Hockey Playoffs 2009!

Props to Detroit, but I don't think I'd be bragging about that win given that ref's call with less than 2 minutes left. Everybody knew the Red Wings were the better team and were going to win the series, but that call was a complete joke and basically handed that game to the Red Wings. But props, they are definitely the better team and I hope they get another Stanley Cup.

I agree that The Anaheim Ducks of Los Angeles boast a good line up I didn't think they could step it up after the collapsing year they had, starting with Burke's flagrant irresponsibility in negotiating with TO as another team's GM. The irony of course is that Burkey wouldn't have got his "kick in the groin".

Also, SJ's tradition of flopping in the playoffs I think is done this year. They really are legit, especially with Dan Boyle backstopping them at the point. The writer of that dirty little book should have won the Vezina last year after all. We'll see.

That said about SJ I'd still wish them to lose. With HockeyMoTown winning their seies I believe Van could much more easily beat Cow Town or Chi Town/Second/Windy City.

In a hats off to Detroit as a team, the Colombus fans were classless tonight, after booing the the Wings instead of giving them a grudging salute. They didn't even stick around for a thank you to the BJ's for their first ever trip to the playoffs. Not good. I'd expect that from Cleveland. What other major sports teams are based there? The Buckeyes? Are they like that with other sports?

The caps don't surprise me. They have always been notorious chokers in the playoffs since their founding. This is a different team of course. But that simply means they have no depth this year - especially at D. They have 2 great players (Ove and Green), one really good player that gels and hits like a girl (Semin), and an aging veteran. That's it. They even had to toss their #1 goaltender. I don't like that they are losing but I'm not surprised.

Well at least Columbus put up a fight for one game. I actually fell asleep in the first period when Detroit was up 3-1 after the first 10 minutes, I woke up in the 3rd to find it at 5-5.

That last penalty was the result of pure stupidity by Fredrick Modin, and he did it right in front of the linesman. The Blue Jackets clearly had six men on the ice and there was no way that penalty wasn't getting called. Oh well, why delay the inevitable? ;)

I'm hoping we get to pound on the Ducks next.

GO RED WINGS!

yeah, last i saw it was 4-1 then that. Friend who wathed most of it said that Osgood was playing hurt.

Pretty bonehead move by whoever jumped on the ice too fast. Technially the refs give them 5 feet but they had to all that.

Looks like I'm going to get my wish regarding Detroit playing Anaheim in round 2. I really don't see San Jose winning 3 straight games vs the Ducks.

Poor ole Sharks, different year....same choke.

yeah, last i saw it was 4-1 then that. Friend who wathed most of it said that Osgood was playing hurt.

Pretty bonehead move by whoever jumped on the ice too fast. Technially the refs give them 5 feet but they had to all that.
Ken Kal mentioned that on the radio feed last night. I'm not sure what happened to Ozzy, but he should have a week or so to rest up.

Modin really blew it. I've seen guys skate right over top of a puck during a line change just to avoid this sort of thing. It was the right call, but I can understand Jacket fans being cheesed over it. I suppose it allows everyone to forget 12-2 in the first 3 games and focus on "getting screwed by the zebras".

I don't think they knew they were supposed to hang around to congratulate their team on a good season (which it was). They're new to this sort of thing. ;) Keep in mind that Ohio State is always in a bowl game, so the hometown fans don't ever get to show that "end of the season" support.

I agree that The Anaheim Ducks of Los Angeles boast a good line up I didn't think they could step it up after the collapsing year they had, starting with Burke's flagrant irresponsibility in negotiating with TO as another team's GM. The irony of course is that Burkey wouldn't have got his "kick in the groin".

Also, SJ's tradition of flopping in the playoffs I think is done this year. They really are legit, especially with Dan Boyle backstopping them at the point. The writer of that dirty little book should have won the Vezina last year after all. We'll see.

That said about SJ I'd still wish them to lose. With HockeyMoTown winning their seies I believe Van could much more easily beat Cow Town or Chi Town/Second/Windy City.

In a hats off to Detroit as a team, the Colombus fans were classless tonight, after booing the the Wings instead of giving them a grudging salute. They didn't even stick around for a thank you to the BJ's for their first ever trip to the playoffs. Not good. I'd expect that from Cleveland. What other major sports teams are based there? The Buckeyes? Are they like that with other sports?

The caps don't surprise me. They have always been notorious chokers in the playoffs since their founding. This is a different team of course. But that simply means they have no depth this year - especially at D. They have 2 great players (Ove and Green), one really good player that gels and hits like a girl (Semin), and an aging veteran. That's it. They even had to toss their #1 goaltender. I don't like that they are losing but I'm not surprised.

No need to diss Columbus as a sports town; it's one of the best in America, IMO. Also, while I didn't go to the Red Wings game, it looked to me on television that the fans gave a rousing standing ovation to the CBJ after the loss so I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say the fans left. Those seats looked pretty full to me when the team came out on center ice and thanked the fans. Oh, and folks are the same with the Buckeyes; we can be tough on coaches, but the players no matter the sport always get their props, and stereotyping fans in the city as 'classless' is a little over the top, IMO.

Last edited:
Heck of a game 5 going down right now between the Sharks and Ducks. Anaheim scored twice in the first 4:42 of the 3rd to tie it up....

*Edit* Sharks keep the series alive with a 3-2 overtime win...

Last edited:
It's bad karma to wish for injuries, so let's just root for that series to go 7 with 3 or 4 overtimes in each of the last couple games.

Markus, I called it like I saw it. My friend saw the same feed I did and said the same thing. I am willing to admit you and I may have seen different feeds. I respect the defense of your team and your city. I still say The level of anger was unnecessary IMO: almost the level of the Buffalo "no goal". If you prove me wrong and a majority of the fans stuck around for a salute and cheer their teams first real achievement, I'll gladly eat my words.

dte, I'm confused. who's wishing for injuries?

Looks like Washington's real problem was solved last night: Mike Green had the Flu the first few games and came on strong. NY suddenly looks like the Caps did in the first few games. Let's see what happens.

DirecTV lists the Chi/Cal game at 6:30 tonight on channel 665. It then says there is no channel 665. Good fun. I'll find out the hard way. Ducks and Sharks tonight too. Looks liek I'll be switching back and forth.

dte, I'm confused. who's wishing for injuries?
Potentially, JDR and me, since there's a decent chance we'll get the Quacks next.

And the East is set

Alexander the Great gets Savior Sid for an entire series--that should be fun. I wonder whom Bettman was rooting for--Rangers for the NYC television market, or Caps so Ovie could stick around. I'm guessing Rangers, since Ovie will distract from Sid's spotlight. Unfortunately, the Rangers biting the dust eliminated one of my prize ideas: Sean Avery's sloppy seconds.

So, our first round scores go as follows:
Geist: 17
Lucky: 16
dte: 16
GG: 11
corwin: 8 (bottom of the totem pole as usual, old man, outside of your one Miracle on Ice season a few years ago)

New Jersey getting beat like that in the final minute made my night. :evilgrin:

I actually had Carolina beating the Devils, I should have thrown my picks in....

Hey, if you can't be at one end, might as well be at the other!! :)

Alright then, folks. Let's get it on!

Here's the matchups for round 2:
Bruins vs Canes
Caps vs Sidney "If I Only Had a Hart" Crosby and some other guys
RED WINGS vs Quacks
Nucks vs Hawks

For the second round, pick the winner and the number of games, just like round 1. To keep the points per round half way close, we'll raise the stakes this round, which means the price for being wrong gets much higher. 4 points for the winner, 1 point for the games, and 2 bonus points for getting both.

Here's my entry:
Boston in 5
Pens in 6
Wings in 6
Nucks in 6

Bruins in 6
Caps in 5
Ducks in 7 (I still believe)
'Nucks in 5

Watching the Canes goals was amazing. Who would of thunk a sudden collapse at the end of the 3rd by NJ especially the way they stifled Carolina for that last half of the game.

The Federov goal was almost as amazing. Quite the story for a guy that was supposed have been finished several years ago. He seems to be for Ove what like Larionov was to Bure.

Kind of made up for missing that first period of the sharks ducks game.

Last edited:
Well, I don't think I'll gain much ground here, but:
Bruins 5
Pens 6
Wings 5
Vancouver 6

Geist and GG, Chicago and Vancouver are dropping the puck in half an hour. Need those predictions, folks!

Back
Top Bottom