Your favorite graphic novels

Nameless one

Wizzard
Are there any fans of comic/graphic novels(whatever you like to call then) on Watch?Which are you favorites?Here are some of mine:

Transmetropolitan- Set in 23rd century, main character is investigative reporter and columnist by profesion and violent, mad bastard by trade.Bunch of good humor and satire.
Saga-Still ongoing series.Mix of sci-fi and fantasy with beautiful illustrations.It's weird series and any mine explenation wouldn't do it justice so just check it online.
Sandman-Everyone is already heard about this one.Yes it's good as people sa, mostly.Series does have few low point.
Fables-If you played Telltale's game Wolf among us you might get wrong impression since comic is nothing like that, it's far better.
Three shadows-Not series but one grapic novel about couple trying to save their son.Art style takes some getting used to but once you do it becomes key part.
Locke and key-After their father getting murdered family moves in house that is not what first appears.

I really like such a things, but I don't have much time with it these days. I used to follow unicorn jelly a long time ago, kind of funny, if you have time you can check it out. It is a bit outdated now and probably not the best, but it contains many references to a lot of things and I had quite some laughs reading it.

I haven't read enough of them to be a fan but I liked watchmen and I bought the sandman. Sandman started out really well but I have yet to complete my collection. I have upto volume 5 where it seems to lose focus a bit (at least I can't see the larger storyline anymore). I might check out Fables, I like the atmosphere in TWAU.

Beside these classics, I always wondered what the fascination of US teenagers is with these typical superhero DC and Marvel comics (spiderman, superman, batman, etc.). I like 'European' comics more in that regard, maybe because I grew up with it. :) Thorgal is probably my favorite. You also have XIII, Largo Winch, Kuifje (Tintin) and Blake and Mortimer to cite the more serious ones.

Beside these classics, I always wondered what the fascination of US teenagers is with these typical superhero DC and Marvel comics (spiderman, superman, batman, etc.)..

Don't mix Batman with those guys he is actually good.The killing joke is easily among my top 20 graphic novels, he is also guest star in some other very good novels(Alan Moore's Swamp thing and Gaiman's Black orchid for example).Rest of the series might not be top material but but it's spearhead above the most of superhero comics(I am talking about from when Frank Miler took over)

Also I forgot to add Calvin and Hobbes and Serenity to my favorite list.

First one is about hyperactive 6 year old and it's hilarious.
Second is based on tv show firefly and move Serenity, most of it takes place between movie and the show and last volume continues story after the movie, series is still ongoing.

If this thread is about comics, my #1 is Incal.
Nothing can come even close to that thing.

Sure, there are plenty of stuff out there I'll call a masterpiece as are still brilliant works, but Incal is an unique experience that pwns them all.

Well for comics, Pondus it is super funny, not sure if people outside of the nordic countries can understand it though, it builds a lot upon nordic culture.

I have a soft spot for Enki Bilal's stuff. I also love the brand-new Codex Roboticus by Jens Maria Weber.

Is there a good place (cheap) to buy comics ? I dont like to read on a screen, not until there are color e-ink devices. And physical copies are so expensive. Up to 20 euro for just one episode.

Is there a good place (cheap) to buy comics ? I dont like to read on a screen, not until there are color e-ink devices. And physical copies are so expensive. Up to 20 euro for just one episode.

From my experience I would say no.If you're lucky you can find used ones in good condition online or in store( stores for used books are your best bet) for good price.
Even than the tend to cost more than average new hardback book.

My advice.Give reading on screen another shot It's lot easier to read comics on screen than books. It's lot cheaper that way.

Only 2 :

- Bone
- Akiko (which is not a Manga despite its name)

Yesterday, however, (German Free Comic Book Day), I've been reading one strange tale by one Leweis Trondheim. He surely is able to tell weird tales, quite dark ones. He made a series called "Donjon", and this was some kind of spin-off I had been reading.

Another revelation I had was a comic inspired by THe Labvyrinth movie (by Jim Henson). I'll take a look out for it.

And apart from that - the usual suspects : Asterix, Lucky Luke, Tintin ...

I really like such a things, but I don't have much time with it these days. I used to follow unicorn jelly a long time ago, kind of funny, if you have time you can check it out. It is a bit outdated now and probably not the best, but it contains many references to a lot of things and I had quite some laughs reading it.

I think someone from here ? had pointed me to it. It is an very weird tale, too.
I didn't like that it grew darker and darker in its progress.

Back
Top Bottom