The Waylanders - Preview @ Gameffine

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Yemeth has taken a look at the Early Access version of The Waylanders and feels it has gone into early access to early.

With that out of the way, it's time for some Real Talk. Over the years, the term Early Access has been subjected to a hefty amount of ridicule and suspicion. It has become a hive of unfinished projects and asset flips. While The Waylanders is not either of those things, it probably magic missile-d itself in the face by going public with this build. To me, Early Access is an opportunity for the devs to present a 'functional' slice of their project and to build a supportive community that will play a big hand in the development ahead. With Early Access, the first impression is often the most important phase and could make or break your game.

Frankly, I think Gato Salvaje has a solid vision laid out for the game. On paper and on the Steam page, The Waylanders sounds like a game that every Bioware fan could fall in love with: a unique setting, a story written by industry veterans, music composed by Inon Zur, and party-based tactical combat. Sadly, the Early Access version of the game does a poor job of selling The Waylanders to the public. The Waylanders is currently just an alpha build at this stage. The fact that the developer openly declares it doesn't make you like the game any better. Transparency is good and all, but it's not ready for the storefront yet.
More information.

I hope there's a bigass launch day update :disappointed:

I hope putting alpha version up doesn’t mean they are broke and desperate for money.

TBH, when I first heard about this I was very interested, but almost everything I've seen since has reduced that interest.

Reminder, this is the "developer" who never completed their last Kickstarter game (AR-K). After zero communication with their backers for 3 years, they mysteriously posted an update saying it would be finished soon (which coincidentally was sent shortly before their Kickstarter for Waylanders was launched). It has now been a couple years, they still haven't completed AR-K and haven't posted any additional updates for it. I suspect the reason they went to Early Access now is that they've burned through all of their funds. Like AR-K, I doubt Waylanders will ever be completed to anyone's satisfaction. Hate to say I told you so, but I did try to warn people.

Back
Top Bottom