device disconnecting, connecting, disconnecting ...

P

pibbur who

Lately I'm a bit annoyed with Guernica, my main computer. It's noisy! Lots of system sounds. Sometimes every minute, sometimes 10 or twenty minutes in between. It's the sound used to signal "Device Disconnect" followed by "Device Connect".

I can of course disable the sounds, but I would like to know what's causing them. I've opened the device manager, and it refreshes when this occurs, but I can't find any information telling me who I can sue. Not much help in the event logs either.

pibbur who is not happy and whothreatens to spend the money he'll get for his upcoming 60 years birthday replacing the machine with a shiny, faster and hopefully more well-behaved thing.

Technical stuff:
Intel I7 920, NVidia 570, 12Gb RAM, enough disk capactity to run win7 sp1 ultimate 64 bit. MMX and several MMO's are installed.

One more thing: I'm operating the maching through a KVM switch. But there are no mouse lag or keyboard problems, and none of the other three machines served by it complain.

USB port (or more of them) farted.
Try to plug USB devices in other ports (i7 CPU thus I hope you bought noncheap motherboard with at least 6 USB 3.0 plugs).

Dunno what's KVM switch.

I suspect it's one of the USB ports. I'll try disconnecting devices one by one.

A KVM (Keyboard, video, mouse) switch is a device I can use to control two or more macnines (I have 4) using one keyboard, one mouse and one monitor. Very practical.

I've used several of them, and they work very well (as long as you avoid the very cheap ones). Only exception so far: Logitech devices have lacked support. Some have worked, some didn't.

pibbur

Back
Top Bottom