals and everything else I've seen of the game didn't really appeal to me either. I've considered buying it a couple of times, but I've always found something that interested me more.
I agree with you 100% for Bioshock. I played the first game, and wouldn't have considered it an rpg (it removed pretty most of what I considered to be the rpg elements from System Shock), but hey, I didn't assemble the list.
The first Shadowrun is definitely the worst (imo). I think the other two are much better, as they seem to have learned from their mistakes. Still its probably worth playing if you don't go in with too high of expectations.

Still voting for Shadowrun Returns with Expeditions: Conquistador as a close runner-up. Although in terms of mechanics SRR pales in comparison to Dragonfall DC, it is still good fun just too short and linear. Admittedly I haven't played several of the games mentioned at all, but am pretty sure I wouldn't like most of them.

Firstly BG EE was released in 2012, that's BG2 EE that's been released in 2013.

Secondly too many obviously non RPG in lists, it makes no sense.

Thirdly a rehash like the EE has nothing to do in such list, so SRR beats BG2 or even BG1? Ridiculous, I like SRR, but it's just cloonesque.

Fourthly, I identified Driftmoon as an adventure game, could be a RPG so I'll check, at least not a pointless thread despite all the non sense. But frankly I feel I'll check for nothing and that Driftmoon is only an adventure game.

We all know the definition of RPG was never defined properly and encompasses a range of games.

Personally I don't think all of these are RPGs either but it doesn't bother me.

I can't play some games people here rave about such as the witcher and even baldurs gate due to the combat.

They may be amazing but I really dislike the combat styles for both of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also wouldn't call some of the games on the list rpgs, but I went back and used the official RPGWatch GOTY 2013 thread:

https://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=232

I would also agree Baldur's Gate is better than any of these, but I also wouldn't vote for a rehashed classic.

+1 but I admit that arguing can lead me admit BG1 is very flawed too and I have a large part of subjectivity about it. But anyway 2013 it's BG2 EE, not BG1, and also 2013 was rather weak.

We all know the definition of RPG was never defined properly and encompasses a range of games.

Personally I don't think all of these are RPGs either but it doesn't bother me.

I can't play some games people here rave about such as the witcher and even baldurs gate due to the combat.

They may be amazing but I really dislike the combat styles for both of these.
The problem is not be clear, GOTY of games and rehash with RPG elements is fine for me.

But XCOM has nothing to do in a RPG list and BG2 even EE not more in a 2013 list.

GOTY 2013 for games and rehash with RPG elements is an interesting case, let's try:
- XCOM with Enemy Within (it's the extension that made it major)
- Baldur's Gate 2 EE (yep beat by XCOM, shame on me, he he)
- Path of Exile
- Shadowrun Returns
- Bioshock Infinite
- Expeditions Conquistador
- Tomb Raider (sigh)
- Avadon 2

Can't even find 10, I quote I never played Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster. I should really find a way to overcome my repulsion about JRPG. Last attempt was FF Tactics, amazing game until I ended vomit it because of the grinding.

Final Fantasy X is an interesting game, I am playing it now. I also played FF3 and 5 the last 2 years, since its been a real long time since I played FF2 on the Nintendo. FFX reminds me of the newer Bioware games. There are lots of cutscenes, and the gameplay is much more limited than in the older games. Exploration is almost non-existent. Its nicely done for what it is, but if you have to play a JRPG, play Legends of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Its an excellent JRP (if you can stomache the graphics) and an all around crpg, with exploration, character development, and story, and not a movie with some gameplay.

Just started Avadon 2 and I have to say I'm quite enjoying it so far.

Paper Sorceror for me. A really nice little game, I was surprised by it. Baldurs Gate would win hands down, but whilst I thought the EE was fine I'm not sure I could vote for it as game of the year. And I suspect Avadon 2 would be good but I haven't played it.

Final Fantasy X is an interesting game, I am playing it now. I also played FF3 and 5 the last 2 years, since its been a real long time since I played FF2 on the Nintendo. FFX reminds me of the newer Bioware games. There are lots of cutscenes, and the gameplay is much more limited than in the older games. Exploration is almost non-existent. Its nicely done for what it is, but if you have to play a JRPG, play Legends of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Its an excellent JRP (if you can stomache the graphics) and an all around crpg, with exploration, character development, and story, and not a movie with some gameplay.

I'm also playing FFX (remaster) now, but I prefer it much more than Trails in the Sky, but I understand that's my personal opinion because I'm not much into exploration, like at all, so that 'advantage' is moot with me, so then the production values of FFX win it for me.

Back
Top Bottom