Top 5 JRPGS for the PC

FF 7 has its moments, but I don't consider it a must-play or anything. The story is somewhat weird, and I'm pretty sure some things were lost in translation.

FF IV, V, and VI are all better imo. I'm not a big fan of the Steam version of FF IV though. It's a port of the Nintendo DS remake that replaced the original 2D sprites with somewhat rough 3D graphics. I'd recommend checking out Final Fantasy Chronicles which is a PS1 compilation containing FF IV and Chrono Trigger.

I actually realize I already bought part 4 in the Christmas Sale. I do like the art style of 5-6 better, I'll put part 5 on my wishlist too.

By JRPG are we talking about a particular style, or just of Japanses origin? If it's the former definition, than Dragon's Dogma is a pretty good choice. It's obviously western inspired however.

It's on my wishlist already. I hadn't thought of it for this thread, because I've already read tons about it and new I wanted to get it eventually.

Except putting VC and TitS on some the best list I can't think of more top5 jRPGs on PC.
The problem I have with jRPGs on PC is that I can find fast something that is getting on my nerves.

Even bigger problem is that many of these jRPGs on PC recommended by both critics and users (metacritic, steam reviews, etc) I couldn't hate more. Are people blind?
Take Dragon's Dogma for example. I can understand that game being a hit on phones. It took it's devs years to create "levels" of an openworld like Gothic had. But hell compared to that ancient Gothic on PC, where is camera rotation? Why is everything respawning? Why are there kill 8374568734685467326 rabbits quests? Why I can't save the game anywhere? Why the story feels like been there done that? Why are chests respawning? Why I have to visit the same area for 100th time just to solve a quest that made a new item to spawn somewhere? Etc.

I honestly believe developers of jRPGs live in some closed box and all they've ever seen were phonegames. Because they don't know better stuff exist they all compete over who'll put more boring filler in a game. Because all they ever see are phones, they're unaware of hardware that can do stuff phones can't. And because they never saw PC nor speak english, they think Backspace means Escape.
There are exceptions from that rule thank god, and two are up.

Yes, I'm utterly disappointed when it comes to jRPGs. I just can't believe a nation that had guts to make Hentai Kamen movie, Ichi the Killer and had Kurosawa, has different anime gems with unique exploration of existence, has totally crazy comics that redefine the world surreal like Uzumaki - when it comes to videogames, most of stuff they make are mediocre at best.
They just need to change something in their gaming industry.

I honestly believe developers of jRPGs live in some closed box and all they've ever seen were phonegames. Because they don't know better stuff exist they all compete over who'll put more boring filler in a game. Because all they ever see are phones, they're unaware of hardware that can do stuff phones can't. And because they never saw PC nor speak english, they think Backspace means Escape.

Well do keep in mind that Dragon's Dogma was made for PS3, and the base game is a few years old now. Console hardware ages faster than PC hardware, and they don't have the advantages we do on PC.

PS3 game though it is, I'm still glad we got a PC port of it. :)

I just can't believe a nation that had guts to make Hentai Kamen movie [...] - when it comes to videogames, most of stuff they make are mediocre at best.y.

It's also a nation that, when it comes to gameplay, made an institution out of pachinko. The combat in traditional JRPGs isn't designed to be exciting, it's designed to be lullingly repetitive in a way that becomes compulsive, and at that objective it's very successful.

Except putting VC and TitS on some the best list I can't think of more top5 jRPGs on PC.
The problem I have with jRPGs on PC is that I can find fast something that is getting on my nerves.

Even bigger problem is that many of these jRPGs on PC recommended by both critics and users (metacritic, steam reviews, etc) I couldn't hate more. Are people blind?
Take Dragon's Dogma for example. I can understand that game being a hit on phones. It took it's devs years to create "levels" of an openworld like Gothic had. But hell compared to that ancient Gothic on PC, where is camera rotation? Why is everything respawning? Why are there kill 8374568734685467326 rabbits quests? Why I can't save the game anywhere? Why the story feels like been there done that? Why are chests respawning? Why I have to visit the same area for 100th time just to solve a quest that made a new item to spawn somewhere? Etc.

Yes, I'm utterly disappointed when it comes to jRPGs. I just can't believe a nation that had guts to make Hentai Kamen movie, Ichi the Killer and had Kurosawa, has different anime gems with unique exploration of existence, has totally crazy comics that redefine the world surreal like Uzumaki - when it comes to videogames, most of stuff they make are mediocre at best.
They just need to change something in their gaming industry.

I'm going to hope that I can disagree with you. I tend to be like Fluent and seem to be able to enjoy a wide array of games despite their shortcomings, so I'll give some of the recommended entries a try, even if they can't measure up to Valkyria Chronicles or Trails in the Sky.

Final Fantasy VII has problems I've heard. Steam version randomly deletes the save files, I personally haven't played it for that reason on PC. I suppose it doesn't glitch for all people, but it's still a risk.
I went through the Steam forums and didn't see much on this. Mostly people swapping hard drives around. There might be some sort of issue if you keep switching between Steam Cloud and a real hard drive, too.

I'm going to hope that I can disagree with you. I tend to be like Fluent and seem to be able to enjoy a wide array of games despite their shortcomings, so I'll give some of the recommended entries a try, even if they can't measure up to Valkyria Chronicles or Trails in the Sky.

Then by all means grab The Last Remnant. He loved it, I hated it more than I can say.
I hated it because a brilliant idea, idea that could have defined a completely new genre, got ruined by other designs in the game.

I played it for 16 hours and am afraid I have to agree with you on the Last Remanent. I also thought the battle battalion concept was great. I also really disliked the main protagonist and some of the other weird design decisions.

I also liked Last Remnant a lot, some minor complaints I don't remember now but overall I remember liking it (my post-game analysis should be in these forums somewhere I think).

Well, Dark Souls is a J-RPG I guess, so you got a top three right there :D Aside from that Trails in the Sky games, and Final Fantasy Games... .hmm that is pretty much it I guess... Grandia 2 is pretty good too. I'll add if I remember more.

Geez I forgot completely, yes, Grandia 2!
It's design might not fit everyone's taste, but that music there will just carry you on.

The Y's series. Is there anyone which is easily playable with K+m?

Ys 1 & 2 are easy to play with a keyboard. Gameplay is like marmite though.

At first I thought you were making fun of the massive, eh, assets a lot of female characters have in games, until I realized that you meant Trails in the Sky…

As for best JRPGs on PC? Tough call. I personally could not get into Valkyria Chronicles, because the writing was so cringeworthy. Due to dialogues like this:
Main Character, when asked about what he wants to do (he wants to become a teacher, rather than a general)
-I want to give back, in my own way. My own way, you know what I mean?
Girl (possible love interest of the story?)
-I think I do. You sure about it?
-Mhm
-Wow, that's so deep.
I could not take the game seriously at all, and just gave up on it. People who don't mind such things seem to love it though. I'm quite enjoying Tales of Zestiria (but do not watch the intro, it has massive late game spoilers), the Ys series (more action adventure than JRPG though) and Skyborn.

Then by all means grab The Last Remnant. He loved it, I hated it more than I can say.
I hated it because a brilliant idea, idea that could have defined a completely new genre, got ruined by other designs in the game.

I thought the main issue with the game was that they had all these different mechanics, that supposedly could give a lot of depth to the gameplay, and then did not explain even the basics of the game, forcing you to read up on how the game actually works on fan sites and forums online. Things like that should be contained within the game. And there are mechanics that even those who have done extensive testing don't understand, meaning that you can't really make proper informed decisions.

I got'cha covered on the Last Remnant, Fnord: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113566410

And yeah, a lot of stuff definitely should have been explained better in the game. But as long as it's explained, who cares who's doing it? (Plus, since I wrote it, it counts as reading this forum not reading a guide. ;))

Geez I forgot completely, yes, Grandia 2!
It's design might not fit everyone's taste, but that music there will just carry you on.
Eeesh, that music was awf… <ahem> was not a good fit for my own tastes.

I got'cha covered on the Last Remnant, Fnord: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113566410

And yeah, a lot of stuff definitely should have been explained better in the game. But as long as it's explained, who cares who's doing it? (Plus, since I wrote it, it counts as reading this forum not reading a guide. ;))

Well, you seem to have a passion for the game Zloth, maybe I'll give it a try again someday.

I played Remnant without much knowledge and still had a ton of fun with it. You kind of learn some tricks as you go.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

I played Remnant without much knowledge and still had a ton of fun with it. You kind of learn some tricks as you go.

I played it for just over 4 hours, and it felt like I was not actually making any decisions the entire time. I was pushing buttons and won combat. It felt like the combat was really "easy" to make up for the player not know what was actually going on.

I think I won't actually have the willpower to actually play the game again. The game was never "hard", in fact as far as I got, I had no problems what so ever winning combat, it was just that the way I won combat was no better than me just hammering buttons with no ideas what the buttons were actually doing.

Combat is far from easy as you progress further. The game gets harder but as you learn more of what is going on in combat, it gets much better.

Some of the later large scale battles and boss fights are really cool.

And once you unlock later upgrades and features, man. Combat gets wicked cool, IMO.

In the first four hours the battles are easy. Actually, probably for the first 10 hours or so they are easy. It's a very different combat system so starting off hard would have been really rough!

Back
Top Bottom