Solasta - Spring Update on March 25

Did they update face models or is it at least in list of their future patch plans?

I find Solasta graphics really pretty excluding face models :/
No idea :-/

They've already improved it a little bit in one of the last updates, but it's not that great close up. They still need to add a bit of variety so they may decide to revamp everything at the same time, but I wouldn't count too much on it.

I didn't even notice after a while though, you get used to it.

The whole idea of having cinematic dialogs in this game is questionable, frankly. I'd rather have old-fashioned dialogs in a good ol' dialog box that you can scroll back, and replies that you can select from the numeric keyboard, with the usual so-called "isometric" view and ugly polygonal faces safely hidden.

The whole idea of having cinematic dialogs in this game is questionable, frankly. I'd rather have old-fashioned dialogs in a good ol' dialog box that you can scroll back, and replies that you can select from the numeric keyboard, with the usual so-called "isometric" view and ugly polygonal faces safely hidden.

Yeah I agree with you - I wouldn't be so upset with face models being... "unpleasant" if it wasn't for the cut scene dialogue system.

I understand that this probably doesn't bother many fans but it sure bugs me :/

Yeah I agree with you - I wouldn't be so upset with face models being… "unpleasant" if it wasn't for the cut scene dialogue system.

I understand that this probably doesn't bother many fans but it sure bugs me :/
I asked during today's twitch, they said they were going to replace the worst-looking faces, those which are OK will not change :) They're a small studio so we shouldn't expect AAA quality either, but they're getting better at it, it may still be improved later.

It won't be in the Spring update yet, so we'll see on release I guess.

I'm looking forward to more encounters. I find the vertical maps to be overdone and hope they tamp that down a bit. I'd like some nice flat encounters to balance out the goofy 4 story fights.

I agree 100%. I enjoy the vertical encounters but it seems like they are showing off and I would like there to be a 50-50 balance.

I agree 100%. I enjoy the vertical encounters but it seems like they are showing off and I would like there to be a 50-50 balance.

I don't even think it should be 50-50 tbh. I'd be just fine with around 25% of the encounters using heavy verticality.

None of them bothered me in particular. Like crpgnut, I just feel like they're overdoing it somewhat. Use the verticality to mix things up not as the norm.

Huh? Every map in the EA version has verticality. The cave outside the fort, the fort itself, the tower next to the fort. Back to 3 level town. The outdoor area next to the library, the library itself, the exit map from the library. Each of these is 3 or more platforms. Not sure what game you played, but even the random outdoor encounters have creatures standing on boulders, a cliff, a raised hillock, etc.

Go to google images and type Solasta Maps. I suck at posting images and am also too lazy.

I mean it isn't Fallout 4 or Cyberpunk or Deus Ex levels but it's the lack of flat that makes it seem fake.

P.S. Still bought it and enjoyed it a bunch. No idea on BG3. Too much moolah for Larian's tripe.

Huh? Every map in the EA version has verticality. The cave outside the fort, the fort itself, the tower next to the fort. Back to 3 level town. The outdoor area next to the library, the library itself, the exit map from the library. Each of these is 3 or more platforms. Not sure what game you played, but even the random outdoor encounters have creatures standing on boulders, a cliff, a raised hillock, etc.

Go to google images and type Solasta Maps. I suck at posting images and am also too lazy.

I mean it isn't Fallout 4 or Cyberpunk or Deus Ex levels but it's the lack of flat that makes it seem fake.

P.S. Still bought it and enjoyed it a bunch. No idea on BG3. Too much moolah for Larian's tripe.
I'm not making my opinion from Google images, I've actually played the demo and the EA.

I guess it depends what you call "verticality". If you mean it's not completely flat, then yes, it has stairs and heights like any other game.

Places like the ruined tower, the fort of Caer Lem, the Dark Castle, the place with goblins and where you find Kythaela are in mountainous environment, so at the outside there are slopes, and sometimes there are cliffs on the border of the map, it wouldn't feel natural without that.

The outdoor of the library (ruined tower) have a couple scaffolds, yes. It naturally blends in the scenery since it's an excavation site in the middle of the mountains. But you don't have to climb them up and down, though.

The terrains of random encounters are similar to any other CRPG and pretty flat, if you can that a vertical puzzle then indeed, we are not playing the same game ;) Even Doom had more vertical features than that.

Then there are a few areas where they exploit the vertical dimension. The library is one, they went very creative for sure, it's a puzzle and it's a bit crazy. That's the example I showed in my preview, by the way. Sometimes there are high-placed enemies to ambush you, like when you escape the Soraks in Caer Lem IIRC.

It is one of their selling point, and they made it well known so it's hard to criticize - if you don't like that, just don't buy the game. After the demo, I thought they'd actually put more "3D rooms", but it's really not that frequent, they even removed the one of the demo. Most of the time, it's natural terrain, forts and dungeons.

I just don't see what the actual problem is with heights, sorry. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, to me it's actually funnier when it's not flat :)

I'm not making my opinion from Google images, I've actually played the demo and the EA.

I guess it depends what you call "verticality". If you mean it's not completely flat, then yes, it has stairs and heights like any other game.

Places like the ruined tower, the fort of Caer Lem, the Dark Castle, the place with goblins and where you find Kythaela are in mountainous environment, so at the outside there are slopes, and sometimes there are cliffs on the border of the map, it wouldn't feel natural without that.

The outdoor of the library (ruined tower) have a couple scaffolds, yes. It naturally blends in the scenery since it's an excavation site in the middle of the mountains. But you don't have to climb them up and down, though.

The terrains of random encounters are similar to any other CRPG and pretty flat, if you can that a vertical puzzle then indeed, we are not playing the same game ;) Even Doom had more vertical features than that.

Then there are a few areas where they exploit the vertical dimension. The library is one, they went very creative for sure, it's a puzzle and it's a bit crazy. That's the example I showed in my preview, by the way. Sometimes there are high-placed enemies to ambush you, like when you escape the Soraks in Caer Lem IIRC.

It is one of their selling point, and they made it well known so it's hard to criticize - if you don't like that, just don't buy the game. After the demo, I thought they'd actually put more "3D rooms", but it's really not that frequent, they even removed the one of the demo. Most of the time, it's natural terrain, forts and dungeons.

I just don't see what the actual problem is with heights, sorry. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, to me it's actually funnier when it's not flat :)
I agree it's fun but I think the other's point is that too much of a good thing can also be bad.

I understand that but my point is that there isn't too much of it ;) I just think we disagree on the definition of vertical.

Well, there is no right or wrong in this case, it's just a game. It's also a game we both enjoy. I'd just like to see some good old flat maps during combat to go with the chutes and ladders maps.

Vertically, I'm a shade under six feet. Horizontally, about the same :blush:

Yea this just confirms my impressions that they would go way overboard with the vertical aspect. I voiced this same concern a long time ago here when first seeing video impressions and the demo, they artificially make encounters involving a world where apparently flat land either doesn't exist or is rare…makes no sense.

And yes, this would be a big deal for me, (maybe even a game breaker) and reinforce the bad notion of an artificial playground-like world, and not a "real" atmosphere of a fantasy world based on some semblance of reality. It's things like this that ruin the atmosphere of games, at least for me.

You focus too much on the verticality thing, guys.

BTW did they release some screens or videos from that orcish land? I think that they stated that there will be some bigger orcish map.

Yea this just confirms my impressions that they would go way overboard with the vertical aspect. I voiced this same concern a long time ago here when first seeing video impressions and the demo, they artificially make encounters involving a world where apparently flat land either doesn't exist or is rare…makes no sense.

And yes, this would be a big deal for me, (maybe even a game breaker) and reinforce the bad notion of an artificial playground-like world, and not a "real" atmosphere of a fantasy world based on some semblance of reality. It's things like this that ruin the atmosphere of games, at least for me.

It's not that bad. The world in general is laid out realistically for the most part, and the level design is pretty solid imo.

I think they're doing a good job with the dungeons in particular. They look and feel like a dungeon should, and the interiors are quite detailed for a lower-budget game.

Pretty beefy update. It's challenging to avoid playing this but I really don't want to spoil the 1.0 release.

Pretty beefy update. It's challenging to avoid playing this but I really don't want to spoil the 1.0 release.

Same boat here. I decided to not play BG3 and Solasta before they are released so that I get the complete experience right away. And honestly, I still have so many released games on my wait list :)

I still haven't bought BG3. It's fairly expensive and I still hope there might be a sale, eventually.

And anyhow, we shouldn't have to wait much longer…

Next Update?

Aside from hotfixes, we've got our sight now locked onto the final 1.0 release. Keep an eye out for more information about our official launch date!

Back
Top Bottom