Tales of Arise - Review @ Fextralife

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Fextralife reviews Tales of Arise.

Tales of Arise Review: Is the Hype Worth It? Should You Play it? Gameplay Impressions In this Tales of Arise Review, we're going to be taking a look at the 17th main entry to the Tales series and what this Action-RPG has to offer. Tales of Arise is a part of the popular JRPG series of games that follows up the previous title Tales of Berseria. This is not a sequel or continuation so you don't have to worry about not having played any of the other Tales titles when it comes to story, but you will find some familiarity in the gameplay systems if you have.

[...]

Timestamps:

• 0:00 - The Ascent Review
  • 0:24 - Story & Setting
  • 1:41 - Gameplay
  • 5:37 - Audio and Visuals
  • 6:25 - Final Thoughts
  • 7:36 - Summary and Score
More information.

Lovely looking game, might be the next thing I play.

I'm winding now from Pathfinder and catching up on work, but what I'll play next is between Encased and this.

Sounds very unlike Symphonia, so I'll likely be steering away from this one. I'll be curious to see what people here think of it, should anyone prove bolder than I.

It is pretty with fun combat and interesting characters (although most seem to be a bunch of racists in the beginning - I'm expecting that'll change).

The story pushes you through, and it feels a solid 8/10. I'm about 15-20 hr in, and still in Chapter 2.

Main downsides are that it feels a bit... superficial? I can't quite put my finger on it, but other Tales games felt like they had more depth/systems. Dungeons are poor, in that there's little/no interactivity or interesting mechanics - just small mazes (corridors really) with enemies and a boss.

There's no overworld - all maps connect together. This is OK - overworld was always a bit of a cop-out to avoid having to intricately design a whole world of level art. However, the levels are small and have load screens at each end, which makes the world feel lumpy and compact.

To be fair, the game's lore does go some way to explaining why (for example) the hero has never been to the village that is (almost) literally 100 yards down the road, but it is odd seeing these graphically impressive vistas that show a big world, when each area is so compact. I suspect I've been spoiled by the Xenoblade games.

Sidequests are present, adequate even. The owls are fun, and finding the owl forest gave me a bit of what I was missing previously.

I'm playing back-to-back with Ys 9, and what is telling is that Ys 9 seems to have much more heart and feeling. Arise has *much* better gfx/tech, but Ys (despite a setting which doesn't inspire me) feels full of warmth and joy. Arise feels a bit soulless in comparison.

BUT, I'm still enjoying it, and each party member is genuinely different and unique. There's plenty of play here, and so far I've found new/interesting stuff each time I have played, so as I say, a solid 8. But equally, I'm not seeing the fairy-dust that made Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia and Xillia so strong.

That was quick.

Tales of Arise has surpassed 1 million shipments and digital sales, 25 million units for the entire franchise.

Bandai Namco has announced that Tales of Arise has surpassed 1 million shipments and digital sales, becoming the fastest-selling entry in the history of the series. Additionally, the publisher has announced that the 'Tales of' series as a whole has surpassed 25 million units. Bandai Namco cites localizing the game into 11 text languages and its simultaneous worldwide release as key factors for its success.

As a point of comparison, Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition took about two years to reach 1 million units after its release in January 2019.

The official Japanese Twitter account for the Tales series has also provided a few more sales updates for the franchise.

• Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition has sold 1.5 million units, with all Tales of Vesperia sales combined reaching 2.88 million. This might place it as the best-selling game in the series now, for the time being.
  • Tales of Berseria has reached 2 million units sold.

When we look at recently revealed sales rankings for the series as a whole, the top three selling Tales of entries (as of March 2021) were:
  1. Tales of Symphonia – 2.4 Million
  2. Tales of Vesperia – 2.37 Million [now at 2.88 million thanks to today's update]
  3. Tales of Destiny – 1.72 Million

It's looking likely that come the holiday season are continuing sales, Tales of Arise should fare quite well against its predecessors. If you're still on the fence, check out our review of this latest entry.

I'm pleased and somewhat astonished that Symphonia performed that well, sometimes I feel like I'm the only person that enjoyed that game. And man, do I wish the last few Tales games were done in the same style.

Back
Top Bottom