VtM: Bloodlines - High Poly Patch

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@rpgcodex Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines now has a new patch which fixs a LOD (level of detail) issue in the game. With the patch the game will always use high poly models.

Anyway, I just re-installed Bloodlines a couple of days back after watching that cringy love letter video on YouTube. It's still the best shit game, I love it. However, there's a jarring issue all too apparent on modern systems. It has a Half-Life 2 style LOD (level of detail) system in place, basically models (both NPC and static) start rapidly losing polygons as you move a few steps away from them. Everything constantly switches between low poly and high poly (each model has 5 versions in total). Like that cop going down the road starts with a buttonless shirt and then his shirt suddenly has buttons as he moves closer to you.
[…]

tl;dr HOW TO INSTALL

DIY:
Open engine.dll in a hex editor. Change 0x01 to 0x00 at 0xA6791. (OR you can do it in memory with Cheat Engine or something, the address is 0x200A6791)

Download:
This is a pre-patched engine.dll from Wesp5 patch 9.6. Put it to your \bin folder.
More information.

I wonder how many people I would have to actually punch before they realised and made a sequel to this game >:O Maybe if I just started assaulting people at random, word might get out that I'm really serious about this.

I wonder how many people I would have to actually punch before they realised and made a sequel to this game >:O Maybe if I just started assaulting people at random, word might get out that I'm really serious about this.

There is no chance a sequel is going to be as good as it is going to be made for modern kids full of stupid shit kids today enjoy.

I don't know - if Kyrer starts wandering around at night and biting random people, he might be able to get something going.

Why didn't they just change the scale for LoD activation? Instead they go with the poor performance option.

This is actually one the best games I've ever played. A true masterpiece. It's a shame it was released too early, and that there will probably never be a true sequel.

There is no chance a sequel is going to be as good as it is going to be made for modern kids full of stupid shit kids today enjoy.
Clearly you are confused or aren't paying attention. Did you know, all the owners work for Obsidian except one, who works for them as a contractor. Also, many past employees both management and tech, work for Obsidian. Did you also know the Vampire/White Wolf franchise rights were just sold, within the last year? Oh and the new owner is looking for someone to make a new Vampire game. :mwahaha:

Clearly you are confused or aren't paying attention. Did you know, all the owners work for Obsidian except one, who works for them as a contractor. Also, many past employees both management and tech, work for Obsidian. Did you also know the Vampire/White Wolf franchise rights were just sold, within the last year? Oh and the new owner is looking for someone to make a new Vampire game. :mwahaha:

I think his point is that the gameplay might be much different if a sequel were made today, i.e. it's going to be more of what's going on in gaming today. I happen to agree with that to an extent. Maybe I'm pessimistic about sequels/remakes of classic RPGs, but I think making a game like VtM:B or Arcanum is just a very tall task for any developer today, in more ways than one. Those games are not only incredibly unique (even compared to what was happening in their day), but also more complex in some ways than RPGs are, even today.

That said, I loved PoE, Wasteland 2 was great and I have very high hopes for PoE 2, Bard's Tale IV and Wasteland 3. :)

You misunderstood as Fluent pointed.

Also Obsidian already said they are not working on new Vampire game and nobody knows Paradox will use the Vampire licence they bought to make Bloodlines 2.

Y'all might be correct, I misunderstand. Personally my point was it's the same people for the most part and I think your point was it can't be done in today's business environment. Of course we aren't even talking about the state of the games at release, just the 'quality of and intent of the game'.

As mentioned teams like Obsidian and inXile are intentionally bringing those style and substance games to release. So, afaik that is most of your point. Now if your saying they will never be as good, I'd argue you aren't in a position to know, no offense. Even if Obsidian and inXile never make a game as good as Arcanum or Bloodlines, you might be right but once again you might be wrong. If it's possible, then who else but the same people who made those specific games could do it again.

Obsidian can't say if they are working on it or not, if it's in the contract. Hell, they might be required to say, "we are not working on it". There's no way in hell Paradox isn't going to make another Bloodlines game. It's the most successful vampire game made and the team who made it is looking for work, correct? Paradox are clearly not dumb, they just wrangled one of the biggest and longest running game franchises in history. Clearly not to be set on the mantle.

I think Silver should have gone with... :celebrate:
Holy, High Poly Patch!

Nonsense. Plenty of modern games are well designed with astounding level of detail and recognized for it, by fans and critics...take Witness for instance.
Far more likely people would highlight the negatives above all else, vice versa for older titles. Like with Malkavian dialogue: 75% of it was rubbish, but only "funny lines" are remembered.
VtM is a good and unique game, but also comes with a mountain of issues.

Back
Top Bottom