Divinity: Original Sin II - Review @ GameBanshee

I genuinely think the gearing thing is a bit of a drawback, and I mentioned it in my review. The characters remain almost static near the end, except for the huge leaps in gear, which essentially provides almost all the character progression in the final third. Level ups primarily mean something because vendors are re-stocked, now with 30-40% stronger items than they used to have.

That just feels off to me, and was one of few things I was hoping they'd address in a potential EE, but that doesn't look to be happening.

There's an active mod community though, and the mod that seriously reduces the bloated numbers sound like it's just what I want. I'm thinking about installing that one and see how it feels.

Aerth, as far as I can tell most people here seem to really like the game. That doesn't mean we can't discuss things that (for us) woukd make it even better? It's my GOTY anyway, but reducing the over the top exponential growth curves and toning down the item and vendor scaling along with some further balancing would make it my Game of the Decade.

Last edited:
There's an active nod community though, and the mod that seriously reduces the bloated numbers sound like it's just what I want. I'm thinking about installing that one and see how it feels.

Aerth, as far as I can tell most people here seem to really like the game. That doesn't mean we can't discus things that (for us) woukd make it even better? It's my GOTY anyway, but reducing the over three top exponential growth curves and toning down the item and vendor scaling along with some further balancing would make it my Game of the Decade.

Tomas, I have never criticized the 2 only guys on that thread who were saying basically: we have the game, we play it but we do not like that and this. Hell, that was why I came here.
What I was saying is than if you don't know the game and you read the dozen of threads you will think this game is pure shit. And while you do perfect valid points based on your experience most of the negative posts, and they are numerous are written by people who have not the game but have read reviews, think the game is bad because of a post on FB and so on and so on.

I had a lot of fun with this game and I think it still have lot of imperfections. Still it was fun.

I would never have bought the game based on what I read here. I did not like DOS1 and I would think it was basically the same.
And that for me means something is not ok anymore.

The rampant scaling combined with the no-holds-barred random loot itemization really knocks the game down a few pegs. I sincerely hope Larian reconsiders its stance on an EE; as it stands, I can't imagine myself replaying this in its current state despite my prior interest in doing so (before the fatigue of constantly regearing a party of four set in).

I have a theory: by aging, our patience wanes.
The less patience we have, the more grumpier we are.
And in effect we turn RPGWatch into RPGCodex v2. Can't wait for that!

/sarcasm

/sarcasm

Totally. Also, we are more impressionable in our youth. Quite a bit of research has gone into this actually, and most people will name favorites and similar from their teenage years, whether it's food, games, movies, books, music or whatever.

That being said: It's also a matter of having "more to compare to" - when you've played games for 30 years, you've seen pretty much all there is to see. Means it takes more to be impressed, or perhaps something entirely new.

Personally, I was blown away by how The Witcher 3 managed to deliver an almost cinematic, yet still player driven experience with lots of C&C over 100+ hours. That was new to me. That's pretty much the only example in recent years though.

@Aerth;, Alright, fair points. I do however not quite feel the negativity is as bad as you seem to think. Our official review by Maylander is positive, as is most threads about the game I've read. I've seen a couple of posters who didn't seem to enjoy the gameat all or found it to be lacking to much in aspects important to them, but I still say they are in the minority and often have valid points even if my experience differs, by no means is this a game everyone will like.

To me though, this is much closer to my view on the "perfect" RPG than say TW3, simply because I value interesting mechanics and turn based combat and a good dose of humour.

/sarcasm

First, that is not a theory but a thesis.

With age comes experience. Experience that helps to get right to the point. People might understand that showing patience toward something they know not to come is quite pointless.
No decrease in patience but enough insight not to wait for something that will not materialize.

/sarcasm

With me it's the opposite, at 62, I'm much more patient. Trying hard to be grumpy, but not very successful so far.

pibbur who hasn't played the game yet and has no opinion about it. All that may/will change in a couple of weeks.

PS. I do find most posts about the game here interesting, btw. DS.

Last edited:

/sarcasm

You seem impatient about something. You seem grumpy about something. I'd like to write a more interesting post but you haven't given me anything interesting to reply to. Perhaps if you talk about the game in hand then there will be more interesting stuff to talk about?

Could I interest either of you gentlemen in a fine, locally sourced pitchfork? Or this amazing, organic, GMO free torch?

Story is more for casual players, that's making video games more an entertainment product for a massive market.

BD bored me, DOS unbalanced the writing with an obsession for humor, but I don't see the problem with DD and D2.

The story is absolutely not for casual players, when you finally understand what is happening the story is darker than the other games, that said the ending can be "feel good" based on the ending i chose.

Back
Top Bottom