UFO2: Extraterrestrials - Reaching Finishing Line

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Kordanor spotted that UFO2:Extraterrestrials will finally be released:

UFO2Extraterrestrials: Battle for Mercury

• A fully 3D game combining real-time global strategy & air combat with turn-based tactical missions
  • A turn-based "I-Go-You-Go" tactical squad-based game system
  • Interactive environments with destructible terrain
  • A large number of technologies, weapons, and combat units to develop
  • A large number of aliens to interrogate
  • Strong RPG elements where soldiers' stats improve with experience
  • Dynamic lighting for intense fire-fights
  • Final Gameplay design and balance tweaks by the author of the popular original UFO: ET Bman Ease of Use Mod
You can watch the teaser and the ingame trailer (starts at 4:40) over here at MetalCanyons Channel:

More information.

For a game that's been in development for over a decade, I can't say I'm too impressed by what I'm seeing there.

This trailer was largely useless - I'll be watching it and hoping it's better than it looks.

And if somehow they steal the opening theme from the television series, not only will I buy it on day one, I'll play the entire thing with audio enabled! That UFO theme was seriously groovy.

I don't have anything to base this on, but one hope and also concern is, that the game took that long due to featurecreep.

Concern because it might end up a bit like the teaser/intro. It's a 4 minute thing, you can see that tons of work went into it, and they must have thought "and now this additional scene would be cool", and it got longer and longer...and now the final thing is kinda bloated and within the 4 minutes almost nothing happens.

Hower in terms of gameplay this can also be a good thing for us as players. Some things are super cool in games but which make no sense from financia standpoint. Take Jagged Alliance Series for example where over 60 Characters were voiced. A normal player will not even experience 10% of that. So ideally there would be a lot of "would be cool to have" things really fleshed out in the game. Of course there is the danger of it being bloated with that, but lets hope for the best.

Looking forward to it, could be very interesting.

The 90's called, they'd like their music score and graphics engine back please. Wouldn't look out of place in the app store.

Actually I loved the few seconds when the Geoscape soundtrack played. Thats soundtrack is just amazing. ^^

Here is the one from the first game, still listening to it now and then.

Back
Top Bottom